Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bloodem wrote on 2021-05-04, 07:54:

Thanks! The bus speed control through software does sound very nice 😀
The only "problem" I see would be the need for a slotket (I usually try to avoid these for my builds).

If you stick with the MSI MS-6905 2.0 Master Sloket you shouldn't have any problems.

Its my main retro PC now. It ticks all the boxes for me in regards to sound, gfx and flexibility. I am thinking of removing the back plate from the Matrox M3D and place it in the shared PCI slot so I can add a SB Live purely for Win98 Sound (No DOS Compatibility installation) .

Reply 21 of 25, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bancho wrote on 2021-05-04, 08:40:
bloodem wrote on 2021-05-04, 07:54:

Thanks! The bus speed control through software does sound very nice 😀
The only "problem" I see would be the need for a slotket (I usually try to avoid these for my builds).

If you stick with the MSI MS-6905 2.0 Master Sloket you shouldn't have any problems.

Its my main retro PC now. It ticks all the boxes for me in regards to sound, gfx and flexibility. I am thinking of removing the back plate from the Matrox M3D and place it in the shared PCI slot so I can add a SB Live purely for Win98 Sound (No DOS Compatibility installation) .

I use an Audigy 2ZS for windows and it's pretty great. The DAC is very clean, but even with SPDIF it sounds a bit better than all of my other 98 sound cards .

Reply 22 of 25, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bloodem wrote on 2021-05-04, 06:24:

Sounds very interesting! Any advantage in using the Gigabyte BX board (which seems to be very popular in conjunction with VIA C3) as opposed to other boards?
I'm thinking of building a VIA C3 platform myself and I'm still doing research regarding potential motherboards. 😀

same seen this build before more than once but I like to make my own builds. I have a ABIT slotket III which does everything the MSI one does at least regarding a C3. Nobody ever mentions it.

Reply 23 of 25, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Added a SB Live! to the machine today. This thing is pretty much full now. To make space for the live, I removed the bracket from the Matrox M3D and placed it in the PCI slot shared with the ISA Slot. Installed the Live! using the Audigy 2 Drivers, but not installing any of the SB16 Legacy stuff as the Awe32 covers that. The Live is to handle purely the Win98 Sound duties. I'm really pleased with how this machine has turned out, and its pretty loaded in regards to sound now (Live, AWE32 (Korg DB), TB Malibu, MQ Midi Card with DBX2, and all the external modules attached to the MQ Card)

FU1LB4a.jpg
BQStXgil.jpg
PFgyQxzl.jpg
az7eq7Ol.jpg

Reply 24 of 25, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's a beautiful sight. I love seeing a motherboard fully loaded with expansion cards. This is a really great system and just so versatile for playing a wide age range of games.