VOGONS

First post, by Hentzau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does glide run hotter than openGL? I've been wondering if running OpenGLide would generate more heat on a video card than running OpenGL? What made me think of this was the fact that my voodoo 3000 didn't come with any kind of fan, but 3dfx would let you add a 486 fan to the heatsink without voiding warranty because they had miscalculated the heat generated in native glide(or something like that). So if a card is designed to run in OpenGL, but its running in OpenGLide does it run hotter than it normally would?

Been noticing a few postings by guys with low end cards having DtDs after getting 10 minutes or so into a flight. Of course they are using three or so new things(West Front Patch, Promised Land, OpenGLide) at the same time so it makes it kind of hard to guess whats going on exactly. Heck they may need to do several things like drivers, directx. I just had to upgrade to directx8.1b to run the new Promised Land terrain myself.

Reply 1 of 3, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey man,
OpenGLide is nothing more than a DLL file that implements the Glide API mapping and converting all calls to OpenGL, so OpenGLide is just a regular OpenGL application, I don't see much sense in these hot/cool talk but sure you can add a fan to the card just to be more relaxed, but OpenGLide can hardly use the Video board more than Glide does.
But, let me ask you, why are you using OpenGLide if you already have native Glide? 😀

Reply 2 of 3, by Hentzau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GoldFinger wrote:

But, let me ask you, why are you using OpenGLide if you already have native Glide? 😀

Paul(Glidos) asked for some feedback on the use of the wrapper with voodoo cards.

I wasn't worried about my card, but thought maybe a few of the low end users(non-voodoo) might need extra cooling if their cards have to work harder to produce glide like effects. Its probably a non-issue though like you said. (i'm out of my depth 🤣)

Thanks for the reply Goldfinger!