VOGONS

TinyLlama (Vortex86EX SBC)

Topic actions

Reply 540 of 659, by ExplodingLemur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I printed the case using Hatchbox grey PLA for the bottom half and PrintedSolid Jessie 500 beige PLA for the top half and buttons and I'm quite happy with that color combo 😀 I was going for a 90s Packard Bell desktop look and it definitely hits that note. I did modify the case a bit for extra ventilation though I think I need to re-print it without the top vents opened up. I may also try to get a spot in the front for the MT32-Pi's OLED. (BTW, thanks for posting the STEP files rather than just STLs, @Eivind!) Prusa i3 Mk3, 0.6mm nozzle, 0.3mm layers, 15% infill.

Attachments

Reply 542 of 659, by iabhua

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sukerbole wrote on 2023-05-15, 19:27:

Just was wondering were people got the DMP stuff.
It seems that the paypal option is gone and the email address of DMP webshop does not work.

https://shop.dmp.com.tw/INT/products/25

This is where I got mine.

You could try wdl systems icop:
https://www.wdlsystems.com/ICOP-VEX-SOM-Vorte … DDR3-40C-to-85C

They are more expensive though.

Reply 543 of 659, by Sukerbole

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
iabhua wrote on 2023-05-15, 19:36:
https://shop.dmp.com.tw/INT/products/25 […]
Show full quote
Sukerbole wrote on 2023-05-15, 19:27:

Just was wondering were people got the DMP stuff.
It seems that the paypal option is gone and the email address of DMP webshop does not work.

https://shop.dmp.com.tw/INT/products/25

This is where I got mine.

You could try wdl systems icop:
https://www.wdlsystems.com/ICOP-VEX-SOM-Vorte … DDR3-40C-to-85C

They are more expensive though.

Thanks. Tried the DMP site however was not able to pay.
shop@dmp.com.tw email does not work. Anybody have a working email from them?
Could ofcourse try info@.. That one did not return.. Now let’s wait..

Last edited by Sukerbole on 2023-05-15, 20:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 545 of 659, by Sukerbole

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You mean shop@dmp.com.tw?

No that one does not work:

shop@dmp.com.tw
host assp.dmp.com.tw [61.220.30.140]
SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
550 5.7.1 No such mail drop defined

Was able to get in touch with them and order the boards.

Reply 546 of 659, by Aaron707

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just thought I would share that I figured out a solution for the SD-Card activity LED . Used a yellow 3mm LED (1.9-2.4V) and 1K resistor on positive leg of LED. Wired negative leg to Data0 of the SD card since the data line is normally pulled up when not operating. And positive leg to VCC (VDD pin 4) .Works great and only illuminates when there is activity. I am using an SD-card extender so that is what I wired this too, not directly to the TinyLlama PCB.

Attachments

• SD Card LED.jpg
    Filename
    SD Card LED.jpg
    File size
    454.29 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 547 of 659, by ExplodingLemur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wonder what the spec'd drive current is on that line? I'd feed a transistor gate with that pin rather than use it to run an LED directly just to be cautious.

Reply 548 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Aaron707 wrote on 2023-05-23, 22:53:

Just thought I would share that I figured out a solution for the SD-Card activity LED . Used a yellow 3mm LED (1.9-2.4V) and 1K resistor on positive leg of LED. Wired negative leg to Data0 of the SD card since the data line is normally pulled up when not operating. And positive leg to VCC (VDD pin 4) .Works great and only illuminates when there is activity. I am using an SD-card extender so that is what I wired this too, not directly to the TinyLlama PCB.

That's cool! Did you experiment with using the different sd card signals and found D0 to work the best?

ExplodingLemur wrote on 2023-05-24, 01:03:

I wonder what the spec'd drive current is on that line? I'd feed a transistor gate with that pin rather than use it to run an LED directly just to be cautious.

I think you mentioned using a transistor a few pages back, Aaron? However, using a LED and resistor as you described would only draw a current of 1-2mA - and since each pin's current driving on the Vortex86EX is spec'ed as 8mA (though, it doesn't talk about sourcing or sinking), I'm not surprised it seems to work just fine!

The LlamaBlaster sound card
ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 549 of 659, by Aaron707

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I only tested with D0 signal. I found this video https://youtu.be/SsPOobvoBe8 that described the process (in comments). Seemed much easier to implement than a transistor. Working great so far. If someone finds a better solution please share! It is hard to find much info on adding activity indicator to SD card slot outside of the RaspberryPi circles. And most others only discuss SPI mode.

Reply 550 of 659, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With relatively high-speed devices like SD cards there's more to consider than just current carrying capacity, I would be worried about upsetting signal integrity on certain combinations of card/OS/transfer mode. If it works on your setup then great, but I wouldn't be using it in situations where reliability is important.

Reply 551 of 659, by ahmadexp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I am new to this amazing project. I got super excited about the Tinyllama 2 and I ordered the PCB in White and hand assembled all the components. Here are some pictures. Then I went with a clear resin 3D print of the box. Interestingly, I figured out to place the 0.96" OLED right about the buttons. Here are some pictures.
Special thanks and congratulations to Eivind for this amazing project.

Attachments

• assembled_front.png
    Filename
    assembled_front.png
    File size
    367.08 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • clear_case.png
    Filename
    clear_case.png
    File size
    1.99 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 552 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ahmadexp wrote on 2023-05-31, 14:17:

Hello everyone,

I am new to this amazing project. I got super excited about the Tinyllama 2 and I ordered the PCB in White and hand assembled all the components. Here are some pictures. Then I went with a clear resin 3D print of the box. Interestingly, I figured out to place the 0.96" OLED right about the buttons. Here are some pictures.
Special thanks and congratulations to Eivind for this amazing project.

Nice touch with the white PCB and clear case! Hope you'll get the wavetable adapter soon, if it hasn't reached you already! 👍

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 553 of 659, by ahmadexp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got it and I am going to print the tall version of the upper case to be able to put it on.
Just wondering, why do we need to move the PCM board to the adapter? Aren't the same I2S wires available via the RPi connector?

Reply 554 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ahmadexp wrote on 2023-06-01, 02:15:

I just got it and I am going to print the tall version of the upper case to be able to put it on.
Just wondering, why do we need to move the PCM board to the adapter? Aren't the same I2S wires available via the RPi connector?

Yes, but not the analog audio lines! 😉 To elaborate, the analog output audio from the DAC is routed back into the CS4237B chip to be mixed in with everything else.

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 556 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ahmadexp wrote on 2023-06-01, 05:11:

Oh I see, so the wavetable outputs in analog then. That's why you needed to mix it all together with the PCM before sending it to the line in of the crystal.

Yep, the path is either:
CS4237B->MIDI->RPi->I2S->DAC->analog audio->CS4237B or
CS4237B->MIDI->wavetable board->analog audio->CS4237B

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 558 of 659, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ahmadexp wrote on 2023-06-01, 16:56:

Sorry if this is a noob question. On the keyboard I get "Insert mode" enabled after every press of Enter. This must be a bug, right?

Hmmm...not sure if I've seen this before. Are you running DOSKEY? Could it be that one messing it up (check its settings)?

ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 559 of 659, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ahmadexp wrote on 2023-06-01, 16:56:

Sorry if this is a noob question. On the keyboard I get "Insert mode" enabled after every press of Enter. This must be a bug, right?

Have you tried a different keyboard? Maybe HIDMAN is being weird...