VOGONS

Reply 20 of 42, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Cyrix MII-300GP arrived today for the sum of £11. The current PX5 BIOS I have does not seem to support the 300, however, it booted instantly claiming there was a Cyrix PR266 installed. Once in the BIOS I was able to set it up manually in the CPU Soft Menu...

sXGLUAk.jpg

Onto the Benchmarks... (Before / After)

Cyrix 6x86 PR166+ @ 133mhz

3DBench 1.0C - 183.2
Chris's 3D BenchMark - 172.4
Chris's 3D BenchMark 640x480 - 65.6 (39.3 FPS)
PC Player Benchmark 640x480 - 18.5
Doom Min Details (Slower PCs) - 2134 Gametics in 324 Realtics
Doom For Faster PCs (Max Details) - 2134 Gametics in 1090 Realtics
Quake Timedemo - 24.6fps
Quake Timedemo 360x480 - 11.3fps

Cyrix MII 300+ @ 233mhz

3DBench 1.0C - 274.4
Chris's 3D BenchMark - 264.9 (158.9 FPS)
Chris's 3D BenchMark 640x480 - 97.2 (58.3 FPS)
PC Player Benchmark 640x480 - 29.4
Doom Min Details (Slower PCs) - 2134 Gametics in 257 Realtics
Doom For Faster PCs (Max Details) - 2134 Gametics in 881 Realtics
Quake Timedemo - 41.8fps
Quake Timedemo 360x480 - 18.3fps

I have to say, what I've tested so far - It was a very decent upgrade. All DOS SVGA games run much quicker and able to go back to full screen/high detail in most cases. Quake seems much more playable now - although I have other machines to play this flawlessly.

uMwtTFY.jpg

CPUz reveals that the processor is a match for the Pentium MMX 200 FPU wise, however, the ALU probably resembles a K6/PII?
I've had to upgrade the Socket 7 cooler for a slightly bigger one as this CPU pumps out a little more heat. The bearings are shot on this temporary one so will order another cooler. I'm looking to replace the fan with a 60mm NOC to keep the noise down.

Really pleased I kept the Cyrix path, even if I did have to upgrade! 😀

One problem I do have, if anyone can help me is Speedsys will not run. It locks up at "Read MSRs" I've tried various switches, it's only started since I upgraded to the MII.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    Filename
    image0.jpeg
    File size
    1.1 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by foey on 2022-09-06, 21:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 22 of 42, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry for the slow reply, Real-Life gotta hold of me 😢

Here're some benches from my MI 300 (233MHz) machine - yours is a little quicker overall by the looks.

3DBench 1.0C - 274.4
Chris's 3D BenchMark - 161 FPS
Chris's 3D BenchMark 640x480 - 51.2 FPS
PC Player Benchmark 640x480 - 32.7
Doom For Faster PCs (Max Details) - 2134 Gametics in 789 Realtics
Quake Timedemo - 35.3 FPS

Pretty good scores from the humble Cyrix I think and a very useful machine for both early (when slowed down) and late DOS games - even some early 3D if you put a Voodoo in 👍

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 23 of 42, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rawit wrote on 2021-02-25, 20:50:

You might be able to squeeze more performance out of your S3 card with this:S3VBEFIX - PC\MS-DOS TSR fix for S3 VESA 2.0 video BIOS

Thanks for the link, I did try this however found it made quite a benchmarks slower. Will stick with the S3VBE patch.

badmojo wrote on 2021-03-02, 10:52:
Sorry for the slow reply, Real-Life gotta hold of me 😢 […]
Show full quote

Sorry for the slow reply, Real-Life gotta hold of me 😢

Here're some benches from my MI 300 (233MHz) machine - yours is a little quicker overall by the looks.

3DBench 1.0C - 274.4
Chris's 3D BenchMark - 161 FPS
Chris's 3D BenchMark 640x480 - 51.2 FPS
PC Player Benchmark 640x480 - 32.7
Doom For Faster PCs (Max Details) - 2134 Gametics in 789 Realtics
Quake Timedemo - 35.3 FPS

Pretty good scores from the humble Cyrix I think and a very useful machine for both early (when slowed down) and late DOS games - even some early 3D if you put a Voodoo in 👍

Both machines quite closely matched. I can only assume the difference is Graphics Card and Chipset. How are you getting on with the X-Miles add-on?

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 24 of 42, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Dreamblaster S2 arrived today!

I've just fitted it, however, I can't seem to get any general midi in DOS. All my games were previously set up with Sound Blaster FM. I've since booted into Windows and can now hear the dreamblaster. More tinkering tonight for sure 😀 Managed to fix it thanks to this thread :- ISA ESS AudioDrive, ES1868F - No Midi in DOS
Sounds great, even better way of upgrading a budget card.

Attachments

• IMG_1501.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1501.jpg
    File size
    1.44 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 25 of 42, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally received my new Heatsink/Fan through the Post. I bought a StarTech 65x60x45mm Socket 7/370 CPU Cooler Fan, new (You have to buy at least two though...) and replaced the Fan with a Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX.

It's so much quieter, I've not even had to use the fan adapters to make it quieter. I can't drown out the Quantum drive 😀 Anyway, enjoy the photos!

0a6GsB8.jpg

vrZoIp7.jpg

RnuAJhf.jpg

I also received a brand new Gravis gamepad from 1998-99 it appears, with a game port connector.

83E2FoZ.jpg

Attachments

• HSFan-WP1440.jpg
    Filename
    HSFan-WP1440.jpg
    File size
    888.28 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 26 of 42, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Received my RAM for the S3 Graphics card today. I bought 4x ETRON EM614163A-50 from the following seller...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-ETRON-EM614163A … 353.m2749.l2649

It was promptly shipped to the UK within a couple of weeks. Fitted them today and working perfectly. I fired up Tomb Raider II which was missing half the textures with 2mb of RAM, they now have returned! I need to test some more games and report back.)

FtDe2N2.jpg

IfrKLkU.jpg

The bad news is that the Quantum 2.1Gb hard drive is starting to fail! I was playing some Doom II the other night and saw some very unexpected pauses, then onto read/write errors. I was lucky to get a full backup thanks to the DOS FTP program. I've installed a 20Gb WD IDE drive from 2001 which I had laying around. It's so much quicker, almost feels like a new PC now!

Reply 27 of 42, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah Virge 325 3D Decellerator.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 28 of 42, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
matze79 wrote on 2021-03-08, 19:26:

So true! Everything runs so much better in Software. But's been pretty cool playing with the specific game patches. Great dos compatibility though and the VGA output is crystal clear.

Reply 29 of 42, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
foey wrote on 2021-03-08, 17:30:
Received my RAM for the S3 Graphics card today. I bought 4x ETRON EM614163A-50 from the following seller... https://www.ebay.co. […]
Show full quote

Received my RAM for the S3 Graphics card today. I bought 4x ETRON EM614163A-50 from the following seller...

It was promptly shipped to the UK within a couple of weeks. Fitted them today and working perfectly. I fired up Tomb Raider II which was missing half the textures with 2mb of RAM, they now have returned! I need to test some more games and report back.)

FtDe2N2.jpg

IfrKLkU.jpg

The bad news is that the Quantum 2.1Gb hard drive is starting to fail! I was playing some Doom II the other night and saw some very unexpected pauses, then onto read/write errors. I was lucky to get a full backup thanks to the DOS FTP program. I've installed a 20Gb WD IDE drive from 2001 which I had laying around. It's so much quicker, almost feels like a new PC now!

I'm sorry for being off-topic here for a bit, but may I say that I love the pictures you posted here? <3
Only itsybitsy I would comment on is of course that some bits are a bit unsharp, but I really like the way you shot your pics =)

Btw, how long did your Quantum harddrive ended up lasting? It was not a bigfoot I presume?

EDIT: You mentioned Quantum Fireball in your OP so definitely not a Bigfoot 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 30 of 42, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2021-03-08, 19:57:
I'm sorry for being off-topic here for a bit, but may I say that I love the pictures you posted here? <3 Only itsybitsy I would […]
Show full quote
Received my RAM for the S3 Graphics card today. I bought 4x ETRON EM614163A-50 from the following seller... https://www.ebay.co. […]
Show full quote

FtDe2N2.jpg

IfrKLkU.jpg

I'm sorry for being off-topic here for a bit, but may I say that I love the pictures you posted here? <3
Only itsybitsy I would comment on is of course that some bits are a bit unsharp, but I really like the way you shot your pics =)

Btw, how long did your Quantum harddrive ended up lasting? It was not a bigfoot I presume?

Thanks for the very kind comments. I try and make this old hardware as good-looking as possible!
I wish I had a better camera, your right - some of the images are a little soft. It's either taken on my Canon IXUS (Point and shoot camera) or my iPhone.

The Quantum drive is a "Quantum ST ST21A475" I can't find a date code at all on the drive but was given it in a bundle of Retro cards, CPUs, and drives. I was given two Quantum's, this one and a 1.2Gb drive. The 1.2 did not spin up at all. This did but took a couple of attempts to spin up. It has been working well, I've had the odd Windows 95 issue which I put down to drivers - but now believe to be the drive.

Whilst the 20Gb is not strictly period correct, it's much quieter and obviously have much more storage now.

Reply 31 of 42, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
foey wrote on 2021-03-08, 20:26:
Thanks for the very kind comments. I try and make this old hardware as good-looking as possible! I wish I had a better camera, […]
Show full quote
I'm sorry for being off-topic here for a bit, but may I say that I love the pictures you posted here? <3 Only itsybitsy I would […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

FtDe2N2.jpg

IfrKLkU.jpg

Thanks for the very kind comments. I try and make this old hardware as good-looking as possible!
I wish I had a better camera, your right - some of the images are a little soft. It's either taken on my Canon IXUS (Point and shoot camera) or my iPhone.

The Quantum drive is a "Quantum ST ST21A475" I can't find a date code at all on the drive but was given it in a bundle of Retro cards, CPUs, and drives. I was given two Quantum's, this one and a 1.2Gb drive. The 1.2 did not spin up at all. This did but took a couple of attempts to spin up. It has been working well, I've had the odd Windows 95 issue which I put down to drivers - but now believe to be the drive.

Whilst the 20Gb is not strictly period correct, it's much quieter and obviously have much more storage now.

During that era, harddrive manufacturers tended to make the platters move faster and faster, which increased the constant wining noise they often tended to make.
There were still quieter drives out there but you really needed to look for very specific models and then test them as bearings can wear out.
At around when 20GB drives started to come out, they started to become much more noticeably quieter. I'm not sure which exact model it was but I liked the 20GB WD 3.5in harddrives because of their relative silence compared to the drives that preceded it.. Not all 20GB WD harddrives were equally silent btw.

Not sure these drives were already fluid bearings but this became a thing around that era (though ball bearings continued to be used in many drives for a while after fluid bearing harddrives started to phase out ball bearings).

Report spammers here!

Reply 32 of 42, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote on 2021-03-08, 20:37:
During that era, harddrive manufacturers tended to make the platters move faster and faster, which increased the constant wining […]
Show full quote
Thanks for the very kind comments. I try and make this old hardware as good-looking as possible! I wish I had a better camera, […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

During that era, harddrive manufacturers tended to make the platters move faster and faster, which increased the constant wining noise they often tended to make.
There were still quieter drives out there but you really needed to look for very specific models and then test them as bearings can wear out.
At around when 20GB drives started to come out, they started to become much more noticeably quieter. I'm not sure which exact model it was but I liked the 20GB WD 3.5in harddrives because of their relative silence compared to the drives that preceded it.. Not all 20GB WD harddrives were equally silent btw.

Not sure these drives were already fluid bearings but this became a thing around that era (though ball bearings continued to be used in many drives for a while after fluid bearing harddrives started to phase out ball bearings).

what exactly was the whine from? unclean waveform in the motor? later models used pure sine and quieted it down? the motors have three leads so I assume they are inverter driven three phase. hopefully the whine wasn't the bearings 🤣

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 33 of 42, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-03-09, 01:18:
Tetrium wrote on 2021-03-08, 20:37:
During that era, harddrive manufacturers tended to make the platters move faster and faster, which increased the constant wining […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

what exactly was the whine from? unclean waveform in the motor? later models used pure sine and quieted it down? the motors have three leads so I assume they are inverter driven three phase. hopefully the whine wasn't the bearings 🤣

Fluid bearings refers to the bearings.
Yes it was the bearings.
Particularly the older SCSI drives were often horrible to have to listen to. I would have loved to have build an old SCSI build back then but I just couldn't bear the whine >.<

Report spammers here!

Reply 34 of 42, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1: Awesome build and documentation!
2: nice to see there are other people who like cyrix cpu
3: ESS ISA card is great for DOS gaming and the S2 is an excellent upgrade

But what I like the most is that you build a system out of budget parts. It is pretty much what I have had back then. Same CPU but I had an ALS soundcard and -because cheap- the legendary quantum bigfoot HDD 😀 My VGA was a Cirrus Logic. What I really like is the unique and grainy look of the games in S3 "decellerators" mode. Today, I have the choice as well but also run my Testbench with a SS7 Board and a Cyrix MII 300. But mine looks different. It is not black but has this gold cap look.

Reply 35 of 42, by CBM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
foey wrote on 2021-03-08, 19:40:
matze79 wrote on 2021-03-08, 19:26:

So true! Everything runs so much better in Software. But's been pretty cool playing with the specific game patches. Great dos compatibility though and the VGA output is crystal clear.

I remember using two virge dx pci cards to have additional monitors on my pc back in the win98se days. My main gpu back then was a riva tnt 2 agp card

Main PC SPECS:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Powercolor Red Devil Radeon RX 5700 XT
RAM: 8GB*4 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450M-A
PSU: Corsair RM850

Reply 36 of 42, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's been a while since I've posted. The machine has sat next to my main rig unpowered for a number of months. Just recently I got the desire to get back on it and have used it loads.
I started up an Instagram account @x86retro I've started to use it as an excuse to drag down my retro PCs.

I managed to find a 17" E173FP DELL LCD VGA to dedicate to this PC, it's been unused in a comms room for the last 8 years. I have a rather nice DELL 20" 4:3 on my desk already but it does not support lower resolutions such as 320x200 - such a pain! It's also located on the side of my desk and does not move to a central location.

XEPhvb4.jpg

Anyway onto the updates...

Another Hard drive replacement!
It appears the 20Gb drive I replaced was starting to cause read errors and develop noises. I quickly pulled it out and replaced it with a Samsung 160Gb IDE Drive. Whilst not strictly period correct, it gives me a reliable mechanical noise! I had to set the 32Gb limit via the jumper on the drive, it was picked up and had Windows 95 OS2 installed on it in no time.

Overclocking
I increased the FSB from 66mhz to 75mhz, the CPU now runs at 266mhz. It makes for a decent FPS jump in Quake. It's also very stable!

Cyrix MII 300+ @ 233mhz (66mhz fsb, Stock)

3DBench 1.0C - 274.4
Chris's 3D BenchMark - 264.9 (158.9 FPS)
PC Player Benchmark 640x480 - 29.4
Doom Min Details (Slower PCs) - 2134 Gametics in 257 Realtics
Doom For Faster PCs (Max Details) - 2134 Gametics in 881 Realtics
Quake Timedemo - 41.8fps
Quake Timedemo 360x480 - 18.3fps

Cyrix MII 300+ @ 266mhz (75mhz fsb, Overclocked)

3DBench 1.0C - 294.4
Chris's 3D BenchMark - 284.5 (170.7 FPS)
PC Player Benchmark 640x480 - 72.4
Doom Min Details (Slower PCs) - 2134 Gametics in 229 Realtics
Doom For Faster PCs (Max Details) - 2134 Gametics in 797Realtics
Quake Timedemo - 43.8fps
Quake Timedemo 360x480 - 18.7fps

jgmtbfF.jpg

0ihL6Wa.jpg

This then led me down the path of Quake II / Unreal to see if I could get to a playable state! I've posted some Reels on my Instagram of Software mode! Both are borderline playable!

More updates to follow 😀

Last edited by foey on 2022-09-06, 21:28. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 37 of 42, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

More Upgrades 23/08/2022

Having never completed Quake II before, I wanted to complete it on this machine - to defy the "Cyrix Killer" game! 😀 But... I would need some form of 3D card. Running in software mode was playable, but frequent dips in single-figure frames make it hard! After much deliberation and some help from Instagram, I decided to install a Voodoo 2.

VCCICZU.jpg

Diamond Monster 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12mb Card. The perfect use case for a voodoo 2 imo, upgrading a lowly non-AGP/3D Capable machine. My only concern was heat. Cooling an AT case has always been a pain, no external vents/fan mounts, and wanted to avoid cutting the case apart. I decided I would buy a PCI slot cooler. These were very popular back in the day, often quite noisy. I'm pleased to say this is fairly quiet and shifts a considerable amount of air outside of the case.

w0rPnM7.jpg

chocOqJ.jpg

vcScDnc.jpg

R7MCJHq.jpg

NJCbV95.jpg

S9WVAj8.jpg

tqjZ0AY.jpg

Installation went smooth, I've installed the Fast Voodoo drivers on Windows 95.

Reply 39 of 42, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you need more cyrix speed, grab a 2.2v cyrix chip. 2.0-2.2v 266gp, 300p and 333gp chips pop up on ebay a lot and often are good for 300-350mhz at 2.4v and of course there is also the more rare 400gp-433gp variants. (Is there a 366 2.2?)

Re: Cyrix 400gp multiplier settings

https://youtu.be/jx-KE-xlNS0

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)