VOGONS

TinyLlama (Vortex86EX SBC)

Topic actions

Reply 500 of 659, by NinjaWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dragon Caesar wrote on 2023-04-11, 12:15:

Has anyone tried Monkey Island Ultimate Talkie Edition? My TinyLlama freezes as soon as Guy says "Hi". Searching around it looks like it happens to folks with certain mouse drivers but I'm not using any with the Llama.

Edit - For anyone else experiencing this, I figured it out. UniSound by default assigns IRQ 5, if you use SET BLASTER, specify I7, and then run UniSound to force IRQ 7 the game will run without freezing.

Interesting, thank you for sharing!

Reply 501 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Edit - For anyone else experiencing this, I figured it out. UniSound by default assigns IRQ 5, if you use SET BLASTER, specify I7, and then run UniSound to force IRQ 7 the game will run without freezing.

My documentation on Github clearly specifies using IRQ 7 the way you just said! 😉

The LlamaBlaster sound card
ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 502 of 659, by Dragon Caesar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2023-04-12, 15:15:

My documentation on Github clearly specifies using IRQ 7 the way you just said! 😉

Duh, serves me right for not reading!

Reply 503 of 659, by Aaron707

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On the TinyLlama, and Vortex86EX, is it possible to have a disk activity LED? I looked at the schematics for the SOM and didn't see anything. Unsure if anything can be mapped to unused pin for that purpose. Thanks

Reply 504 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Aaron707 wrote on 2023-04-21, 19:27:

On the TinyLlama, and Vortex86EX, is it possible to have a disk activity LED? I looked at the schematics for the SOM and didn't see anything. Unsure if anything can be mapped to unused pin for that purpose. Thanks

I've been looking into that myself. Unfortunately I haven't found any good solution, don't think there's any purpose-made solution at least. No ready-to-go pin one could bring out through the crossbar.
For the SD card, I guess one could hook a mosfet gate onto one of the data lines or something, and use that to drive a led. No idea how that would turn out... 😀
Another way could be to modify the BIOS to do something on data reads/writes. The EX has the ability to use some of its pins as GPIOs, but I've been using all of its port groups for other purposes (ISA mostly).
Open to suggestions!

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 505 of 659, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It could be possible to modify coreboot/seabios int13h handler that way when entered the handler use a GPIO to light on the LED and ligt it off just before IRET.

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 506 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RayeR wrote on 2023-04-21, 23:55:

It could be possible to modify coreboot/seabios int13h handler that way when entered the handler use a GPIO to light on the LED and ligt it off just before IRET.

Yeah exactly, problem is that we don't really have any GPIOs available because all the pins are used for other things (ISA bus, serial, PS/2, etc)... 🙁

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 507 of 659, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aha, ok, then let user decide if this function worth to sacrifice another functionality. Btw where is PS/2 used od TinyLama? I'm assembling PCB v2.1 and it has only 4 USB, not PS/2...

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 508 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RayeR wrote on 2023-04-22, 00:10:

Aha, ok, then let user decide if this function worth to sacrifice another functionality. Btw where is PS/2 used od TinyLama? I'm assembling PCB v2.1 and it has only 4 USB, not PS/2...

2 of the USB ports go straight to the CH559 chip which runs rasteri's "HIDman" firmware which translates USB HID devices into keyboard and mouse PS/2 signals. This works way better than letting SeaBIOS do the PS/2 emulation.

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 509 of 659, by Aaron707

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2023-04-21, 19:44:
I've been looking into that myself. Unfortunately I haven't found any good solution, don't think there's any purpose-made soluti […]
Show full quote
Aaron707 wrote on 2023-04-21, 19:27:

I've been looking into that myself. Unfortunately I haven't found any good solution, don't think there's any purpose-made solution at least. No ready-to-go pin one could bring out through the crossbar.
For the SD card, I guess one could hook a mosfet gate onto one of the data lines or something, and use that to drive a led. No idea how that would turn out... 😀
Another way could be to modify the BIOS to do something on data reads/writes. The EX has the ability to use some of its pins as GPIOs, but I've been using all of its port groups for other purposes (ISA mostly).
Open to suggestions!

Thank you for the idea. I think I will try the diagram here: https://hackaday.io/project/12782-orange-pi-p … -and-status-led
Looks like a PNP transistor on pin-2 of the SD card slot might do it. When the 5v signal goes low on the base it will trigger the LED. I will get a BC557 PNP transistor to try next week.

Attachments

Reply 510 of 659, by ExplodingLemur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Question on the crossbar config, I'm looking at crossbar-tinyllama-rev2.1.bin and the Vortex86EX datasheet. The first byte corresponds to Port0, right? in the crossbar.bin it's 0x41, or 0100 0001. The datasheet says for the first 10 bytes of the crossbar config only bits 4-0 of each byte are used and 7-5 are reserved, so why is it 0x41 (0100 0001) and not 0x01 (0000 0001)? I'm probably missing something about the reserved bits somewhere else in the datasheet as I've just been jumping around a bit to look at the crossbar stuff...

Reply 511 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Aaron707 wrote on 2023-04-22, 00:23:

Thank you for the idea. I think I will try the diagram here: https://hackaday.io/project/12782-orange-pi-p … -and-status-led
Looks like a PNP transistor on pin-2 of the SD card slot might do it. When the 5v signal goes low on the base it will trigger the LED. I will get a BC557 PNP transistor to try next week.

Cool, give it a shot! Just a couple of things to be aware of - first, it looks like that article talks about the MicroSD card being used in SPI mode, where pin 2 is the CS signal. The Vortex86EX runs the SD card in "SD mode", where pin 2 is DAT3. I dunno if this is the best signal to use as an activity indicator, maybe it would be better to use pin 3 (CMD). You could try experimenting and see which one works best?
Second, it's good practice to add a resistor between the signal and the base of the transistor, as not to let too much current pass through and mess with the signal. Not sure it's absolutely needed in this case, but better to be safe than sorry. Try searching for some kind of transistor calculator online to figure out the best resistor value for driving the led (as high a resistance as possible while low enough to properly open the base-collector path of the transistor).

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 512 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ExplodingLemur wrote on 2023-04-22, 00:59:

Question on the crossbar config, I'm looking at crossbar-tinyllama-rev2.1.bin and the Vortex86EX datasheet. The first byte corresponds to Port0, right? in the crossbar.bin it's 0x41, or 0100 0001. The datasheet says for the first 10 bytes of the crossbar config only bits 4-0 of each byte are used and 7-5 are reserved, so why is it 0x41 (0100 0001) and not 0x01 (0000 0001)? I'm probably missing something about the reserved bits somewhere else in the datasheet as I've just been jumping around a bit to look at the crossbar stuff...

Take a look at section 10.15.2 of the datasheet. The first 4 bytes are just a "magic" string. What are you trying to modify in the crossbar data?

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 514 of 659, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Eivind wrote on 2023-04-22, 00:13:

2 of the USB ports go straight to the CH559 chip which runs rasteri's "HIDman" firmware which translates USB HID devices into keyboard and mouse PS/2 signals. This works way better than letting SeaBIOS do the PS/2 emulation.

Aha, I didn't get a CH559 yet... How the FW is programmed in? From vortex or ext. Tool? I would be fine with native PS/2 double miniDIN as I have a plenty of old kbd & mice...

Using SD CS# signal is also good idea, instead PNP I would use P-MOSFET without need of base resistor.

Reply 515 of 659, by ExplodingLemur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RayeR wrote on 2023-04-22, 13:29:

Aha, I didn't get a CH559 yet... How the FW is programmed in? From vortex or ext. Tool?

You program the CH559 through a Windows application. You'll need a USB male-to-male cable.
https://github.com/eivindbohler/tinyllama2#pr … mming-the-ch559

Reply 516 of 659, by NinjaWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I finally got time to test my Tinyllama and I am stuck at CS4237B eeprom programming. If I enter:

resource /f=0x120 /r=cs4237b.asm /e

I get CONTROL not found at 0x120 address

Tried also with the default address, same error.

Any clues?

Reply 517 of 659, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you tried this ?
"Force CONTROL Logical Device Address" - ALT+A

Reply 519 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NinjaWarrior wrote on 2023-04-24, 16:35:
Well, I finally got time to test my Tinyllama and I am stuck at CS4237B eeprom programming. If I enter: […]
Show full quote

Well, I finally got time to test my Tinyllama and I am stuck at CS4237B eeprom programming. If I enter:

resource /f=0x120 /r=cs4237b.asm /e

I get CONTROL not found at 0x120 address

Tried also with the default address, same error.

Any clues?

Is this the 1.1 version of the TinyLlama? In that case, I’d double check your soldering. That command works if everything’s soldered correctly.

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC