VOGONS

First post, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the time being I'm finished with my XP/Vista dual boot PC and since I've never posted in this topic, I thought I'll commemorate the day. I was aiming to have a mostly period correct PC for games from about 2002 to about 2010.

h3NuyLtm.jpg
Click image for imgur gallery

Specs:

Open specifications

Motherboard: ASUS P5E-VM HDMI

• I wasn't all that picky with this one. I had only 3 conditions. It had to be micro-ATX, it had to have P35 or P45 chipset and it had to have a PCI-e 1x slot on the CPU side of the PCI-e 16x slot so if I add a sound card, it won't obstruct the air flow for the graphics card. I sadly got it without an IO shield.

Processor: Intel Core2Quad Q6600 2.4GHz with Zalman CNPS90F cooler

• I salvaged at work from a dead motherboard. It would have been thrown out, so I just replaced it with a Celeron D. The CPU is one with the later steppings. The cooler is not something I bought for this exact CPU, it intended it for a Q8200S with 65W TDP and was concerned that it won't be enough for the 95W Q6600, but keeps it under 65C° even under load and I'm not planning any OC so it does it's job.

Memory: Kingmax 4GB DDR2-800MHz (4×1GB)

• I could go with 2×2GB with the option of upgrading to 8GB, but I wanted to populate all slots and the games I'm planning to play on this doesn't require more than 8GB anyway. At first I used mismatched RAM sticks, Kingmax and Hynix, but one of the Hynix sticks died so I replaced it with another set of Kingmax.

Graphics Card: Gainward Geforce 8800GT 512MB

• Initially I was using this with an 8800 Ultra, but I thought it was too hot, too loud and too valuable, so I replaced it with a GT. It's one of the later models manufactured on the 65nm process. Slower than the Ultra was, but not that much. At the resolution I'm shooting for the Ultra's bandwidth advantage makes little difference so the deciding factor is more the difference in GPU power.

Graphics Card: Palit Geforce GTS450 1GB GDDR5

• Came as a second upgrade. The 8800GT was too hot. I was looking for a time fore a fitting cooler, but I got a full working card with 30% lower TDP yet 25% higher performance.

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-fi Extreme Music SB0460

• I just happened to be able to pick this up for cheap. I shot myself in the leg regarding airflow to the 8800GT, but with some fan control tweaking in MSI Afterburner, I can keep it just below 80C° under load most of the times. I'll probably replace it with a PCI-e 1x sound card at some point. For now it does it's job well.

Hard Drive: Hitachi HTS545032B9A300 320GB 5600RPM (Windows XP)

• It used to be the hard drive of the notebook I used during college, but the notebook fried itself. It really was a flawed design. However anything except the motherboard still useable. The drive is maybe a little on the slow side, but the PC is still responsive enough and the load times are decent so I'm not unsatisfied.

Hard Drive: Hitachi HTS725050A7E360 500GB 7200RPM (Vista x64)

• And this was the hard drive of my currently used notebook I instantly replaced with an SSD. Nothing much to say about it. Same as the other, does it's job with adequate speed.

Drive Bay: Chieftec CMR-225

• I was planning to use this in my desktop daily driver if I should ever need to dual boot Windows with Linux, but it ended up being unnecessary. I have no use for Windows. However it's still a neat drive bay allowing me to insert to 2.5" drives in one 3.5" slot with the advantage that I can physically disconnect the drive I'm not booting.

Optical Drive: Dell PLDS DVD+/-RW DH-16AES

• It was part of a Dell prebuilt office PC. I wanted to use the drive of my previous daily driver, but it started to develop mechanical issues so I picked up the one instead.

Memory Card Reader: Chieftec CRD-501 50in1

• I had this in my previous daily driver. I just find it useful to have one at hand, it fills a 3.5" drive slot, gives an additional USB port and a CF card slot so I can easily move data to other builds I'm using with IDE-CF adapters.

Case: Gigabyte GZ-M1

• Also from my previous daily driver. Not the most convenient, but it served me well for the past 12 years and I think it looks elegant.

Power Supply: FSP500-70EP

• I picked it up used for testing purposes, but it has plenty of power and 80+ bronze certification. Over all a decent budget PSU.

Monitor: AMW X1700DS

• I bought this for my mother some 10-ish years ago for about 60$, then after she got herself a bigger one I used it as a secondary monitor, then became my main retro monitor. It's a surprisingly decent one. 1280×1024 resolution, officially with 60Hz refresh rate (1024×768@75; 1152×864@72), but a lot of games allow me to use it in 1280×1024@75Hz. It has good image quality, DVI and VGA input, the built in speakers have surprisingly good sound quality (beats my 500$ Philips monitor I use for my daily driver by a LOT). Isn't prone to ghosting or screen tearing. I really like this monitor.

Keyboard: BTC 5139 E5XKBM10140

• An old AT keyboard I'm using with AT to PS2 adapter. Really high quality, comparable to the 100$ ASUS Strix mechanical keyboard I use with my daily driver.

Mouse: Genius NetScroll Eye

• A generic PS/2 optical mouse I had around. It's something I'm planning to replace with something higher quality, but not in the near future. It's reliable and does its job.

Speaker: Edifier R1280T

• The same I'm using for my daily driver. It has two audio inputs so I can connect two devices to it.

JhsF6Nwl.jpg
sAxEW7lm.jpg eUxlX8em.jpg
toWrBl4m.png p2NUuJJm.png
IMG-20220715-165353.jpg

Experiences:

Pre-upgrade (8800GT)

The past week I also made some performance tests on both Windows XP and Vista cross testing with some (title underlined) to see how do they compare. Vista has a really bad name as a bad Windows, mostly because it was buggy when it released, it was slow on outdated hardware and somehow Microsoft got hardware manufacturers with their pants down and it didn't have decent driver support. A lot of the times XP drivers with an arbitrary Vista compliant badge. Back in 2009 I was using Vista Enterprise SP1 32bit and I didn't have any issues with it. Though my PC at the time was on the lower end at the time (Athlon X2-5050e, 4GB DDR2-800, HD4670 1GB), it's leagues above what was low-end in 2006.

eucGygCh.png

Codename: Panzers - Phase One (retail): Maybe a lesser known one outside of Europe. It's a World War 2 RTS from 2004. The graphics was really impressive back in the day. Runs exceptionally well on both OSs even the 1% lows are close to 100fps. It seems to favor Vista though the difference around 10-15% when your frame rate is above 200 doesn't make a noticeable difference in gameplay. Also being an RTS it wouldn't be sensitive to low frame rate anyway.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (retail): An old favorite of mine. Only tested on XP. The frame rate also averages close to 200 with good 1% lows. The fog effect however is broken. If turned on the game doesn't load the textures.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (retail): The average frame rate is high, It seems to dip below 60 on occasion, but it's because the game unnoticeably stalls for a moment when switches to cut scenes or you open the inventory. No effect on gameplay. What has effect on gameplay is that the game crashes to the desktop. A lot.

Call of Duty (retail): locket to 60, didn't try to unlock. The 1% low is just below that, but only because it stalls for a brief moment at autosaves.

Max Payne 2: The Fall of May Payne (retail): Locked to the monitor refresh rate. Stalls for a brief moment when it switches to cut scenes. No effect on gameplay.

Unreal Tournament 2004: It seems to strongly favor XP, but I tested the retail version on XP and the GoG version on Vista. I don't know how much difference is between the two release. Still XP being almost twice as fast is a huge difference.

Half-Life 2 (retail, vengeance crack): On Vista it was only willing to launch in XP compatibility mode, otherwise it gave me an error that my PC has less than 128MB memory. Aside of that, it's slightly faster on Vista, but both are well above 100fps

Doom 3 (retail): Favors XP, there isn't much difference in average frame rate, but on Vista the game is prone to stutter.

Battlefield 2 (retail): The game has a preference for Vista when it comes to speed, but allows to set 75Hz refresh rate on XP (it breaks the game on Vista).

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (retail): Favors XP with a bigger difference, but the game runs very well on both OSs.

GTA: San Andreas (retail): On Vista it only ran in Windows 98 compatibility mode. It didn't make a difference in the visuals (or at least I didn't notice). The game is a little bit faster on Vista with much better 1% lows.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (retail): Prefers Vista with a bigger difference. The game is above 60fps on both OSs, but the speed advantage of Vista can be useful.

Mass Effect (retail): Originally I also wanted to cross test this, but I couldn't get it to launch on Vista. I installed the latest update and the community patch, also experimented with compatibility modes, but no success. From what I found the issue might be related either to the copy protection or the way Vista handles sound cards. On XP, it can benefit from lowering the details.

Quake 4 (retail): Hardver accelerated sound breaks the audio on Vista. Also on XP I forgot to turn on AA and was lazy to retest it while on Vista I tested with 8xAA. Even then, the speed difference is negligible.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (retail): The two OS are basically within the margin of error. No noticeable or even measurable speed difference.

Joint Task Force (retail): Probably another lesser known RTS from 2006. The graphics still looks nice to this day. It runs a lot better on Vista, though it can't cure the drops when opening the objectives menu or at auto saves. No effect on the game play and also as an RTS with a pause function, it's not sensitive to low frame rate.

F.E.A.R. (retail): The in-game benchmark said the minimum fps was 70 and the maximum was 389. The average is the same 147 MSI Afterburner have shown me.

Tomb Raider: Legend (retail): Runs very well, but more demanding areas can make it go below 100fps. Far from being stuttery at any moment.

Prince of Persia: Prodigy/2008 (GoG): Can't reach 60fps on average, but reliably keeps around 50.

World in Conflict (retail): The in-game benchmark claims it runs at 15/30/50 (min/avg/max fps) , MSI afterburner shows a little grimmer picture with 1% lows below 10fps, but the game goes full throttle in the benchmark. During normal gameplay it shouldn't be this demanding.

Fallout: New Vegas (GoG): In more urban parts of the game world the frame rate can dip into the high 30s and I've seen spikes on the frame time chart that I didn't notice while playing. This is actually the first time I played the game on PC and even as it is, it still beats the Xbox 360 release.

Windows XP:

ENG-XP.png

Codename: Panzers - Phase One (retail): A modest performance improvement over the 8800GT, 7.3% on average, 34% for the 1% lows. The game was already running well, now it won't go below 100fps.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (retail): 16.2% improvement on average, 88.7% on the 1% lows. A substantial and unneeded improvement, the frame rate now firmly in the triple digits.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (retail): This one however took a substantial performance hit. 36.5% on average, 54.5% on the 1% lows. The game already had frame time issues which just got worse. It's not the kind of game where this would make it unplayable, but it has an effect on enjoyment. The GTS especially dislikes particle effects. Note, it's an unpatched install.

Call of Duty (retail): A little bit of an unfair comparison, since this time I turned off Vsync. As a result even the 1% lows are close to 200fps.

Max Payne 2: The Fall of May Payne (retail): Same hare as with CoD. Almost never drops below 100fps.

Unreal Tournament 2004: Also one that is slower for some reason. -8.9% on average and -16.8% for the 1% lows. Still almost never drops below 100fps.

Half-Life 2 (retail, vengeance crack): And here is the compensation. The GTS brings +37.2% on average and +7.4% for the 1% lows.

Far Cry (retail): It's a new test subject, and performs well with the GTS. I expected a little more, but it won't hinder the enjoyment.

Doom 3 (retail): Mostly worked out the issues that kept the frame rate low. Now it's the frame limiter that keeps hardware utilization low. CPU utilization is often around 12%, GPU utilization is around 23%.

Call of Duty 2 (retail): Also a newbie and surprisingly slow compared to CoD4 (spoilers?). Not that it needs more power to be enjoyable, just weird.

Colin McRae Rally 2005 (retail): High frame rate, no issues.

Battlefield 2 (retail): There are some improvements, 5.7% on average, 11.5% on the 1% lows. The game seems to be locked to 100fps.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (retail): The game is CPU limited. No improvement on average, however 25.9% improvement on the 1% lows... which were already above 100.

GTA: San Andreas (retail): Modest improvements, 11.9% on average, 10.8% on the 1% lows. The game is CPU limited.

F.E.A.R. (retail): Last time I didn't test it on XP. However the game is slower than the 8800GT was with Vista. Also, there is still a mismatch between the built-in benchmarks frame counter and MSI Afterburner, though those numbers are also lower: 273(max), 111(avg), 57(min).

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (retail): The game must have been CPU limited on XP already. The average frame rate didn't budge, while there was an 11.4% improvements on the 1% lows.

The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (retail): Original unpatched March 2006 version. It runs well enough, but with this game I really feel the limitations of the HDD access time. Also, the game is CPU limited running only on one core.

Mass Effect (retail): +4.2% on average, +42.9% on 1% lows. Makes the game a lot more enjoyable, still leaves much to be desired.

Quake 4 (retail): As with Doom3 the issues are worked out and the new issues are exactly the same. Next to no CPU and GPU utilization.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (retail): This game really enjoys the GTS. +52.4% on average, +46.7% on the 1% lows.

Tomb Raider: Legend (retail): Also gave it a go on XP this time. The average is around the same as the 8800 on Vista, but the 1% lows are much better.

Joint Task Force (retail): +71.3% on average, +7% on the 1% lows. As with Oblivion, the biggest bottleneck is the HDD speed.

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars (retail): Last time I disqualified it, because it had the same performance issues as Doom and Quake, but on top of that it was limited to 30fps. Both issues are fixed. On average performs around the same as the other two, but because of the disabled frame limiter, it often goes above 100fps, especially inside buildings.

Windows Vista:

Coming soon.

Last edited by RandomStranger on 2022-07-26, 18:03. Edited 2 times in total.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 2 of 17, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like these part build PC's. It's all too easy to go out and get the fastest CPU, best sound card or whatever ignoring bits of hardware in a box that realistically will do the job just fine.
This era of gaming is right at the end of my interest. Love GTA SA, Don't mind NFS (prefer NFS3, 4, Porsche) so interesting to see that they actually do better in Vista.

Reply 3 of 17, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, this covers my high school and early college years so very nostalgic period to me. As hardware the P3 era is still the closest to my heart, but regarding games, I was most active in the 2000s. Maybe not the best and fastest of that era, but it' something I could only dream back then. I see the appeal of owning the most high-end stuff, I bought that 8800 Ultra for a reason, but budget parts that are often undervalued and overlooked can still be fast.

As for Vista, I can see it as being a gamble. Hardware manufacturers often didn't give it the focus it needed and Microsoft giving up on it after 2 and a half years didn't help either. Still, this time it outdid my expectations.

Reply 5 of 17, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
framebuffer wrote on 2021-04-20, 21:54:

Wow nice job!
How did you measured performance in Doom III?

I used MSI Afterburner's benchmark function. I didn't use timedemo instead opted for a longer game play. It would have helped with consistency, but I just now realized because of your question I could have done that 😁

Reply 6 of 17, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a very solid Windows XP system. I alternate between a Q6600 and E8500 for my "just for gaming" XP systems and I have no interest in period correctness so I have an 850GB SSD and new, quiet power supply. I have a 7950GT, 8600GT, GT 340 and ATI 4830 that I use (all perform quite similarly) but I do want a slightly faster video card. It's currently used to play The Movies!

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 7 of 17, by framebuffer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2021-04-21, 04:53:

Wow nice job!

I used MSI Afterburner's benchmark function. I didn't use timedemo instead opted for a longer game play. It would have helped with consistency, but I just now realized because of your question I could have done that 😁

hehe ok, the timedemo is useful to compare
I asked because I was testing Doom3 with GeForce 6800 and Radeon X800 lately and your result seemed a little low for a 8800GT 😉

Windows 98 and SAMBA | Quake CPU Benchmarks | GeForce2: GTS vs MX400

Reply 8 of 17, by bZbZbZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2021-04-19, 09:55:

Yeah, this covers my high school and early college years so very nostalgic period to me. As hardware the P3 era is still the closest to my heart, but regarding games, I was most active in the 2000s.

This is awesome. I built myself nearly the exact same system back in 2007: Core 2 Q6600, GeForce 8800 GT, Asus P5E-VM HDMI (!!), Hitachi hard drive (!!!). I ran Windows Vista and I put up with the quirks because I loved Aero glass. I was in university at the time as well.

Regrettably I sold the 8800GT and upgraded to a Radeon 4870 and then a Radeon 5850. I still have the system up and running (with the 5850), albeit with Windows XP.

Reply 9 of 17, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
framebuffer wrote on 2021-04-25, 18:59:
RandomStranger wrote on 2021-04-21, 04:53:

Wow nice job!

hehe ok, the timedemo is useful to compare
I asked because I was testing Doom3 with GeForce 6800 and Radeon X800 lately and your result seemed a little low for a 8800GT 😉

So it seems. And not just that. Checking the Techpowerup review from back then it underperforms in every idTech4 engine games for some reason. I have some other games with the same engine. Enemy Territory: Quake Wars wich ran poorly (tried on XP), but the reason I dropped it out of the chart was because it was locked to 30fps (though with drops to the low teens) and I was unable to turn the frame limiter off (same as C&C: Generals). And just a week ago I got Prey, but I haven't tested yet. while Splinter Cell and F.E.A.R. seems to match their results. Initially I thought nothing of it. Doom 3 was very resource intensive back in 2004 and this was an early release (on 3CDs) without any patch, also Quake 4 did better as I expected (almost always hitting the 60fps (63fps for some reason) frame limit.

Maybe I'll check my P4-X800XT build for reference when I have the time. As everything else more or less performs as they should, this seems to be a software related issue rather than a hardware bottleneck. Maybe idTech4 doesn't like the specific driver I used which was a fairly recent one? I used the same version on both XP and Vista. I have 4 or 5 years wroth of CDs and DVDs that came with PC gaming magazines from that era, each had the most recent drivers for the time they released.

Reply 10 of 17, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2021-04-19, 08:35:

I like these part build PC's. It's all too easy to go out and get the fastest CPU, best sound card or whatever ignoring bits of hardware in a box that realistically will do the job just fine.
This era of gaming is right at the end of my interest. Love GTA SA, Don't mind NFS (prefer NFS3, 4, Porsche) so interesting to see that they actually do better in Vista.

Testing my new GTS450 and paying more attention to hardware usage, now I have the suspicion that Vista is simply better at distributing tasks between CPU cores. I've only looked at games on XP, but I've noticed, that where Vista did better, XP has consistently 19-27% CPU usage, so basically single core. Because of that in some cases the GTS450 is only marginally faster than the 8800GT. Like for example in Most Wanted and Chaos Theory only the 1% lows improved somewhat and the average frame rate stayed the same.

As for the issues with the id Tech 4 engine games, Quake 4 and Quake Wars "fixed themselves". Doom was just as bad initially. Then this graphics fix improved the frame rate, and lastly forcing Vsync off from the driver improved it further. Still locked, but no longer drops into the teens. The 1% lows are still a little low, 36fps but it's for some unnoticeable drops that doesn't even register on the frame time diagram. The real time counter is fixed to 59-61fps.

Reply 11 of 17, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So in short, that's an AUMNERYB build. Just flies off the tongue.

I think you need to disable Aero (yeah, I know, blasphemy) and few background services in Vista for performance be more or less the same, probably better in some cases. Aero eats away quite a lot of VRAM for 512 Mb video card.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2022-07-17, 23:00. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 15 of 17, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-07-17, 22:49:

I think you need to disable Aero (yeah, I know, blasphemy) and few background services in Vista for performance be more or less the same, probably better in some cases. Aero eats away quite a lot of VRAM for 512 Mb video card.

There already wasn't that big a difference between XP and Vista (aside of UT2004, but those were different versions) with the 8800GT and in some cases Vista was actually faster (Panzers, HL2, GTA:SA, NFS:MW, JTF), I assume because it's improved resource allocation. Early Vista with weak hardware back then was not a good experience. I mean when vanilla Vista was forced on a Celeron D and Pentium 4 office PCs with 512MB RAM and intel IGP or FX5200. Vista SP2 on hardware that would be considered high-end back then is a different story. My assumption is that because of it's better resource allocation Vista might benefit more from the faster graphics card. We'll see.

Reply 16 of 17, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When you get it on core class with 2GB at least it's as smooth as butter. Needs newer GPU than most office workers and websurfers cared to have at the time though. I tried it on AMD64, but it didn't feel good on the earlier iterations, not sure if it got better on Phenom, those seemed to feel like you got a 33% boost when you put 7 on them. Actually I think phenom class cores did better with it, had it on a compaq notebook with a later turion based on those, and that went well, until it de-soldered it's GPU... hey hello, when GPU do work in GUI, GPU get hot (Plus the normal unleaded solder woes and bumpgate type probs, we new forced the GPUs to work 24/7)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 17 of 17, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice build! 👍 The card reader is a nice touch, I've been wanting one myself, but didn't find one that I like enough, and eventually resolved to stay with the integrated SD reader in the display, as I very rarely need CF or anything else. I do have a Delkin USB 3.0 multi-card reader for the rare occasion.

One thing you could add to your build is a PCIe to USB3.0 card. There are those with a front panel header, although both 3.5" slots on your case are taken.

I like Vista, for a long time after I initially installed it back in 2008 I ran it in "Windows Classic" mode, until I found that I actually like Aero Glass. I even slightly prefer Vista's Aero look to Win7's updated version, but Win7 comes with quite a few goodies over Vista, like Aero Snap and jump lists.

Besides, Vista's support died ages ago, while Win7 can still keep up with a lot of modern software. So my Vista build had been upgraded to Win7. But Vista will forever have a warm spot in my heart, because a whole lot of the hate towards it was undeserved.

My original build of this generation was based on QX9650 and 9600GT. The 9600GT had been upgraded to GTX 660. I did not run XP on it, because at that point I've had plenty of XP machines at my disposal. Now I have fewer of those, and so I am contemplating dual-booting XP on that rig at some point.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys