VOGONS

Dual socket 7 build

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 74, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GPT disks on windows XP SP3 (partially solved)

Has anyone ever installed windows 7 on a non acpi motherboard? If so how?

Re: ATI Rage 128 Pro Won't Post
got a fx 5500 in it now

build is starting to come together

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 21 of 74, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What bloat ?

Windows xp is more bloated then 2000 😝

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 22 of 74, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Updates.

Got it working as a network share.

Initial network speed tests are in

3megs/sec at 80% cpus usage with usb 3.0 gigabit nic

4.5 megs a second 70% cpus usage with 10/100 pci nic

These results are kinda weird. Obviously neither neither the network, the cpus or the pci/usb are saturated. I wonder what is slowing it down...

This is fast enough for my uses over the network though but is going to be quite the pain transferring files.

Thoughts on speeding it up?

I have a gigabit realtec nic but it doesn’t even show up in device manager when I install it in the computer. And sometimes conflicts with other cards preventing booting

I was wanting to buy a killer nic but can’t find one for sale..

It’s idling at around 3-4% cpus usage and 95mb of ram right now (of 512mb)

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 23 of 74, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-02-25, 07:53:
Updates. […]
Show full quote

Updates.

These results are kinda weird. Obviously neither neither the network, the cpus or the pci/usb are saturated. I wonder what is slowing it down...

This is fast enough for my uses over the network though but is going to be quite the pain transferring files.

I have a gigabit realtec nic but it doesn’t even show up in device manager when I install it in the computer. And sometimes conflicts with other cards preventing booting

Strange, if I'm up to date on your system you're running XP (98 suffers from slow network transfers) and you've determined your disk to be fast enough (i.e. not running in some slow PIO mode).
I'm surprised the PCI and USB nics are so close, as USB should have way higher CPU utilization. What kind of a PCI NIC is it?
Maybe memory bandwidth is your issue, although the throughput seems too low for that.

I used to use a P1-200 running M0n0wall as a router and I think it could push 100mbit.

Reply 24 of 74, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Oetker wrote on 2021-02-25, 08:13:
Strange, if I'm up to date on your system you're running XP (98 suffers from slow network transfers) and you've determined your […]
Show full quote
Updates. […]
Show full quote

Updates.

Strange, if I'm up to date on your system you're running XP (98 suffers from slow network transfers) and you've determined your disk to be fast enough (i.e. not running in some slow PIO mode).
I'm surprised the PCI and USB nics are so close, as USB should have way higher CPU utilization. What kind of a PCI NIC is it?
Maybe memory bandwidth is your issue, although the throughput seems too low for that.

I used to use a P1-200 running M0n0wall as a router and I think it could push 100mbit.

it's some linksys 10/100 running a realtec chipset I think

what is odd is nothing appears to be maxed out and the speed is between 10 and 100 speeds odd...

trying linux now

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 25 of 74, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-02-25, 09:46:
it's some linksys 10/100 running a realtec chipset I think […]
Show full quote
Strange, if I'm up to date on your system you're running XP (98 suffers from slow network transfers) and you've determined your […]
Show full quote
Updates. […]
Show full quote

Updates.

what is odd is nothing appears to be maxed out and the speed is between 10 and 100 speeds odd...

trying linux now

Good idea to try another OS, a higher-quality NIC (Intel) could help as well but I wouldn't expect the difference to be that large.

Reply 26 of 74, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

3COM and Netgear were the nics to have for Windows 9x... For XP, Intel should be fine as older Realtek were sometimes kinda wonky.

Make sure you have a NIC that does hardware offloading.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 27 of 74, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-02-25, 10:19:

3COM and Netgear were the nics to have for Windows 9x... For XP, Intel should be fine as older Realtek were sometimes kinda wonky.

Make sure you have a NIC that does hardware offloading.

Oetker wrote on 2021-02-25, 10:03:
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-02-25, 09:46:
it's some linksys 10/100 running a realtec chipset I think […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

trying linux now

Good idea to try another OS, a higher-quality NIC (Intel) could help as well but I wouldn't expect the difference to be that large.

I want to try to find a pci killer nic but can't seem to locate one

got ubuntu 10.04 installed. haven't been able to figure out how to share anything but it's slow as crap something has both cpus pegged at 100% compared to 3-4% of windows XP

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 29 of 74, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if you want a "killer" nic. Look for the Intel PRO series.

Both the 10/100 and gigabit series cards have a lot of features that offload work onto the card, and not the CPU. Drivers are mature and even still updated from time to time. I looked at the pro 10/100 drivers recently and the DOS drivers were updated by intel in 2019.

I've literally thrown away any network card (pci) that wasn't intel or 3com.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 30 of 74, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote on 2021-02-25, 16:41:

Both the 10/100 and gigabit series cards have a lot of features that offload work onto the card, and not the CPU. Drivers are mature and even still updated from time to time. I looked at the pro 10/100 drivers recently and the DOS drivers were updated by intel in 2019.

how's OS support? win 9x? XP?

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2021-02-25, 17:43. Edited 2 times in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 31 of 74, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think he's talking about this card specifically: Killer NIC M1 Gaming Network Card / Wikipedia article
Not just 'killer' as in 'great'.

Last edited by Doornkaat on 2021-02-25, 17:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 32 of 74, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-02-25, 17:33:

the intel cards are supported on any OS you can think of. I'm also fairly certain the 3com ones are equally as supported. I know for a fact win9X and newer supports the 3com right out of the box.

Reply 33 of 74, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote on 2021-02-25, 17:37:
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-02-25, 17:33:

the intel cards are supported on any OS you can think of. I'm also fairly certain the 3com ones are equally as supported. I know for a fact win9X and newer supports the 3com right out of the box.

Intel 8492MT 82546EB PCI 2-Ports Gigabit Ethernet Adapter Network Card NIC DD

what do you think of this one? the others I see are pci X (not express) which I could use but would rather have something that doesn't hang over

yeah, I am talking about the killer nic 🤣

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 34 of 74, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i threw that into ebay, and that looks like a cheap chinese knockoff card. I wouldn't recommend using that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254621849752

if you don't want it to overhang, the pro/1000 GT is the card you want.

The killer nic is a crappy copy of the Intel chip with buggy drivers. I wouldn't use one if someone handed me $100 to do it.

Reply 35 of 74, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote on 2021-02-25, 17:54:

The killer nic is a crappy copy of the Intel chip with buggy drivers. I wouldn't use one if someone handed me $100 to do it.

I'm fairly certain you're more knowledgeable than me regarding hardware and I agree that the product isn't worth the hassle but I do not understand how the Killer NIC (K1 or M1) are copies of any Intel chip.
Could you explain?

Reply 36 of 74, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://techreport.com/review/29144/revisitin … eight-years-on/

There are a few games that seem to work a bit better, but nothing even remotely worth the extra cost over a standard adapter.

The problem is software support. It likely won't support pre XP operating systems. To be fair, I haven't looked into it myself.

To reiterate, i go with Intel & 3Com, as they are fast, cheap, and well supported. I want to plug things in, and have them work with minimal fvcking about. There are plenty of other products that work okay, Realtek comes to mind, but the fewer drivers I have to hunt down, the happier I am.

Reply 37 of 74, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote on 2021-02-25, 17:54:
i threw that into ebay, and that looks like a cheap chinese knockoff card. I wouldn't recommend using that. […]
Show full quote

i threw that into ebay, and that looks like a cheap chinese knockoff card. I wouldn't recommend using that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254621849752

if you don't want it to overhang, the pro/1000 GT is the card you want.

The card you found isn’t the one I was looking at.

Okay I’ll searh for that.

I would post the link but a admin told me not to post ebay links there are a unusual number of strange rules here.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 38 of 74, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yea that ebay rule is the result of a 5-6 year long forum thread going absolutely tits up. I think the mods let me get away with it because it's usually to answer an inquiry, and never a self promotion listing.

That or they like me, but I doubt that.

Reply 39 of 74, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Be interested in looking at the spec sheets between a GT and a MT. I used a MT adapter. Not sure if GT is better or not. PWLA8492MT Thats not going to work for you though as its for 3.3v slots only. I think your board only supports 5v slots. So thats something to consider.