VOGONS

Building my own Woodgrain 486

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 40, by EddieHimself

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hezus wrote on 2021-08-24, 15:41:

Nice system and I enjoyed your write up!

But... does Doom run with 30fps now?

I did all the Philscomputerlab DOS benchmarks and Doom now runs at...

33.7 FPS in high-detail mode! Quake is (as you would imagine) a slideshow, running at 9.9 FPS, and Norton System Information gave a CPU score of 197.1, which isn't all that far off the Pentium 66 score. This definitely seems to be a well-performing motherboard; glad I managed to get a good one.

Reply 22 of 40, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2021-08-23, 11:51:
486 is a funny era. Too fast for old games but not fast enough for late dos. IMHO their true value is the build itself, and the […]
Show full quote

486 is a funny era. Too fast for old games but not fast enough for late dos.
IMHO their true value is the build itself, and the tinkering as it's never straight forward.
It's why I have 3!

Like the build but if it was me I'd be on the lookout for a VLB I/O card for the extra cool points as much as anything.
but as its up and running I'd take my time and wait for a good price or that "perfect" card

It's more 1990's nostalgia. A Magical time in USA when computers where the thing to own. The home office with printer was a "status qou" that you are keeping up with technology.
But for DOS game play performance a Pentium class CPU or AMD K5 or K6 ( 75mhz thru 233mhz ) works best.
You are right in the value is in the building of the computer. Research and gathering up components.
That's what I would recommend for first time builders is to do your research. Components are expensive today.
You want to do it right and not waist your time and money.
These are NOT Legos where you can just plug things in and expect them to work.

Reply 23 of 40, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-09-07, 03:12:
It's more 1990's nostalgia. A Magical time in USA when computers where the thing to own. The home office with printer was a "s […]
Show full quote
486 is a funny era. Too fast for old games but not fast enough for late dos. IMHO their true value is the build itself, and the […]
Show full quote

IMHO their true value is the build itself, and the tinkering as it's never straight forward.
It's why I have 3!

Like the build but if it was me I'd be on the lookout for a VLB I/O card for the extra cool points as much as anything.
but as its up and running I'd take my time and wait for a good price or that "perfect" card

It's more 1990's nostalgia. A Magical time in USA when computers where the thing to own. The home office with printer was a "status qou" that you are keeping up with technology.
But for DOS game play performance a Pentium class CPU or AMD K5 or K6 ( 75mhz thru 233mhz ) works best.
You are right in the value is in the building of the computer. Research and gathering up components.
That's what I would recommend for first time builders is to do your research. Components are expensive today.
You want to do it right and not waist your time and money.
These are NOT Legos where you can just plug things in and expect them to work.

Then, prey tell, do you have so many problems and ask so many questions about your builds?
Sometimes mutitiple posts about similar issues on the same system even. This is even when fellow vogons have given you the links to solve your problem and you have the system/component documentation on hand.

Curious minds and all that.......😉

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 24 of 40, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes old computers aren't LEGO and thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster for that. Every piece would look the same. They are fine 3D jigsaw puzzles made of different shaped and size parts with problems to be solved to keep them running.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-09-07, 19:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25 of 40, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-09-07, 03:12:
Show full quote

It's why I have 3!

It's more 1990's nostalgia. A Magical time in USA when computers where the thing to own.
[..]

Except in Nebraska?! 😁

https://youtu.be/rnkqmTmO_uc

("A home without Windows is a prison" 🤣)

Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-09-07, 05:51:

Yes ol dcomputers aren't LEGO and thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster for that.

LateSpryGosling-size_restricted.gif

_| ̄|○ _| ̄|○ _| ̄|○

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 26 of 40, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm sure there were other countries involved in computers in the early '90s besides just the USA? Can anyone think of others besides here in New Zealand?

For our rather remote location and small population we had quite a large selection to choose from. Apple, IBM compatibles, Amiga, Acorn etc....

Reply 27 of 40, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-09-07, 07:57:

I'm sure there were other countries involved in computers in the early '90s besides just the USA? Can anyone think of others besides here in New Zealand?

For our rather remote location and small population we had quite a large selection to choose from. Apple, IBM compatibles, Amiga, Acorn etc....

Nope, USA and NZ had the worlds computing needs sorted, until both cought the Y2K bug which decimated the industry and other countries got in on the action.
..or thats how I remember it 😉

Reply 28 of 40, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-08-22, 16:38:

That Yamaha OPL3 sounds terrible.
You really need the “Dreamblaster X2 GS” for better sound.

No it doesn't, you really need common sense for apt comparison.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 30 of 40, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2021-09-07, 16:02:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-08-22, 16:38:

That Yamaha OPL3 sounds terrible.
You really need the “Dreamblaster X2 GS” for better sound.

No it doesn't, you really need common sense for apt comparison.

I am going to put one on my 486 along with the Yucatán.
https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS

Reply 32 of 40, by EddieHimself

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheMobRules wrote on 2021-09-08, 19:05:

Very nice build! Your motherboard seems to be made by MSI, would it be possible for you to dump the BIOS? You can use GETROM or NSSI if you don't have a programmer.

Yeah, it is. I'll do that when I next get it up and running.

Reply 33 of 40, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
EddieHimself wrote on 2021-08-22, 19:24:

The cache SRAM is 15 ns and the main system memory is 32 MB of 60-ns FPM DRAM. Also, the L1 cache appears to be running in WT mode according to System Check. I'm not sure whether the Overdrive CPUs had WB cache or not. I was certainly very happy with the performance. I think somewhere in the 200 to 220 range was what I was getting with the turbo mode disabled.

Yeah, you have more RAM than I do and you are using 15ns cache.
I don’t think the cache is going to make much of a difference I am using 256kb of 20ns cache.
I am getting about the same score as LGR’s woodgrain 486 which is about 220 in topbench.
Also I am using a conventional hard drive. Not a CF drive.
The only thing I can think about is maybe these benchmark programs benefit from using more system RAM.

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2021-09-30, 14:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 34 of 40, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Whats the deal with woodgrain ? it looks even worse then beige cases 😁

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 35 of 40, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matze79 wrote on 2021-09-29, 22:12:

LGR made it a thing.. *sigh*

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 36 of 40, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's just for the kitsch of it, the plug ugly bitch of it, the hit the random switch of it, the tasteless 70s niche of it, the eye-snagging glitch of it and just to make you twitch a bit. 🤣

I shall now be known as 81t-WRhyMM3ZZzz 😉

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 37 of 40, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2021-09-29, 22:22:
matze79 wrote on 2021-09-29, 22:12:

LGR made it a thing.. *sigh*

Thats because in USA back in 1900’s thru about 2000 wood furniture was very popular. And many retro Picture tube TV’s and Stereo systems were either made with a wood cabinet or had plastic shell finished in wood grain design.
It’s just an retro era thing.
I think its easy on the eyes and blends in with wood furniture.
Its more of a neutral natural color and design that mimics nature.
Thats what you want is to get out in nature and see the Natural sights and sounds that Nature provides.
And get away from these computer engineered sounds which are not natural but form another world.

If I ever put wood grain on my computer it will be real wood veneer.
Maybe cherry red wood or a light pine or red oak.
Or maybe some exotic wood veneer.

We should start a thread about who can design the nicest looking wood grain veneer computer case.

That’s also why you want a really good sound card in your computer so it can properly and realistically reproduce musical instruments and
Voices and sounds. Thats why I like the Roland GS. ( General sounds ) it provides more realistic sounds of musical instruments..

Attachments

Reply 38 of 40, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And not forgetting the...

replica-of-wagon-queen-family-truckster.png

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 39 of 40, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-30, 19:20:
And not forgetting the... […]
Show full quote

And not forgetting the...

replica-of-wagon-queen-family-truckster.png

Yup, the All-American family that wants to vacation at the Amusement park.