VOGONS

First post, by Bendejo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As the title states, I want to make a build that showcases the video card. At first i was thinking maybe going with a Windows98/XP build. But maybe it would be better to go another route?

So for Windows 98/XP i had something like LGA775, Intel Core 2 Duo E8600/ Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 for highest performance. These I heard can also be down clocked quite low to give better compatibility for speed sensitive games. These CPU should have no problem with anything either OS should throw at it. Though I do understand the video card would be very limited in XP. I seen it struggle with half life 2 so that's about as far as I would probably take it.

But do you think maybe I should take this a different direction? like singular high end 98/3DFX build or even flexible DOS/98/XP?

So much to think about.

Reply 2 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also is this is an original 3dfx card, you won't be able to use it with such a "modern" socket.

If you can afford V56k, finding AGP-PCI adapter won't be a big problem.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 11, by Bendejo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sirotkaslo wrote on 2022-09-01, 10:20:

Games that are speed sensitive won't need a v56k. Also is this is an original 3dfx card, you won't be able to use it with such a "modern" socket.

No this is the repro from Anthony. The plan was to use a Voodoo 1 on PCI and V56k on AGP. V1 for DOS compatibility, and V56k for 98 and higher. All running on maybe a SS7 platform or 440BX running VIA C3 Nehemiah. Maybe on another platform i haven't considered where i can still play some DOS, but gives me max performance for 98, and better XP performance? Is there a point where the GPU becomes the bottleneck in W98.

The other idea to scrap DOS altogether and go 98/XP pushing V56k on 98 to the max, then seeing how far the V56k can take me in XP. I saw HL2 running on original V56k hardware so would be kinda neat to see it running early source engine games. Since no DOS is needed the last platform to support 98 is LGA775 seems like a no brainer. I can also consider getting something like a Radeon HD3850 AGP to get great XP performance. But would need a AGP-PCI adapter for it. Im kinda leaning towards this route.

Reply 5 of 11, by Bendejo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-09-01, 10:24:

Also is this is an original 3dfx card, you won't be able to use it with such a "modern" socket.

If you can afford V56k, finding AGP-PCI adapter won't be a big problem.

That was the plan, to find such an adapter... but its easier said than done.

Reply 7 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Re: AGP to PCI adapters - any PCB designers here willing to make one?

something like LGA775, Intel Core 2 Duo E8600/ Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 for highest performance.

Technically, if you don't care about drivers that much in Win9x, you can use LGA1366, which already proven to work fine. Best you can squeeze it terms of unofficial compatibility is something on ICH7 chipset, like i975X or P31.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 8 of 11, by Bendejo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-09-02, 07:47:
Re: AGP to PCI adapters - any PCB designers here willing to make one? […]
Show full quote

Re: AGP to PCI adapters - any PCB designers here willing to make one?

something like LGA775, Intel Core 2 Duo E8600/ Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 for highest performance.

Technically, if you don't care about drivers that much in Win9x, you can use LGA1366, which already proven to work fine. Best you can squeeze it terms of unofficial compatibility is something on ICH7 chipset, like i975X or P31.

This site has everything doesnt it? 🤣

That is pretty sweet, looks like it's even doing native DOS which is awesome. Gonna have to read over that thread to ask some questions. Wasn't planning on doing W7/W10, but that machine covers decades of gaming.

Reply 9 of 11, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lian li PC case with clear side panel.

See Posts for Photos:
Post photos of your Mega-Luminum computers.

Attachments

Reply 10 of 11, by Bendejo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2022-09-03, 10:16:

Lian li PC case with clear side panel.

See Posts for Photos:
Post photos of your Mega-Luminum computers.

Thats a really nice case, always been a fan of early 2000s Lian Li case.

Reply 11 of 11, by Bendejo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright been reading a lot of the forum. I think I have it narrowed down to two CPUs, both I got inspiration for this user on the forums Abit KT7A (KT133A/VIA686B), Athlon XP Mobile 2500+.
The Abit KT7A paired with an Athlon 2800+XP-M cpu looks to be a very flexible type of CPU, powerful enough for early XP. And flexible enough for DOS. And overkill for almost any W98 game! Also most importantly, it has an ISA slot!

The other one to consider is the Athlon64 X2 5050e. No ISA but still a very flexible CPU. Plenty of PCI sound cards that work good with DOS to chose from. Downsides of course is I will need a AGP to PCI adapter for Voodoo 5 card, since i think most of these boards are AGP 4-8x or PCIe.

The other build that was mentioned was the first gen Core i7 system. Same situation as the Athlons X2, no ISA slot, and will need ISA to PCI adapter. But will be an strong CPU for Windows XP, and serviceable for W7 and W10. Though I am not too interested in post XP ability. Also seems like more work/ WIP? I will need to read more but not really too interested. But like i said before, what a crazy project!

Leaning most towards the first one, mainly for having the Voodoo as the main GPU and the ISA slot for DOS. But the other two are also very interesting. Also got some experience with both platforms from back in the day *the Athlon X2 6000 was my first build and Corei7 first gen my next*.