VOGONS

TinyLlama (Vortex86EX SBC)

Topic actions

Reply 480 of 659, by sndlbn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ExplodingLemur wrote on 2023-03-18, 19:50:

If you're in the US and interested in one of the semi-complete boards, see my post here. I've got 6 left.

I can grab one as a spare. As a newbie member, I’m not able to msg you. 🙁

Reply 481 of 659, by ExplodingLemur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sndlbn wrote on 2023-03-19, 22:27:

I can grab one as a spare. As a newbie member, I’m not able to msg you. 🙁

If you read my original post (linked from the post you quoted) you'll see there's a Google form to fill out. Once that comes in I'll send you an email with info.

Reply 482 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For every TinyLlama 2.1 owner who already has a small wavetable board or can't get hold of a pi zero 2, I'm happy to say that the Pi+wavetable adapter board is currently in production! 🎉
It'll be 100% assembled and ready to go.
As promised, I'll sell these at cost, which turned out to be almost exactly $10 per board.
If you're looking to get a wavetable board, check out Serdashop.

I'll post updates here when I get the boards delivered in about a week.

The LlamaBlaster sound card
ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 483 of 659, by NinjaWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2023-03-20, 09:02:
For every TinyLlama 2.1 owner who already has a small wavetable board or can't get hold of a pi zero 2, I'm happy to say that th […]
Show full quote

For every TinyLlama 2.1 owner who already has a small wavetable board or can't get hold of a pi zero 2, I'm happy to say that the Pi+wavetable adapter board is currently in production! 🎉
It'll be 100% assembled and ready to go.
As promised, I'll sell these at cost, which turned out to be almost exactly $10 per board.
If you're looking to get a wavetable board, check out Serdashop.

I'll post updates here when I get the boards delivered in about a week.

Great! I will grab one of those OFC!

Reply 484 of 659, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I did a test installation of XP on my tinyllama2 today.

A couple of things I noticed.

I confirmed that the SD card interface is the same RDC interface that the WeeCee uses (and that windows 98 seems to hate for some reason)
Which means we're limited to 32 GB SD cards.

On the plus side, since the tinyllama2 has a serial port I can have a go at remote debugging windows 98 now on my other 98 PC, maybe I can get some insight as to why ESDI_506.PDR dies.

I also noticed that XP's WDM audio driver doesn't like this chip for some reason.
I booted back into DOS to confirm it's working so I'm not sure whats going on here.

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 485 of 659, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you mean that under WinXP the SD disk works with higher speed as expected and without temporal system freezing?

How do you debug win98 via serial? I though that serial debugging is available only on NT systems but didn't play much with it.

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 486 of 659, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RayeR wrote on 2023-03-23, 15:32:

Do you mean that under WinXP the SD disk works with higher speed as expected and without temporal system freezing?

How do you debug win98 via serial? I though that serial debugging is available only on NT systems but didn't play much with it.

Yeah, SD is a bit faster and no freezing on XP.

There are debugging tools in the 98DDK - WDEB98 and RTERM98
I'm not at all familiar with these tools to be honest, I hope there's a guide available somewhere online on how they work.

Reply 487 of 659, by sndlbn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RayeR wrote on 2023-03-23, 15:32:

I can talk about my experience. I tried to Install Windows 98 SE on my TinyLlama, and the system froze after installing storage drives. You need to disable the device to make Windows 98 work. So there is no acceleration or DMA. I don't know if DMA is even possible on this interface. In the end, system performance and copying from and to disk is poor, and in many cases, when you need to issue multiple writes, the system hangs.

Reply 488 of 659, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it's obvious that if storage runs in PIO mode it causes high CPU load and poor bandwidth. Also on normal PC, even with fast SSD the PIO is ten times or more slower than DMA. Also SD card may have some random delay during data write and if there is some ready flag polling in the driver it may hang system for several seconds until flag is set and loop exits. But it shouldn't affect read performance, it should be much faster than writes. For better write performance some industrial grade SD card may help...

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 489 of 659, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If there is ever a future revision of the tinyllama2 I'd recommend using one of those 'SD to CF' translation chips that you see on SD to IDE adapters on ebay for some improvements in disk I/O performance.

That or an MSATA port.

Reply 490 of 659, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, if SATA is still available son SoM pins, it would be good to have a mSATA connecor. But does it support IDE compatability mode? Is BIOS ready to boot from SATA?

Reply 491 of 659, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would be very surprised if the BIOS can't boot from SATA, it's a SeaBIOS so it should.
Whether it's in IDE or AHCI mode is done at the controller chip, we know it's in IDE mode already so we're safe.

edit:

I figured out the sound issue on XP, XP gave the wrong resources to the chip, a manual edit to reassign resolved the issue.

Reply 493 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got the wavetable adapters in, they work as intended! Tried with both an S2 and an X2GS board, no problems.
Using this adapter makes the whole setup a bit more chunky, as seen on the photos below.

In order to install this adapter, the following steps are needed:
1. Only works for the TinyLlama rev.2.1. The rev.1.1 board has its DAC placed slightly differently so it won't fit properly.
2. Desolder the purple GY-PCM5102 board from the TinyLlama.
3. If the pins on the 3-pin header on the TinyLlama that was connected to the DAC were cut, you need to desolder that as well and replace it with a fresh 3-pin header.
4. Solder the DAC back on the adapter board.
5. Insert a Raspberry Pi Zero 2, a wavetable board, or both, on the adapter.
6. Place the adapter carefully on the TinyLlama, making sure that both the 40-pin header and the 3-pin header line up properly.
7. Use the switch to toggle between the Pi and the wavetable board. Whatever device is _not_ selected is powered down.

Send me a mail at ordertinyllama@gmail.com if you want one, they're $10 a pop + shipping of your choosing.

IMG_0446.jpeg
Filename
IMG_0446.jpeg
File size
850.41 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_0447.jpeg
Filename
IMG_0447.jpeg
File size
617.97 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0448.jpeg
Filename
IMG_0448.jpeg
File size
626.02 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0444.jpeg
Filename
IMG_0444.jpeg
File size
1.21 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_0449.jpeg
Filename
IMG_0449.jpeg
File size
927.66 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by Eivind on 2023-04-06, 15:34. Edited 1 time in total.

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 494 of 659, by NinjaWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2023-04-06, 15:28:

Got the wavetable adapters in, they work as indented! Tried with both an S2 and an X2GS board, no problems.
Using this adapter makes the whole setup a bit more chunky, as seen on the photos below.

IMG_0449.jpeg

Superb! I would like one please, sending an email. My setup would be exactly the last photo, adapter plus X2GS with no pi zero. Thank you!

Reply 495 of 659, by sndlbn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2023-04-06, 15:28:

2. Desolder the purple GY-PCM5102 board from the TinyLlama.
3. If the pins on the 3-pin header on the TinyLlama that was connected to the DAC were cut, you need to desolder that as well and replace it with a fresh 3-pin header.
4. Solder the DAC back on the adapter board.

Could you just solder second GY-PCM5102 to the adapter board and leave the other GY-PCM5102 in place?

Reply 496 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sndlbn wrote on 2023-04-06, 17:17:

Could you just solder second GY-PCM5102 to the adapter board and leave the other GY-PCM5102 in place?

In theory, yes. But the "old" GY-PCM5102 will block the connector carrying the analog audio from the adapter board to the TinyLlama.

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 497 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NinjaWarrior wrote on 2023-04-06, 15:33:

Superb! I would like one please, sending an email. My setup would be exactly the last photo, adapter plus X2GS with no pi zero. Thank you!

Cool! I should add - if you're only planning on using the adapter with a wavetable board you don't actually need the purple DAC board at all - that's only for the Pi.

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 498 of 659, by NinjaWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2023-04-06, 20:02:
NinjaWarrior wrote on 2023-04-06, 15:33:

Cool! I should add - if you're only planning on using the adapter with a wavetable board you don't actually need the purple DAC board at all - that's only for the Pi.

I see. I will solder it anyway, just in case I add a Pi in the future. Thank you!

Reply 499 of 659, by Dragon Caesar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone tried Monkey Island Ultimate Talkie Edition? My TinyLlama freezes as soon as Guy says "Hi". Searching around it looks like it happens to folks with certain mouse drivers but I'm not using any with the Llama.

Edit - For anyone else experiencing this, I figured it out. UniSound by default assigns IRQ 5, if you use SET BLASTER, specify I7, and then run UniSound to force IRQ 7 the game will run without freezing.