VOGONS

First post, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So the stars have aligned recently and I found myself the proud owner of a new-in-box AT style case with motherboard. I was offered a "deal I couldn't refuse" and I'm really happy for it! If you want one, there are more on ebay. Here is a link to the one I got: https://www.ebay.com/itm/324560930166

5Z57Vl2m.jpgPgeeXL3m.jpg Kwi4AX5m.jpgAeCYBIDm.jpg

I was so happy with the case, I actually recorded a relatively short, poorly recorded, dimly lit, half-assedly edited, video. Which you can enjoy here: https://youtu.be/Gn30IqkR0w4 I absolutely HATE those AT-style cases with the massive U-shaped sides. It takes like 5-10 minutes to put them back on, and every other time I do, I typically end up with a chunk of flesh missing. So this case, with its easily removed side panels, is a relative joy to play with. The only downside, is the lack of ventilation. literally, the only fan is in the PSU. I mean, I do own a Hole saw....

As someone with unmedicated ADHD, I cannot just "build a system" and play games. Every decision on parts is debated, tested, second-guessed until the whole damn project is abandoned for something new. That's where you guys come in. I want the community (not the TV show) to tell me what parts to use. My limiting factors are the parts I have, and the case/motherboard that I just unboxed. In the coming days, I will start taking some more images of the front runners (parts). This thread is a great place to give me your opinion! I promise I will pretend to care! ^.^

But seriously, I just want to do something a little bit different. Not to brag, but i've amassed a large stockpile of parts. So if you want to make a unusual suggestion, do so. I'm hoping for oddball answers, so long as I have games to play after everything is assembled. I understand there is not a lot of wiggle room with a regular socket 7 board. Also, I promise to get a proper light for the next video.

VIDEO LINK: https://youtu.be/Gn30IqkR0w4
SURVEY LINK: https://forms.gle/S2Nrd8anihJSjrFV8

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1 of 11, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very interesting case! Surprised how 'modern' the design is considering it's AT. Also great how it came with mouse, keyboard, psu and motherboard! Great acquisition!

I like the betweener idea! Especially since it has USB support. Put in a zip drive, 5,25" FDD, CD-Writer, network card and CF storage and this can copy everything to everything!

Anything else I can come up with just turns it into another generic mid 90s DOS pc. If you don't insist on maxing it out, you could put an AMD K5 in there. Just to make it a little less common.

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 2 of 11, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It would do that well. however, I actually have a much LARGER case in the works for that with early-XP specs. Not because I really want XP, but because there is some XP era software that lets me format and create mac disks on a pc.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 11, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps a 1997 data forensics SCSI based workstation? Dual S7, WinNT, SCSI Caddy-based CDRW, multiple UW-SCSI disks, removable drive for IDE, dual output VGA, etc

Ventilation might becime an issue in that, albeit lovely, case.

Reply 4 of 11, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting case. It is AT but with removable side panels and only 6 expansion slots which is kind of strange when most at boards had 7 slots.

Floppy at the top! How radical!

Reply 5 of 11, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey, I saw those cases for sale too. But I already bought another model.
These cases are really nice and heavy. Thick steal construction.
Kind of clumsy to build in but they are built to last. And they have a thick coat of paint too.
I use some thumb screws to screw on the side panels for easy removal.

Attachments

Reply 7 of 11, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, that top Techmedia case Luckybob picked up wins in the looks dept. Very unique looking design imo. You definitely will need to be careful what parts you put inside due to the lack of airflow. No cutting as you don't want to ruin that beautiful case. The seller appears to have two sales going on, an empty Techmedia case and then the one Luckybob picked up which comes with the keyboard, Techmedia logo mouse and motherboard. Not a bad price for NOS either.

Edit: A card slot cooler or two wouldn't hurt and any unused card slots I would install vented plates.

Reply 8 of 11, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It appear to be the same case as the one I have they just changed the front cover.
What I did not like about this case was installing the upper drives. It’s very hard to get big hands to work between the PSU and drive cages.
That’s why I am glad I am done with this build it was a pain to build and scratched up my hands.

Attachments

Reply 9 of 11, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

233MMX
Max Cache Max Ram 128MB i think is max. 98se will run good with that.
3.5 floppy + CD
SCOOSIE (SCSI) ALL UP IN THIS BITCH! but you only have 4 pci slots so you can only run a single voodoo no sli. unless you do isa nic. if you do isa nic you have plenty of slots.
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 200 PCI
voodoo 2 whatever must add 1 or 2
Intel Pro 10/100 PEE SEA EYE or isa nic
AWE32 I guess if you have one
Win 98

That would be my choice if I wanted a show off rig.

Reply 10 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What late dos/early 9x era PC's do you have up and running at the moment, As is as simple as hitting the power button and your able to play a game?
lets say 486-P3 era'ish?

Depending what you've got setup will influence my "theme" so to speak

Reply 11 of 11, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Left my thoughts on your survey. Have fun 😀

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME