VOGONS

First post, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wanted to share my newest build. It's based on some advice from here.
Rather than make a TLDR with a list of parts no one reads or cares about.
So I'll just up the pics and then if anyone is curious about anything I did here I can share more details.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 16, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More pics.

Attachments

Reply 2 of 16, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pics

Attachments

Reply 3 of 16, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pics

Attachments

Reply 5 of 16, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice caps....😉

I'm sure there are folk with that luuuuv going though long component lists and drool.....

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 7 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd be happier giving the Voodoo room to breathe.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 16, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

TLDR it breaths probably better than a lot of other rigs.

Ya I was concerned about that too. So I re pasted the voodoo 3 with some Noctua NT-H1.
Plugged in the Top Tech III Temperature Sensor that comes on this board and inserted into the voodoo heatsink. That way I could read the temp of the Voodoo.

I built a fan bracket out of some old drive bay adapters and screwed it to the back of the case to blow air on the voodoo and m3d. Plus theres a front 80mm fan that is also pulling air from outside and blowing into that direction.

I'm sure it's not that accurate btw. But I havn't seen the voodoos temps over 40c.

I would of moved the A3d over to slot 2 except for whatever reason the AGP card shares the IRQ of the 2nd slot. While nothing shares an IRQ with the 1st slot so I'm able to make the build work this way.

Anyways it works like this.

Attachments

Last edited by Warlord on 2021-08-19, 07:36. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 9 of 16, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A feature of the board is that it supports 768 MB Registered ECC, which is uncommon in BX boards. I suspect it will run 1gb but 512 is more than enough.. For now I only had 1 stick of 128 mb of Reg ECC, but I plan on upgrading that later. It's on the too doo list.

Reply 10 of 16, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tracking down the right driver for the onboard promise controller proved to be a chore. The main reason I wanted to use it is it does around 99% CPU off load. Unlike the onboard IDE on BX boards that can almost freeze your computer it doesn't happen here. I was experimenting with using my cdrom on the promise controller but I couldn't load a driver for the CD in dos it wouldn't detect it. It did work fine in windows though. The hdd works fine in DOS. So I opted to hook the cd up to the primary onboard and disable the secondary onboard to free up IRQ 15 so I can run the voodoo 3 on 15 without IRQ sharing.

Reply 15 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Derp, I totally missed that, I thought it was what a Pac-Bell would be like if they were actually good 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 16 of 16, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-23, 03:19:

Derp, I totally missed that, I thought it was what a Pac-Bell would be like if they were actually good 🤣

welp I ended up removing the A3d card from the system anyways. Originally I wanted to do a3d in this rig but, most of the games I'm going to play on this don't need A3d. They just need sbpro and midi and decent OPL3 hence the ESS.

Instead I moved that card to the pentium M voodoo 2 SLI rig. That one I took the Audigy out of and sloted the A3d instead. I might try and slot a cmedia card in that one also to do sb16. Or find some other alternitive that I can run along side it the supports EAX a bit better. I'm trying to get rid off all the creative crap.