VOGONS

First post, by Saxo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, I'm new and this is my first post, I don't know if there's necessity of a bit of presentation.
If not, well, I'm going to describe my problem:

I've this IBM Aptiva 2144-743 and I've decided to switch on it (the last time was soo many years ago) , but when I've clicked the button , the fan started up but It switch off immediately.
Soo thinking that was the power maybe? Then I've tryed to switch the red lever in the back of the pc, from 230V to 115V and........I messed up , there was a bang and some smoke comes out from the PSU fan.

I've tried to open it but I don't know how to do this

Can you give me some help, starting from open it? This is my first approach on a very old and magnificent machine, but I know nothing, really 🤣ù

I'm truly grateful, have a nice day !

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't open it without basic knowledge about PSUs first. It can shock you if handled incorrectly.
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/supplies … ers-part-1.html

Reply 5 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://ps-2.kev009.com/pccbbs/aptiva/2144_68a.pdf
page 4-2 or 128 of the pdf.

But you've 100% killed the power supply so your not going to be able to do much.

Your obviously learning (as flicking that switch will even kill new PSU's) and nothing wrong with that we all had to start somewhere but post pics of the power supply connecters here before doing anything else.
The good news is the PSU probably sacrificed itself and saved rest of the PC.

The standard AT power supply cable to the motherboard was in 2 parts. You always connect "black to black"

AT.png
Filename
AT.png
File size
38.42 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

IBM's aren't necessarily standard though, Post here may help if it isn't a generic PSU but you would want to double check if its applicable to a 2144-743 as I'm not sure
Re: IBM pc 330 450dx2 PSU questions