VOGONS

Reply 40 of 81, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stanwebber wrote on 2022-05-11, 20:42:

i can assure you the guy couldn't care less. he got stuck with maybe 100 or more of these units from a storage container auction and wants to unload them & his prices reflect it. you can't even find his listing unless your search is as generic as 'motherboard'.

Shhhh.... You'll wake the hoarders.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 41 of 81, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stanwebber wrote on 2022-05-11, 20:42:
Con 2 botones wrote on 2022-05-11, 19:33:

I must admit, I asked the seller to send a board with the less bad caps possible.
He either didn´t know what I was talking about (which I suspect is the case) or thought to himself "yeah sure...dumbass" and throw the first board at glance to be shipped 😁

i can assure you the guy couldn't care less. he got stuck with maybe 100 or more of these units from a storage container auction and wants to unload them & his prices reflect it. you can't even find his listing unless your search is as generic as 'motherboard'.

Yes. I get it.
For the price, we can´t complain, to be honest.
Maybe the shipping rate (superior to the actual item sold), not that much justified...

Reply 42 of 81, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

if he would just give on reducing the shipping for multiple units i would roll the dice on several more. after all, the caps in his auction photo sort of look pretty good and i have a hard time believing he cherry picked that board so if by random chance it happened once it can happen again. i would even try anyway for a raid board, but he dismissed having any raid boards which i know is inaccurate since someone in this very thread has reported receiving one since at random.

as it stands i already have 2 of these boards (1 from the seller) and if it's gonna cost me $130 to get it professionally recapped anyway i really only need 1.

Reply 43 of 81, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stanwebber wrote on 2022-05-11, 21:20:

if he would just give on reducing the shipping for multiple units i would roll the dice on several more. after all, the caps in his auction photo sort of look pretty good<snip>

The Hermei caps are no good, even the ones that look good... The short 6.3V 1500uF caps are testing anywhere between vastly under their rating, or far more than their 20% tolerance... All my tall Hermei caps from my KK266+ are bloated so there's no point in testing those.

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 45 of 81, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ptr1ck wrote on 2022-05-11, 23:09:

Have you took off any of the smaller ones and tested?

Only my larger ones were bulging or crusty.

Yes. The 8mm, and also many 6.3mm and 5mm (except perhaps for the audio circuit capacitors).

Of the 8mm, 11 are 6.3v 1000uF and 1 is 16v 470uF. All are Hermei "LE" series. Spec is 600mA ripple and 0.090 ESR (except for the 16v 470uF part which is something like 8x15mm, but I couldn't find it in the datasheet).

None of them are crusty on top like the larger ones, but some of them are definitely 'bloated' (i.e. the tops are not completely flat). I'm certain they will not test good, that being the case.

The black 5mm and 6.3mm Hermei SH caps (SH is also a 2000 part, but a miniaturized series) test ok out of circuit. You don't really need to replace those, unless you want to be extremely thorough.

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 47 of 81, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ptr1ck wrote on 2022-05-12, 01:36:

I replaced everything 8mm and up on my board which was like 32 total.

I have it as follows:

4 x 10V 2200uF 10mm (VRM high)
5 x 6.3V 2200uF 10mm (VRM low)
3 x 16V 1000uF 10mm
10 x 6.3V 1500uF 10mm
11 x 6.3V 1000uF 8mm
1 x 16v 470uF 8mm

5 x 16v 100uF 6.3mm
15 x 16v 22uF 5mm

34 to be precise, you missed two caps. There are also 20 more 6.3mm and 5mm caps. So 54 capacitors total. I did all but the 8 in the audio circuit. Unfortunately, they used a CMI8738 chip for this model. Other board models with the VIA audio chip have almost perfect SB emulation.

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 48 of 81, by ptr1ck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I must have miscounted. I certainly didn't leave any of the hermei of the bigger size on it. Only a few looked ok but I didn't chance it. All the little ones appeared fine.

"ITXBOX" SFF-Win11
KT133A-NV28-V2 SLI-DOS/WinME

Reply 49 of 81, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the smaller capacitor nearest the fan header along the top edge (mounted in tower case) of the board is the only (outwardly) failing capacitor on my raid board. any idea what circuit it's in or how critical?

Reply 50 of 81, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stanwebber wrote on 2022-05-12, 04:07:

the smaller capacitor nearest the fan header along the top edge (mounted in tower case) of the board is the only (outwardly) failing capacitor on my raid board. any idea what circuit it's in or how critical?

The one near the ATX power connector or the one behind the USB ports?

The one behind the USB ports filters ripple for the 5V DC signal to USB devices - important only if you're going to use those connectors.

The one near the power connector is either fitering one of the rails coming out of the connector or it has something to do with the Intersil HIP6301CB voltage regulator... That is definitely an important cap you should not leave in a compromised state.

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 51 of 81, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

uh, i knew i should have drawn a circle around it, but i'm on my phone and have no paint app installed. there are four 3-pin fan headers on the board (including northbridge). the one i'm talking about is along the board edge near the memory slots. the capacitor in question is a few mm away from this fan header.

Reply 52 of 81, by ptr1ck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I believe these boards could be setup with a "turbo" button. The jumper for the FSB selection could be tied to a switch. It doesn't work while the system is running but could be handy upon reboot if you want to drop the speed without cracking open the case.

I'm not sure if dropping to 550~mhz is that beneficial though.

Edit: Received the 2 "new" boards today. They are just as crusty as the one I got originally. Both have a free Athlon XP 1700. One of them has a little damage to the CPU socket, but it may be OK.

Last edited by ptr1ck on 2022-05-12, 20:00. Edited 1 time in total.

"ITXBOX" SFF-Win11

Reply 53 of 81, by ptr1ck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here is my BIOS for the non-RAID K266 Plus rev 1.0 that I have. I have detailed the changes made via modbin in the quote below.

KK266plus/35104A (Aug.26.2003) Turbo Advanced BIOS Features: -Video BIOS Shadow: Default to Disabled. Advanced Chipset Feat […]
Show full quote

KK266plus/35104A (Aug.26.2003) Turbo

Advanced BIOS Features:
-Video BIOS Shadow: Default to Disabled.
Advanced Chipset Features:
-AGP Master 1 WS Write: Available, default to Disabled.
-AGP Master 1 WS Read: Available, default to Disabled.
-K7_CLK_CTL_Select: Available, default to Optimal.
Integrated Peripherals:
-Onboard Serial and Parallel Ports: Default to Disabled.
Power Management Setup:
-ACPI function: Available, default to Enabled.
-AC PWR Loss Recovery: Available, default to Former-Sts
-Wake Up Events > USB Resume from S3/S4/S5: Available, default to Disabled.
PnP/PCI Configurations:
-PNP OS Installed: Available, default to No
-PCI/VGA Palette Snoop: Available, default to Disabled.
-Assign IRQ for VGA: Available, default to Enabled.
-Assign IRQ for USB: Available, default to Enabled.

Attachments

• Filename
    KKP0826T.zip
    File size
    141.08 KiB
    Downloads
    51 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"ITXBOX" SFF-Win11

Reply 54 of 81, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ptr1ck wrote on 2022-05-12, 13:17:

Received the 2 "new" boards today. They are just as crusty as the one I got originally. Both have a free Athlon XP 1700. One of them has a little damage to the CPU socket, but it may be OK.

sorry to hear you lost the capacitor lottery. what is the damage to the cpu socket? broken tab? i might insist on a replacement for that one. you know he has them. hey, with all the surplus xp 1700s you should try unlocking one of them. i'd do the same, but i know i'm guaranteed to destroy it.

is anyone else having trouble with single-sided sdram? i'd like to populate the third slot (currently 2 x 256mb), but all i have left are 128mb single-sided sticks. the system posts, but the memory self-test and memtest86 fail spectacularly. i've tried swapping to the first slot, but it won't even post then.

also, i get no rpm readout on any of my cpu or system fans with all the headers populated. does anyone know what the min rpm has to be to register?

Reply 55 of 81, by ptr1ck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The damage isn't to the pin area or tabs. Its like something hot was laid against it like a soldering iron. I have about half a dozen or more socket As laying around of all varieties; pretty sure I already F'd up one 1700 messing with unlocking before just buying my mobile chip for $6.

I haven't tried any single sided. I don't have much SDR RAM around, only my 2-256 double density Kingmax and 2-128 of something more basic. Mine runs the Kingmax at CAS 2 133 or CAS 3 150mhz no problem.

No idea about the fans. Mine seem to be reporting OK.

"ITXBOX" SFF-Win11

Reply 56 of 81, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mockingbird wrote on 2022-05-11, 17:12:

Very nice!

You got a Revision 2 (non-raid) board...

Maybe you can try a Thoroughbred or Barton for us please? (though I doubt Rev2 works with them either)...

Well, I tried 4 Thoroughbred core Athlon XP CPUs on the board
2 AXDA2200DUV3C (one brown, one green), 1 AXDA2400DKV3C and 1 AXDA2600DKV3C (all of them known to work):

sa2.jpg

Unfortunately none of them boots, the board starts but there´s no video signal.
After removing them I noticed no warmth on the die (although they were not on for much time).

Since Thoroughbred core CPUs , were not cooperating, I found futile to try a Barton core 2500+

But I did try an exotic mobile Duron, DHM0950AQS1B.
This didn´t work in other two socket A boards of mine, didn´t work on this Iwill either.
I suspect it is in non working condition though, it is a little"biten" on its die lower-right corner:

DHM0950-AQS1-B.jpg

Reply 57 of 81, by ptr1ck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While it's kind of unfortunate that it doesn't run anything faster than about 1600mhz, do we really need it to? (Of course!)

To me this board is meant to be an alternative to Pentium 3 systems, which I can do perfectly with the mobile XP chip since it incorporates SSE and can clock down to 550 or up to 1400 without anymore voltage.

"ITXBOX" SFF-Win11

Reply 58 of 81, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ptr1ck wrote on 2022-05-18, 17:33:

While it's kind of unfortunate that it doesn't run anything faster than about 1600mhz, do we really need it to? (Of course!)

To me this board is meant to be an alternative to Pentium 3 systems, which I can do perfectly with the mobile XP chip since it incorporates SSE and can clock down to 550 or up to 1400 without anymore voltage.

Personally, it doesn´t make me sad at all.
I thought of this board as the (period correct) home for a top of the line Thunderbird socket A Athlon.
It runs Palomino (If one wanted it to), that´s great. If it didn´t I wouldn´t mind.

Reply 59 of 81, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Con 2 botones wrote on 2022-05-18, 16:46:
But I did try an exotic mobile Duron, DHM0950AQS1B. This didn´t work in other two socket A boards of mine, didn´t work on this […]
Show full quote

But I did try an exotic mobile Duron, DHM0950AQS1B.
This didn´t work in other two socket A boards of mine, didn´t work on this Iwill either.
I suspect it is in non working condition though, it is a little"biten" on its die lower-right corner:

DHM0950-AQS1-B.jpg

that's a huge bite. it looks even worse zoomed in. there's no hope going that deep into the core.