VOGONS

First post, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This was the first time I've found an AT case from the 90's that deviates from the "office" standard and looks more "gamer". It is a baby AT case with PS/2 keyboard hole/cutout next to the standard dim keyboard hole. It was produced by a Brazilian factory called Troni, but this in turn didn't create the models, basically they brought things from China and put their name.

Its skeleton isn't strong and heavy, it's just tin, and it's fixed by rivets, and it has some gaps that result in creaking during transport.

One more interesting thing, it has a "slot" to install an 80x80 front fan. It also has a full 3-digit display.

It is with a Biostar 8500tvx motherboard, which is not of great quality, but has interesting features, such as onboard PS/2 connector, ps/2 mouse header, usb, and even a fan for the processor. It supposedly has a cache, but I have my suspicions, as there was a time when these cards of dubious quality came with a fake cache.

In this build, a Pentium MMX 233Mhz will be used, without overclocking, with an evercool cooler kit, and edo 60ns memories.

Unfortunately it's hard (and expensive) to find an AT motherboard with an AGP slot, but if I did, it would be perfect for me to use my Voodoo banshee. For now, I'll settle for the current ATI Rage II+DVD SGRAM (4mb?) which even has TV output.

I've managed to find a floppy disk drive that hasn't yellowed over time, and a retro looking DVD drive that will serve me just fine.

And as it couldn't be missing from a Pentium 1, I'll use an ISA Sound Blaster AWE32 sound card with 2mb of simm memory.

Attachments

Take a look at my blog: http://rikintosh.blogspot.com
My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfRUbxkBmEihBEkIK32Hilg

Reply 1 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice, it's got a kind of...

Transformers_layered_text_logo.png

look to it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-11-16, 01:45:
Nice, it's got a kind of... […]
Show full quote

Nice, it's got a kind of...

Transformers_layered_text_logo.png

look to it.

Could also be a Cylon thing btw 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rikintosh wrote on 2021-11-16, 01:37:
This was the first time I've found an AT case from the 90's that deviates from the "office" standard and looks more "gamer". It […]
Show full quote

This was the first time I've found an AT case from the 90's that deviates from the "office" standard and looks more "gamer". It is a baby AT case with PS/2 keyboard hole/cutout next to the standard dim keyboard hole. It was produced by a Brazilian factory called Troni, but this in turn didn't create the models, basically they brought things from China and put their name.

Its skeleton isn't strong and heavy, it's just tin, and it's fixed by rivets, and it has some gaps that result in creaking during transport.

One more interesting thing, it has a "slot" to install an 80x80 front fan. It also has a full 3-digit display.

It is with a Biostar 8500tvx motherboard, which is not of great quality, but has interesting features, such as onboard PS/2 connector, ps/2 mouse header, usb, and even a fan for the processor. It supposedly has a cache, but I have my suspicions, as there was a time when these cards of dubious quality came with a fake cache.

In this build, a Pentium MMX 233Mhz will be used, without overclocking, with an evercool cooler kit, and edo 60ns memories.

Unfortunately it's hard (and expensive) to find an AT motherboard with an AGP slot, but if I did, it would be perfect for me to use my Voodoo banshee. For now, I'll settle for the current ATI Rage II+DVD SGRAM (4mb?) which even has TV output.

I've managed to find a floppy disk drive that hasn't yellowed over time, and a retro looking DVD drive that will serve me just fine.

And as it couldn't be missing from a Pentium 1, I'll use an ISA Sound Blaster AWE32 sound card with 2mb of simm memory.

AT boards with AGP slot were never really common here in The Netherlands. I suppose it's the same where you live.
Motherboards were already transitioning to ATX at the end of the Pentium 1 era (which did not have AGP) and AGP was considered more a high end thing when it was brand new, thus more expensive, thus more common in ATX since ATX was newer and teh future! 😜
AT was mostly budget at the very end of it's live existence (to upgrade older PCs).

But for Pentium 1, AGP is more a convenience (as at this point AGP cards were usually easier to find compared to their PCI equivalents) and less about actual performance.

I think your case looks nice, with the front bezel having that (for me) unique shape. It somehow looks much more modern compared to what was typically seen in late AT tower cases.

Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 16, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I actually didn't even know about the existence of AT cards with AGP, until I found one in a local junkyard, socket 7, with but unfortunately it was broken in one of the corners, making it impossible to repair. The board was gold, and I think it had chipsets via, I believe it was some kind of crap pc chips.

Reply 6 of 16, by HangarAte2nds!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rikintosh wrote on 2021-11-16, 01:37:
This was the first time I've found an AT case from the 90's that deviates from the "office" standard and looks more "gamer". It […]
Show full quote

The solution, if you want AGP with a MMX "cheap", is to use a SS7 board.

Reply 7 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rikintosh wrote on 2021-11-16, 02:37:

I actually didn't even know about the existence of AT cards with AGP, until I found one in a local junkyard, socket 7, with but unfortunately it was broken in one of the corners, making it impossible to repair. The board was gold, and I think it had chipsets via, I believe it was some kind of crap pc chips.

Back when I was dumpsterdiving, I found maybe hundreds of (standard) AT boards and at most only a handful of those had an AGP slot.
It's really not at all common. I mean there were boards made but I barely ever saw them here in The Netherlands.
The very first one I found was probably also some crappy PCChips board as the info I did find of it online mentioned how unstable it was regardless of what you tried to run it with xD so that didn't sound very promising 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 16, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HangarAte2nds! wrote on 2021-11-16, 06:24:

The solution, if you want AGP with a MMX "cheap", is to use a SS7 board.

The VIA Apollo VP3 supports AGP but does not 'officially' fall in the Super Socket 7 because the max fsb is 83MHz.
There is a list of brands here:
https://alchetron.com/Apollo-VP3#Apollo-VP3-b … ed-motherboards
(scroll down)

Reply 9 of 16, by ronyket

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I saw that Troni logo on the case, i thought... Wait a minute, this must be a Brazilian folk in there...

That case looks really really nice, didn't yellow over time, please keep good care of it, it deserves, as it is gorgeous looking!

But about that video card, it was common to find in places like Santa Ifigênia (I see you're also from SP) those no-branded VGAs with TV out, usually with ATi chips on it, or even more common, Riva TNT2 M64.
I had back in the day one of those no-branded ATi Rage Pro 8 MB on my Pentium 166.

Reply 11 of 16, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ronyket wrote on 2021-11-17, 13:57:
When I saw that Troni logo on the case, i thought... Wait a minute, this must be a Brazilian folk in there... […]
Show full quote

When I saw that Troni logo on the case, i thought... Wait a minute, this must be a Brazilian folk in there...

That case looks really really nice, didn't yellow over time, please keep good care of it, it deserves, as it is gorgeous looking!

But about that video card, it was common to find in places like Santa Ifigênia (I see you're also from SP) those no-branded VGAs with TV out, usually with ATi chips on it, or even more common, Riva TNT2 M64.
I had back in the day one of those no-branded ATi Rage Pro 8 MB on my Pentium 166.

Yeah, actually it was quite yellowish (practically orange), I retrobrighted it.

I recently acquired a card with TV output from Proview (actually with tv tunner), with Cirrus Logic chipset, which I had never seen before.

Reply 12 of 16, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote on 2021-11-17, 14:50:

There are Slot-1 AT boards. So you can use Pentium II (maybe P3 with some adapters).

Yes I know, there are even cheap/easy options like the pc chips m748lmrt that offer slot 1 and socket 370 in AT form on the same card. Her proposal is excellent, the onboard video is cool, but she has TERRIBLE components, plus my case has an intel metal stamp, Pentium MMX, and I would like to use a pentium 1 because of that.

Reply 13 of 16, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rikintosh wrote on 2021-11-18, 02:41:
kixs wrote on 2021-11-17, 14:50:

There are Slot-1 AT boards. So you can use Pentium II (maybe P3 with some adapters).

Yes I know, there are even cheap/easy options like the pc chips m748lmrt that offer slot 1 and socket 370 in AT form on the same card. Her proposal is excellent, the onboard video is cool, but she has TERRIBLE components, plus my case has an intel metal stamp, Pentium MMX, and I would like to use a pentium 1 because of that.

I guess I missed your point. Your only options are SS7 AT boards. There are many but usually don't sell cheap unless you find a good deal. I have good experiences with Gigabyte GA-5AA and Asus P5A-B.

The other route is to keep this board and get a PCI Banshee or do the more standard way a 2D VGA PCI card and a Voodoo2.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 14 of 16, by ronyket

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As you're looking for an Baby-AT mainboard, I found two mainboards with this form factor on that Brazilian marketplace that you know.
One is a Pentium II platform, and another one is a Super Socket 7, with AMD K6-2
But those are expensive, very very expensive.

If you want to look for those, the keywords are 'Soyo Socket 7+' and 'ATC-6130'.

I am also looking for a mainboard for my Pentium III machine, but this is an ATX form factor.
(That's why i stumbled across those mainboards as well)
I have a Voodoo 4 4500 AGP fitted in it, but it has problems, and i am almost sure that the problem is the mainboard (an ASUS P3B-F)

Reply 16 of 16, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ronyket wrote on 2021-11-18, 13:52:
As you're looking for an Baby-AT mainboard, I found two mainboards with this form factor on that Brazilian marketplace that you […]
Show full quote

As you're looking for an Baby-AT mainboard, I found two mainboards with this form factor on that Brazilian marketplace that you know.
One is a Pentium II platform, and another one is a Super Socket 7, with AMD K6-2
But those are expensive, very very expensive.

If you want to look for those, the keywords are 'Soyo Socket 7+' and 'ATC-6130'.

I am also looking for a mainboard for my Pentium III machine, but this is an ATX form factor.
(That's why i stumbled across those mainboards as well)
I have a Voodoo 4 4500 AGP fitted in it, but it has problems, and i am almost sure that the problem is the mainboard (an ASUS P3B-F)

Yes, I had found it but they have a distorted value, unfortunately the market is full of people without knowledge who think their stuff is worth the same value as something restored, revised and collector.

Generally I have more luck scouring local bazaars and junkyards.