VOGONS

First post, by retroboy87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What were the first versions of Windows to support SSE2 and SSE3 respectively?
I ask because I found a good deal on a 775 board with AGP and a Celeron D 351 (3.2GHz) included, which supports both of those.
I'd like to use the oldest version of Windows that supports SSE3.

Reply 1 of 9, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sse3 came out in 04. So it's likely that both 2000 and XP support it but I'm not sure about 98se/ME. I tried looking it up but got a ton of conflicting information.

Reply 6 of 9, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The actual question is what software you plan on using that uses these extensions? If the software lists its requirement as Win2000 or WinXP, that is a pretty good clue what you should do 😀

If you are really meaning just 'what's the oldest OS', I mean yeah, the only benefit is whether it is aware of the extensions for software that uses it. I don't think you'd really gain any intrinsic benefit on a piece of software that runs both on Win98 vs Win2000 on the same machine, even if Win2000 is aware your CPU has SSE2/SSE3.

Reply 7 of 9, by retroboy87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I probably should have been more specific in my question. I was just curious if Windows 2000 supports SSE2/SSE3, which it most likely does. I've heard that Windows 2000 is slightly more compatible with 9x era games than XP is, and I want to play 9x era games and 2k/early XP era games on the same system, around 1995-2004 or so. I wouldn't even consider running 98SE without an ISA slot for DOS sound, and I don't need DOS compatibility for this system.

Reply 9 of 9, by soggi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is no specific support integrated into Windows for SSEx. You need software/programs using SSEx instructions and being compatible with a certain version of Windows - so it just depends on the software you're using. Maybe there are some Windows components (f.e. Media Player/codecs!?) with support for SSEx.

kind regards
soggi

Vintage BIOSes, firmware, drivers, tools, manuals and (3dfx) game patches -> soggi's BIOS & Firmware Page

soggi.org on Twitter - talent borrows, genius steals...