VOGONS

Reply 20 of 29, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Luke4838P wrote on 2022-05-12, 16:01:

Bump for a question.
Is the charging circuit here?

Are you certain this motherboard charges the battery? If so, you might be able to swap the battery with a ML2032 instead.

Did you manage to grab the BIOS by any chance?

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 21 of 29, by Luke4838P

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hezus wrote on 2022-05-12, 18:31:
Luke4838P wrote on 2022-05-12, 16:01:

Bump for a question.
Is the charging circuit here?

Are you certain this motherboard charges the battery? If so, you might be able to swap the battery with a ML2032 instead.

Did you manage to grab the BIOS by any chance?

For this, yes, i just need to grab it from the diskette, the trouble is from this motherboard that lacks USB interfaces and i need to use diskettes (especially when the system is Windows 95 OSR 2.5C with Plus!).
Are you sure they're fit to replace the barrel battery? for what i heard the ML-2032\LIR-2032 isn't fit for a Ni-Mh\Ni-Cd charging circuit as the lithium rechargeables need a circuit to stop it from overcharging (also considering that most likely the voltage of the + pole from the PSU will be around 4.5\4.7V and if i remember correctly the LIR 2032\ML 2032 have a maximum tolerated voltage).
I need to test it while turning on the PC to see how much current goes to the battery poles.
But i'm 99% sure that should be recharging, as there was a barrel battery there, and those ARE rechargeable that can handle higher voltages than lithium rechargeables.
Curse those barrel batteries, i would have rather drilled the DALLAS battery with a CR 2032 mod like my father's old 486 that only died a couple years ago after 25 years of use.
If that's the charging circuit, i will cut this trace and place a diode there (Schottky but i don't remember the 1NXXXX designation, small black ones that can block the voltage well).
Underneath there's nothing from the two poles of the battery, so the only trace to the + pole should be there.
I made a sketch on what i've observed, can someone tell me if this makes sense?
Edit:
There's a picture of what it looks like now with the glue removed.

Attachments

• IMG-20220514-WA0013.jpg
    Filename
    IMG-20220514-WA0013.jpg
    File size
    237.99 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • circuit.jpg
    Filename
    circuit.jpg
    File size
    243.71 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    The acid from the barrel battery seems to have just removed the protective paint.
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 22 of 29, by Luke4838P

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update after being able to get that MB working.
I've removed the diode and used wires to a CR-2032 Battery holder so now the cmos is stable.
Now, I've got that PC running and it boots in win 95C correctly.
Unfortunately though, the MB is giving me the error about a ps/2 mouse not plugged despite this motherboard lacking such a port (at least the soldered port).
I managed to get an old serial mouse and plugged it in but windows 95 does not seem to see it.
I tried running "new hardware" but the search does not boot up anything.
When rebooting, the mouse setting says "ps/2 mouse".
How can I make windows 95 see the serial mouse?
I tried plugging this mouse in another pentium mmx win98se machine and it works.

Reply 23 of 29, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The “PCI S3 trio64 DX 3D” is a card with more DOS game compatibility.
Should be able to play 95% of DOS with good quality and performance.
Use with Win95 and DOS

Reply 24 of 29, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does BIOS have anything about disabling PS/2 mouse. Windows is probably picking up that the chipset supports PS/2 even though it's not implemented on the board. -If not it doesn't really matter Windows can happily have a PS/2 and serial mouse.

If you download and run cutemouse from a dos prompt does the mouse get picked up? This will narrow down if its a Windows or hardware issue
https://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/

Reply 25 of 29, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Luke4838P wrote on 2023-01-19, 11:15:
Update after being able to get that MB working. I've removed the diode and used wires to a CR-2032 Battery holder so now the cmo […]
Show full quote

Update after being able to get that MB working.
I've removed the diode and used wires to a CR-2032 Battery holder so now the cmos is stable.
Now, I've got that PC running and it boots in win 95C correctly.
Unfortunately though, the MB is giving me the error about a ps/2 mouse not plugged despite this motherboard lacking such a port (at least the soldered port).
I managed to get an old serial mouse and plugged it in but windows 95 does not seem to see it.
I tried running "new hardware" but the search does not boot up anything.
When rebooting, the mouse setting says "ps/2 mouse".
How can I make windows 95 see the serial mouse?
I tried plugging this mouse in another pentium mmx win98se machine and it works.

I haven't used any Ps2 mouse on mine.. just serial. But mine runs on DOS 6.22 so can't say what Win95 is up to. It's probably something you need to set in the BIOS.

Speaking of BIOS: have you had the chance to dump that BIOS yet? I would really like to have it for my machine.

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 27 of 29, by Luke4838P

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2023-01-20, 11:13:

Does BIOS have anything about disabling PS/2 mouse. Windows is probably picking up that the chipset supports PS/2 even though it's not implemented on the board. -If not it doesn't really matter Windows can happily have a PS/2 and serial mouse.

If you download and run cutemouse from a dos prompt does the mouse get picked up? This will narrow down if its a Windows or hardware issue
https://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/

Hello.
No, the BIOS doesn't say anything about PS/2.
The only thing is mentioned in "GREEN PC SETTINGS" that mentions "Power-up event" with all the IRQs (that i think is used if i want to 'wake' up a PC from a power saving hybernation).
PS/2 Mouse is there mentioned for IRQ 12.
The bios is PHOENIX BIOS 4.04.
The Menu is as following
System Setup
• Fixed Disk Setup
• Advanced System Setup
• Boot Options
• Security and Anti-Virus
• Green PC Features

• Load ROM Default Values
• Load Values from CMOS
• Save Values to CMOS
↑↓ Move Enter Select
F1 Help
ESC Exit
F10 Save
& Exit

COM1 and COM2 are setup to use IRQ3 and IRQ4, with the choice of I/o of:
Auto (for all)
3f8 3e8
2f8 2e8
Disabled (for all)

LPT Port (278-378)

No mention of PS/2 Mouse.
Manual is here:
https://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/Data … rs%20Manual.pdf

When booting, the motherboard says "EXP-8049 Rev 2.2"

Anyway, i used a FD to copy Cutemouse on the PC and when using CTmouse.exe it says "DEVICE NOT FOUND".
To be 100% sure, i've plugged in another serial mouse but it refuses to see it.
I even tried to flip the COM1-COM2 plugs in the motherboard, but the result doesn't change.
Unless i have to plug them the other way around.
I also tried removing all the COM ports in Device manager, remove the mouse, restart, and the PC will automatically install "PS/2 Mouse", despite not even having this port, it's infuriating.
Cutemouse is seeing the COM ports:
COM1-IRQ3-3f8
COM2-IRQ4-2f8

I haven't used any Ps2 mouse on mine.. just serial. But mine runs on DOS 6.22 so can't say what Win95 is up to. It's probably something you need to set in the BIOS.

Speaking of BIOS: have you had the chance to dump that BIOS yet? I would really like to have it for my machine.

Neither is mine, it is a PS/2 compatible but it uses a serial plug.
This model: C3K5K5COMB.
I tried to even install a driver for the mouse.
It stops giving the error at the startup but the mouse doesn't work anyway.
No, at the moment i didn't copy it yet, i'm trying to make the mouse work, if i will be able to fix it, i will be copying it.

Attachments

Reply 28 of 29, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What do you mean with PS2 compatible? From what I know, your mouse either has a PS2 connector or a 9 (or 25) pin serial connector. If there are no ps2 ports on the motherboard then there is no need to try with PS2. You can only install a serial mouse.

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 29 of 29, by Luke4838P

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hezus wrote on 2023-01-22, 11:44:

What do you mean with PS2 compatible? From what I know, your mouse either has a PS2 connector or a 9 (or 25) pin serial connector. If there are no ps2 ports on the motherboard then there is no need to try with PS2. You can only install a serial mouse.

It means that the mouse I have can use an adapter from Serial to Ps/2 if one wants to plug it in a motherboard that has such a connector.
I don't need a ps2 adapter as my mouse has db9 connector, I'm just wondering why win95 keeps installing a ps/2 mouse driver despite not having this port, even with the mouse unplugged.

I tried using a driver for dos and using LH command, and for a session, the mouse was moving the cursor, although Cutemouse was not detecting anything.
However, the mouse was malfunctioning (moving the cursor also triggers the left right mouse clicks despite not even touching them).
In the BIOS , the COM1 irq and i/o turned in ???????, when I changed it the mouse stopped working at all.
Also another COM appeared.
Changing the IRQ of COM after removing the ps/2 mouse causes windows to install the ps/2 mouse again.
That makes me think that the system might have needed originally a special com to ps/2 mouse bracket like the "0Y9003 DELL Optiplex Serial + 2x PS2 Port Add-in Card".

Attachments