VOGONS

First post, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello Vogons, as you may not be aware I found this case locally at a habitat for humanity for 5 dollars. It was rusty and had some p4 sis inside. So I gutted it and freshened it up a bit. I had got the idea from you guys and painted the inside black, and repainted the side panels a canvas white. The bezel is in nice condition.

The only thing you cannot change is the motherboard its a MSI BX Master in working condition.

I have a lot of parts laying around, and if I don't have it, I'll consider purchasing it. So tell me how would you build this PC and at the end I'll take into consideration all of the best advice and present a finished build here. With tests. Etc.

Attachments

Reply 5 of 12, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did this p4 have a self destruct button??? Not that I disapprove 🤣

Screenshot_20210627-204002.jpg
Filename
Screenshot_20210627-204002.jpg
File size
40.19 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cant remember what other rigs you have but for me Slot 1 Win9x and late dos gaming rig.
I'd try and fill gaps in you setup though

So if your current computer are all D3D focused then make this a strong glide rig preferably with a 3Dfx card. or visa versa with say a GF4 Ti or FX
If your other 9x builds all have EAX SB Live/Audigy/Audigy 2 covered give this a Vortex 2 to cover A3D 2.0. You could go with a SB 64 PCI and play around with the ecw files if you already have EAX/A3D covered.
ISA sound something you don't have in any of your another rigs.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-06-29, 01:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 12, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joakim wrote on 2021-06-27, 16:54:

Put one of those pinnacle tuner cards in there and stream nes games for the lolz.

I second that .. That is THE coolest power button .. EVER!

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 9 of 12, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What about if I print some pacman decals out and stick them on the sides. Pacman on one side and a ghost on the other or somthing. Or ghosts on both sides. I'd consider sticking some pacman chasing ghosts on one of the blank 5" bezels of something as well as a theme. Not sure I want to deface the power button, I'll still consider it though.

I have two A3D cards. Not sure which one I like better the Diamond MX300 or a SQ2500.

Reply 10 of 12, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Warlord wrote on 2021-07-02, 14:41:

What about if I print some pacman decals out and stick them on the sides. Pacman on one side and a ghost on the other or somthing. Or ghosts on both sides. I'd consider sticking some pacman chasing ghosts on one of the blank 5" bezels of something as well as a theme. Not sure I want to deface the power button, I'll still consider it though.

I have two A3D cards. Not sure which one I like better the Diamond MX300 or a SQ2500.

That would be a really fun case decals if you did that.

Reply 12 of 12, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Spent a good part of the day figuring out the IRQ sharing scheme on the board. TLDR its not that easy to get all this hardware to play nice at all but it does now. Work in progress. Need to find one of those fans that blow on the PCI slots. I want to upgrade the CPU and ram. I'm Thinking 1ghz 133mhz FSB or Higher since the BXmaster will run it. 512 MB ram is probably good enough. Right now only 256. It was hard to get all of this hardware to play nice together but we have here basically a dream rig.

TLDR the a3d didn't want to share and IRQ with anything, it refused to work with even ghosted hardware.. The only IRQ the Intel NIC would play nice with was the promise controller.

I left IRQ 7 free since some game might only want to work on IRQ7 with the sound and I can change it.

Aureal A3D SQ2500
Guillemot Maxi sound 64 ISA
STB Voodoo 3500 Compaq Version
Matrox M3D PCX2
Intel 10/100 Pro Managment

Attachments