VOGONS

King's Quest: Mask of Eternity (KQ8) problems

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Arek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Problem: KQ8 is incredibly slow in the menu (like 1fps or so) and also has mouse response/drawing problems (extremely sluggish + mouse droppings). Additionally the menu BG is not displayed. I have not been brave enough (or patient enough - take your pick) to try getting in-game as of yet. I have tried one edit to OpenGLid.ini - specifically, reducing texture/framebuffer ram from 16/8 to 2/2 (From what I've read, KQ8 uses a funky memory management routine that actually works better with smaller amounts of vram).

System specs:
AMD Duron@900Mhz (Yes it's slow, but I don't have $$$ to upgrade)
GF2MX w/32M ram (again, old/outdated but _should_ work IMO...)
--Using ForceWare 61.77 drivers
128M ram
WinXP

OpenGLid.LOG: See attachment.
Note: I have tried with 16/8 texture/framebuffer as well.

Additionally, Yes, I'm aware that KQ8 also supports D3D and software, but the game is too dark for me in D3D mode, particularly indoors, and the software renderer is just plain ugly. I'd love to see this wrapper get to where it works with the game. Meanwhile, I'm going to try other wrappers. Maybe I'll have better luck with one of them (as I already have had with zeckensack's wrapper - I'm looking at others becuase it was just a tad sluggish. My vcard maybe?)

Here's hoping that this wrapper gets some improvements out of this info.

--Arek
(james@verge-rpg.com)

Attachments

• Filename
    OpenGLid.LOG.txt
    File size
    3.94 KiB
    Downloads
    1299 downloads
    File comment
    My OpenGLid.LOG (renamed to .txt b/c .log ext isn't allowed here)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 5, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've just played KQ8 Swamp demo on Windows XP/GF2MX/Athlon 1800 system.
OpenGlide works extremely slow with it both in menu and in action.
But I tried Zeckensack's glide wrapper and it works great with this demo. You just need to set compatibility mode for 9x/ME. I installed this wrapper to directory where the demo was located, then ran configurator and chose options for Mask.exe.

Reply 2 of 5, by Arek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the info. As I mentioned earlier, I tried Zeckensack's glide wrapper on my system and it's somewhat slow. It may be because I don't have at least a "Tier 1" graphics card (ALL GFMX boards are "Tier 0") or enough processor power to back up any emulated functions. Trust me, I'm not hitting 15fps with it (more like 8-10). Once I get this corrected, Zeckensack's wrapper will be the way to go. Until then, I CAN use D3D (finally found a way to adjust gamma in the driver), even though it's not quite as pretty.

--Arek

Reply 3 of 5, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the same graphics card like you so it seems that the problem with performance is caused by processor (your Duron 900 vs my Athlon 1800).
And maybe not enough memory - 128MB is too little to play 3D games on XP
(did you try to turn all unnecessary services in XP off? It would increase your free memory).

So far the only solution for you is to play it in Direct3D unless you upgrade your system.

Greetings

Reply 4 of 5, by housefull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You should specify the 3rd component as a path on your local filesystem. The drive letter idiom is a DOS / Windows convention. Your Mac does not have a C drive. While I'm not familiar with the filesystem layout on the Mac, I'd imagine the appropriate command would be something like "mount c /Users"