VOGONS

Socket 370 VIA C3 Retro DOS PC

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 48, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure a Voodoo1 will work properly on this system. The card has issues with later Pentium II (400MHz) systems and above.

You can use it just fine without an extension cable as others have suggested, a two monitor setup could work for troubleshooting for the time being. I'd try a Glide game such as Tomb Raider and an early Direct3D game, such as say Motoracer 1.

Reply 41 of 48, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Garrett W wrote on 2020-12-02, 09:31:

I'm not sure a Voodoo1 will work properly on this system. The card has issues with later Pentium II (400MHz) systems and above.

You can use it just fine without an extension cable as others have suggested, a two monitor setup could work for troubleshooting for the time being. I'd try a Glide game such as Tomb Raider and an early Direct3D game, such as say Motoracer 1.

I'm only running DOS, so I tried the Tomb Raider 3Dfx demo, but that didn't work. I can slow down the system using SetMul, but my BIOS does not let me pick a slower FSB than 100 MHz, and the motherboard doesn't have any jumpers either.
Is there any software that will let me set the FSB in DOS? Both the CPU and the motherboard support 66 MHz, but the BIOS won't let me select it.

DOS PC: Socket 370 / VIA C3 1.0 GHz / S3 Trio64V2/DX + Trident Blade3D / SBPro + YMF744 + AWE64 + SC-7

Reply 42 of 48, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The VGA extension cable finally arrived. Pass through video works fine with the AGP. However, when I run any glide tests or the 3Dfx Tomb Raider demo I get a "no signal" on my monitor. Using SetMul or reducing the RAM clock doesn't seem to make any difference. I guess the Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo 1 card really doesn't like the 100 MHz FSB. Oh, well. So much for my first foray into the land of Voodoo. The card is NOS so should hopefully keep well in storage, until I can find a use for it.

DOS PC: Socket 370 / VIA C3 1.0 GHz / S3 Trio64V2/DX + Trident Blade3D / SBPro + YMF744 + AWE64 + SC-7

Reply 43 of 48, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
enaiel wrote on 2020-12-04, 23:06:

The VGA extension cable finally arrived. Pass through video works fine with the AGP. However, when I run any glide tests or the 3Dfx Tomb Raider demo I get a "no signal" on my monitor. Using SetMul or reducing the RAM clock doesn't seem to make any difference. I guess the Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo 1 card really doesn't like the 100 MHz FSB. Oh, well. So much for my first foray into the land of Voodoo. The card is NOS so should hopefully keep well in storage, until I can find a use for it.

I use a voodoo1 in a ss7 system with k6-3+. I use voodoo2 sli in my s370 rig. Can you reduce fsb with jumpers?

Reply 44 of 48, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-12-04, 23:10:

I use a voodoo1 in a ss7 system with k6-3+. I use voodoo2 sli in my s370 rig. Can you reduce fsb with jumpers?

This motherboard doesn't have any jumpers sadly. Everything is controlled from the BIOS.

Reply 45 of 48, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Added a new piece of hardware to the build - a Roland SC-7! I was hoping to use it to mix the output of the YMF744, but the input volume is very low, no matter whether I use Input 1 or 2, and no matter what I set the Input 1 Level knob to. Ended up adding the SC-7 to the line-in of the YMF744 via a stereo splitter. Been listening to a few old MIDIs, and it sounds great!

Attachments

Reply 46 of 48, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Via C3 CPUs are excellent for retro PCS. I have a Nehemiah 1.2ghz. It has better floating point than the Ezra which helps a lot with quake and other software game. I get roughly similar performance to a 600mhz pentium 3 at full speed.

FASTVID does nothing for me but MTRRLFBE with the "LC WC" flags on my quadro FX card roughly doubles my performance in PC bench and increases my frame rate from 45fps to 60 fps in quake at 640x480.

Reply 47 of 48, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-04-21, 21:30:

Via C3 CPUs are excellent for retro PCS. I have a Nehemiah 1.2ghz. It has better floating point than the Ezra which helps a lot with quake and other software game. I get roughly similar performance to a 600mhz pentium 3 at full speed.

FASTVID does nothing for me but MTRRLFBE with the "LC WC" flags on my quadro FX card roughly doubles my performance in PC bench and increases my frame rate from 45fps to 60 fps in quake at 640x480.

Agree, the VIA C3 has been super compatible and works great with the SETMUL utility. Unfortunately for me, MTRRLFBE LFB WC increases my framerate from 16fps to only 20fps in Quake at 640x480.

And I still have the problem that my Voodoo 1 won't work with this motherboard. Have tried everything I could think of, but it seems that some Voodoo 1 cards simply won't work with some motherboards 🙁.

Reply 48 of 48, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a couple of questions regarding the SC-7:

1. Is there any battery that needs to be changed like in the SC-55? I couldn't find anything in the manual, and I'm guessing since it doesn't have any settings that it doesn't need one, but I just wanted to confirm.

2. For games that use General MIDI, is there any difference between SC-55 and SC-7? I can understand for games that specify SC-55 or MT-32 and the like that there would be a major difference, but for General MIDI, do the games detect the MIDI module and play different music? For example, does DOOM music sound different on a SC-7 vs a SC-55?

Thanks!