VOGONS

First post, by bZbZbZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello!

Do you prefer period-correct hardware? Instead of telling me how this build isn't period correct, why not check out my FIRST EVER POST where I show off my PIII/BX440/Voodoo3/CRT? 😀

Anyways... after I finished restoring my PIII (which I adore) I decided to make a second Win9x computer under a different approach. This one would abandon DOS and Glide, and basically max out what Win9x had to offer... using parts I had lying around. One of the realities of my period correct build is that the Voodoo3 really can only push 800x600 or 1024x768 in most games (at 85 Hz on the CRT, this is a good experience). But with a 1600x1200 LCD, I wanted to put together something that could really max that out... at 32 bit color and with anti-aliasing / anisotropic filtering, etc.

So the goal of this build is NOT to scour eBay for overpriced parts to build the BEST EVER 9x build. The goal was to scrounge around parts I had at home that could pump out enough performance to game on a 1600x1200 Dell U2007 LCD. As for the look... I call it "period adjacent" in that it's mostly a Windows XP system that is instead running Windows 9x. I also wanted this computer to be far quieter than was typical during the era.

Unfortunately I discovered that my Radeon 9700 was artifacting (probably decaying bumps on the BGA memory). As a replacement, I bought a Radeon 9800 Pro + Sound Blaster 2 ZS from a local seller for $40. The remainder of the parts are things I had lying around already:

CPU: Athlon 64 2800+ 1.8GHz socket 754 with Zalman CNPS7500-AlCu blue LED cooler
MB: Asus K8N (nForce 3) with single 512MB stick of DDR400
VGA: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB AGP8x with AliExpress cooler (as seen on Phil's Computer Lab)
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS PCI
Case: Antec SLK 1600 with front intake grill cut out and blue LED case fans
Storage: Seagate 40GB 5400RPM 2.5" SATA (taken from a fat YLOD Playstation 3)
Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp 2007FP 1600x1200 DVI
Gamepad: Logitech F-310 running in DirectInput mode
OS: Windows Millennium Edition (I know it gets a bad rap but it's been 100% stable in this build!!)

Stay tuned for the desk shot... which will include my overkill Windows XP build...

Attachments

Reply 2 of 7, by bZbZbZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alas, Socket 754 was single channel only. The funny thing is, I don't have any 256MB sticks of DDR1... I only have 512MB and 1GB sticks. So 1*512MB is nice in that it maxes out Windows 9x (without any need for patches).

I do have a Socket 939 motherboard but I'm using it with an Athlon 64 X2 under Windows XP.

Reply 3 of 7, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-06-21, 03:04:

Would it be advantageous to run 2x 256meg sticks and gain a dual channel ram configuration?

Imho doubtful. W98 is the OS of an era which was dominated by single channel SD RAM that topped out at 133MHz. A 266MHz DDR1 already has the bandwidth of what would be dual channel from the former and this is DDR400 which is essentially triple-channel bandwidth.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 4 of 7, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually tested this, on both socket 939 and LGA775 PCs, and can confirm that (at least in Windows 98 games and benchmarks) there is no performance difference between single and dual channel memory.

PS: nice build, bZbZbZ 😀

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 5 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I fully understand where you are coming from.
Sometimes its about the hardware and I'll play a game on something roughly from the same time period.
Other times its about the game and it look as nice as possible with no slowdowns on a much later system.

I'd agree WinME makes a lot a sense "hardware adjacent" builds. Only reason I don't is lack of nostalgia over technical reasons.

Reply 6 of 7, by bZbZbZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bloodem wrote on 2021-06-21, 05:38:

I actually tested this, on both socket 939 and LGA775 PCs, and can confirm that (at least in Windows 98 games and benchmarks) there is no performance difference between single and dual channel memory.

PS: nice build, bZbZbZ 😀

Wow, Windows 98 on a dual channel LGA775 system would REALLY be overkill! 😁

Thanks! I had 'rescued' this motherboard/CPU from a system at my parents' place at the same time as my Socket 939 (Athlon 64 X2) system a couple years ago. Of course the S939 system I restored as a Windows XP retro gaming PC. But this S754 system (which was running Windows XP also) had always been the weak counterpart. I left it on a shelf in my basement for a year before deciding to repurpose it for Windows 98. I was a bit hesitant because I wasn't sure that the nVidia nForce chipset would play nice with Windows 9x, especially using a SATA hard drive. But surprisingly... it worked fine.

I certainly won't claim that Windows ME is better than 98... I just wanted to have some variety! Different icon pack, system sounds, default color scheme, etc... I also figured I'd leave any DOS dabbling to the 440BX + CRT...

Reply 7 of 7, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Socket 754 is fantastic for old rigs, as is socket 478. They support fast CPUs with SSE2, AGP 8x, SATA. Socket 754 was used mostly in cheap builds with Semprons, not heavily used, boards will have good caps. You can use modern quiet coolers with it.

The main woe of socket 939 and 775 is they usually come with PCIe which is bad for win9x. Instead of 939 you could just go for AM2+ or AM3+ for PCIe build as they will also come with the same limitations (win9x support) but have more punch.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS