VOGONS

First post, by frankmonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all!

I just want to show you real quick what I`m currently working on.

System specs (so far):

Cooler Master ATCS case with silver front and brownish/silverish side and top covers
Enermax 300w power supply
Asus K7V-T rev 1.01 Motherboard
AMD Athlon Slot A 1000mhz (A1000MMR24B) Thunderbird with stock cooler
768mb PC133 Cl2 (3x 256mb sticks)
Voodoo 5500 AGP videocard
Diamond Monster MX300 Aureal Vortex 2 soundcard
Promise Fastrak S-150 TX4 Sata PCI Card
Intel 1000gt network card
Samsung 120GB SSD
4x noctua nf-a8-uln case fans
4x20 HD47780 LCD with DB25 Adapter PCB which is connected into the external parallel port
WIndows 98se

First of all, I bought this Cooler Master ATCS with this spot already milled in to fit a 4x20 LCD. It`s not my work! But whoever did this in the past, did a great and clean job! So thanks to this case modder from the early 2000s. He left an old 4x20 matrix display without backlight in there but I really liked the idea of having a LCD to display all kind of system information or game stats, especially in a Cooler Master ATC (S)case. I am a huge fan of these cases and own several of them in different colors.

Luckily I found a replacement display with blue backlight and DB24 adapter since I couldnt get the USB one working under Windows 98. There doesn`t seem to be a working Windows 98 USB driver for the HD47780 style displays. Maybe someone knows more or had more luck to get an USB LCD working under Windows 98?!

Anyway, currently I am working to get some temperature displayed on it. The CPU seems to be sorted since the ASUS K7V-T has a temperature sensor header on board, I just have to get a sensor cable and read the values from the motherboard.
But I really would like to hook up sensors to both VSA100s on my voodoo. Still trying to find the best way to accomplish this and have the sensors show the temp in the LCD-Smartie app. What do you guys think would be the best route? Somehow I do not want to add a fan controller or even drives in the bays. I really like the clean looking front. I might add a gotek OLED (black) in one of the 3.5" bays.

Now I am going to take it apart again to polish it and do some proper cable management, what I hate most 😀

1628962819750.jpg
Filename
1628962819750.jpg
File size
663.18 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
1628962765525.jpg
Filename
1628962765525.jpg
File size
794.57 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
1628962736577.jpg
Filename
1628962736577.jpg
File size
1.42 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Last edited by frankmonk on 2023-05-13, 13:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 12, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

more than nice build, It's a dream. I had a case like that before and ya adding drives kinda ruins the ascetics. In other cases or maybe they were kits I've seen aluminum bezels for the CD drive before.

These days I'm mainly sticking to Beige ABS stuff or older plastic cases. I have a few builds I'm working on myself but they look like bragging contests and It's really not what it is.

Reply 3 of 12, by frankmonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2021-08-15, 06:25:

more than nice build, It's a dream. I had a case like that before and ya adding drives kinda ruins the ascetics. In other cases or maybe they were kits I've seen aluminum bezels for the CD drive before.

These days I'm mainly sticking to Beige ABS stuff or older plastic cases. I have a few builds I'm working on myself but they look like bragging contests and It's really not what it is.

So true, it does completely destroy the aesthetics of it.
Both Cooler Master and later Lian-Li sold these bay 5.25" bay cover for their line of alu cases. I might try to snatch one up. the musketeer 3 seems to fit in there as well but they are hard to come by these days.

baycover.JPG
Filename
baycover.JPG
File size
7.83 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Hezus wrote on 2021-08-15, 07:54:

Lovely system!

thanks! This might be my first build that I ever really finish and stop replacing or addings parts to it for years.

Reply 4 of 12, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
frankmonk wrote on 2021-08-15, 08:10:

Both Cooler Master and later Lian-Li sold these bay 5.25" bay cover for their line of alu cases. I might try to snatch one up. the musketeer 3 seems to fit in there as well but they are hard to come by these days.

Let's hope you can find one. Alternatively you could always spray paint the bezel of any other optical drive. I did that for my gold coloured Pentium II build and it worked out pretty well.

My utterly redicilous dream Pentium II (build log with pics!)

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 5 of 12, by frankmonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hezus wrote on 2021-08-15, 09:11:
Let's hope you can find one. Alternatively you could always spray paint the bezel of any other optical drive. I did that for my […]
Show full quote

Let's hope you can find one. Alternatively you could always spray paint the bezel of any other optical drive. I did that for my gold coloured Pentium II build and it worked out pretty well.

Wow..such a stunning build and work. I like it when ppl do such great jobs without modifying too much or going "too far". Just adding some beautiful tones to it like this nice fan controller.

Reply 6 of 12, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
frankmonk wrote on 2021-08-15, 09:34:
Hezus wrote on 2021-08-15, 09:11:
Let's hope you can find one. Alternatively you could always spray paint the bezel of any other optical drive. I did that for my […]
Show full quote

Wow..such a stunning build and work. I like it when ppl do such great jobs without modifying too much or going "too far". Just adding some beautiful tones to it like this nice fan controller.

Thanks! 😀

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 7 of 12, by frankmonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought I gonna post a small update on this build.
Finally I found an Alpha p7125 heatsink last year. I thought I'll never find one. I've added a couple of Pabst Fans to it. now i have to place the thermal sensor properly to the CPU and have the readings displayed on LCD Frontpanel.

Screenshot_2023-05-13-14-40-33-032-edit_com.miui.gallery.jpg
Filename
File size
148.21 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Screenshot_2023-05-13-14-40-16-283-edit_com.miui.gallery.jpg
Filename
File size
186.32 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Also found a couple of these original cooler master CD-ROM bezels. I couldn't stand the regular one at all. Looks much better now.

Screenshot_2023-05-13-14-39-57-900-edit_com.miui.gallery.jpg
Filename
Screenshot_2023-05-13-14-39-57-900-edit_com.miui.gallery.jpg
File size
99.1 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

There is still a lot of cabling work left but for now I'm happy with this build.

PS: the Noctua fans have to go next. They're just ugly as hell. Not sure why I installed them in the first place.

Reply 8 of 12, by ATi_Loyalist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cool! Love the CM/Lian Li aluminum era. Looking forward to updates

P4/XP Rig: P4C800 | P4 3.4 | Radeon X850 Pro
A64/XP Rig : A8V | A64 X2 4400+ | X1950 Pro
Ancient Rig: Pentium 166 W | S3 Trio

Reply 9 of 12, by NostalgicAslinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice build! I have the same Mainboard with the 1Ghz T-Bird and a Voodoo 4 4500 AGP. You could try to undervolt the CPU for better temps and a longer life for this very rare Slot A variant. My Slot A T-Bird also runs fine (Prime stable) since over 3 years with 1,60V VCore setting in the bios. 1,75V is the Stock voltage.

Reply 10 of 12, by PC-Engineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A slot Athlon is a great fit for a Voodoo 5. I have a similar system with a 950 Orion, but with a simpler cooler. With undervolting to 1.7V it stays very cool even in the well ventilated case and can live for a long time.
The old boards definitely need fresh capacitors and the Athlon often has problems with its old thermal paste as well, especially the one between the heatsink and the caches. However, opening the case involves a lot of risk. You should definitely practice with a cheaper CPU beforehand.
Furthermore, setting up the system for an optimal interaction of the Voodoo 5 with the KX133 was a real odyssey with some stumbling blocks. A stable and fast system is a challenge, but definitely possible

Epox 7KXA Slot A / Athlon 950MHz / Voodoo 5 5500 / PowerVR / 512 MB / AWE32 / SCSI - Windows 98SE

Reply 11 of 12, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
frankmonk wrote on 2023-05-13, 12:54:
I thought I gonna post a small update on this build. Finally I found an Alpha p7125 heatsink last year. I thought I'll never fin […]
Show full quote

I thought I gonna post a small update on this build.
Finally I found an Alpha p7125 heatsink last year. I thought I'll never find one. I've added a couple of Pabst Fans to it. now i have to place the thermal sensor properly to the CPU and have the readings displayed on LCD Frontpanel.

Wow, I've been looking for a high performance Slot A cooler for years and only ever found regular aluminium chunks. That's awesome especially with the Pabst fans.😃👌

Reply 12 of 12, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember back in the day we used to “stealth” our optical drives behind the standard drive bay plates. Remove the side tabs, stick the plate to the drive-tray, and a well placed screw or nut to allow a slightly pressed plate to press the drive button.