Rank Newbie
Rank
heckyeah wrote on 2022-03-31, 17:58:
Multiple times, yes. Win 95 and 98. […]
Show full quote
speeddemon wrote on 2022-03-29, 07:44:
Have you tried formatting and reinstalling Windows 98 from scratch? […]
Show full quote

Have you tried formatting and reinstalling Windows 98 from scratch?

Are you having this issue if you reboot into DOS and have you configured DOS? Phil has a great guide and tool for doing this: https://youtu.be/f52bZzWs-u4

What TX97-X board revision and BIOS version are you running?

I also run a Pentium MMX occasionally on this board/rig out of curiosity and for benchmarking and haven't had issues with the Voodoo3 with either CPU.

Multiple times, yes. Win 95 and 98.

Works fine without drivers, in a VIA super socket 7 motherboard with drivers and in DOS.

Problem is with TX97-X rev 2.01 and also a P/I-XP55T2P4 rev 3.something which has a HX chipset.

My best bet is that it's something to do with how this particular card bugs out with Intel chipsets. Maybe the card is just broken in some particular way or it's a revision with an incredibly rare incompatibility. I distinctly remember running this same card fine in a VIA VPX Socket 7 board 83mhz FSB 41mhz PCI. I've also used it in 50mhz FSB 486 tests since it just works with everything. Except these two particular Intel chipset motherboards that I have.

fwiw, you are running a different TX97-X revision from me. I'm running rev 3.00. I don't think that's the issue though. Have you tried with both AMD and Intel processors?

PC#1: K6-3+ 500 / Asus TX97-X / Voodoo3 / Orpheus + PCMIDI + WP32 / Win98
PC#2: P4 HT 670 / Asus P5P800 / FX5950U + V2 SLI / Audigy 2ZS + Vortex2 + X2GS / Win98
PC#3: i7-3770K / Asus P8Z77-V Pro / TITAN X / X-Fi / WinXP
PC#4: i9-9900K / Gigabyte Z390M / GTX 1070 / X-Fi Ti HD + SC-88 / Win10

Reply 41 of 46, by heckyeah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
speeddemon wrote on 2022-04-01, 00:59:
heckyeah wrote on 2022-03-31, 17:58:
Multiple times, yes. Win 95 and 98. […]
Show full quote
speeddemon wrote on 2022-03-29, 07:44:
Have you tried formatting and reinstalling Windows 98 from scratch? […]
Show full quote

Have you tried formatting and reinstalling Windows 98 from scratch?

Are you having this issue if you reboot into DOS and have you configured DOS? Phil has a great guide and tool for doing this: https://youtu.be/f52bZzWs-u4

What TX97-X board revision and BIOS version are you running?

I also run a Pentium MMX occasionally on this board/rig out of curiosity and for benchmarking and haven't had issues with the Voodoo3 with either CPU.

Multiple times, yes. Win 95 and 98.

Works fine without drivers, in a VIA super socket 7 motherboard with drivers and in DOS.

Problem is with TX97-X rev 2.01 and also a P/I-XP55T2P4 rev 3.something which has a HX chipset.

My best bet is that it's something to do with how this particular card bugs out with Intel chipsets. Maybe the card is just broken in some particular way or it's a revision with an incredibly rare incompatibility. I distinctly remember running this same card fine in a VIA VPX Socket 7 board 83mhz FSB 41mhz PCI. I've also used it in 50mhz FSB 486 tests since it just works with everything. Except these two particular Intel chipset motherboards that I have.

fwiw, you are running a different TX97-X revision from me. I'm running rev 3.00. I don't think that's the issue though. Have you tried with both AMD and Intel processors?

Sorry, I never answered. I think I did do tests with a K6+ and Pentium MMX and had the same issues regardless.

Having said that it literally might have been because of that revision.

I managed to score a TX97-XE rev 3.01 and I just tested it with the same Windows 95 install that was buggy on that TX97-X rev 2.01. It now works. 1.07.00 drivers installed, launched Keen 4 in Windows 95, exited out of game, no more black screen and hard freeze. Just a clean exit to desktop and a functioning system.

What a freaky incompatibility issue.

e. I just confirmed that it now works with a K6-III+ @500mhz. Very relieved that this is finally over and I can continue this socket 7 build. Only took three motherboards to find a one that does what I want it to do.

Reply 42 of 46, by dj_pirtu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lost my nerves with Asus P5A, the damn thing just isn't stable...

So, got myself Asus TX97-XE rev.3.01! Runs K6-III+/500MHz nicely (83x6) and hopefully more stable than P5A... AGP-slot would be nice because I'm in shortage of Voodoo-cards for PCI but I have Geforce2MX PCI and go with that until I get Voodoo2.

Reply 43 of 46, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dj_pirtu wrote on 2022-05-08, 13:11:

So, got myself Asus TX97-XE rev.3.01! Runs K6-III+/500MHz nicely (83x6) and hopefully more stable than P5A... AGP-slot would be nice because I'm in shortage of Voodoo-cards for PCI but I have Geforce2MX PCI and go with that until I get Voodoo2.

Strange that you had problems with the Asus P5A. I have three of these boards and they're very reliable, stable boards (there are some AGP issues, as with any SS7 system, but they can easily be fixed).
What were the issues you were experiencing?

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 44 of 46, by dj_pirtu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bloodem wrote on 2022-05-08, 15:37:
dj_pirtu wrote on 2022-05-08, 13:11:

Strange that you had problems with the Asus P5A. I have three of these boards and they're very reliable, stable boards (there are some AGP issues, as with any SS7 system, but they can easily be fixed).
What were the issues you were experiencing?

Long story short:
Asus P5A v1.06, modded with that pull up resistor to enable WB-cache mode. At first it worked "quite" nice with K6-2+/570MHz, some strange random rebooting when idling in Windows desktop.
Then I put in K6-III+/570 and started to overclock it by higher multiplier so 633MHz. Kept FSB 115MHz all the time because I knew it was stable with that (some time ago when I was using K6-2+/570)
Random rebooting gets worse, I can run Quake3 benchmarks, 3DMarks with no problem but when idling in desktop it reboots.
Then I started fiddling with different clock speeds and when CPU is down to 300MHz it works, no random rebooting. No matter what FSB, can be 100 or 115MHz.
But if clock speed is low enough, it's stable. Started to think that this mobo just isnt stable with + models of K6-2/3.
Put in K6-2/400 but same thing, wasnt stable. I cant install Windows any more because it just reboots.

If I raise Vcore, it gets even worse, acts strange even in DOS. Changing Vio wont do anything.
Tried different memory, CPUs, hard drive, display cards, no cards, different PSU's (it seems to work little better on another PSU than another), drivers, different Windows versions, all the BIOS-settings...

Google says that somebody else had this same problem but no one knows what to do to fix it.

I think it's the CPU power supply which is failing. Dont have oscilloscope to check how does it look like.

Strange still that it can run 3DMark for hours and then crash when just idling in desktop.

Reply 45 of 46, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dj_pirtu wrote on 2022-05-09, 11:13:
Long story short: Asus P5A v1.06, modded with that pull up resistor to enable WB-cache mode. At first it worked "quite" nice wit […]
Show full quote

Long story short:
Asus P5A v1.06, modded with that pull up resistor to enable WB-cache mode. At first it worked "quite" nice with K6-2+/570MHz, some strange random rebooting when idling in Windows desktop.
Then I put in K6-III+/570 and started to overclock it by higher multiplier so 633MHz. Kept FSB 115MHz all the time because I knew it was stable with that (some time ago when I was using K6-2+/570)
Random rebooting gets worse, I can run Quake3 benchmarks, 3DMarks with no problem but when idling in desktop it reboots.
Then I started fiddling with different clock speeds and when CPU is down to 300MHz it works, no random rebooting. No matter what FSB, can be 100 or 115MHz.
But if clock speed is low enough, it's stable. Started to think that this mobo just isnt stable with + models of K6-2/3.
Put in K6-2/400 but same thing, wasnt stable. I cant install Windows any more because it just reboots.

If I raise Vcore, it gets even worse, acts strange even in DOS. Changing Vio wont do anything.
Tried different memory, CPUs, hard drive, display cards, no cards, different PSU's (it seems to work little better on another PSU than another), drivers, different Windows versions, all the BIOS-settings...

Google says that somebody else had this same problem but no one knows what to do to fix it.

I think it's the CPU power supply which is failing. Dont have oscilloscope to check how does it look like.

Strange still that it can run 3DMark for hours and then crash when just idling in desktop.

Interesting! I don't have any rev 1.06 boards (all my boards are 1.04, and these don't require any mod to work with K6-2/3+ CPUs), however I do know that many people performed the mod and did not experience any issues.
It does seem like you might be facing a power delivery problem, in which case the first thing I'd check would be the capacitors with an ESR meter.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k