VOGONS

Bug fixes and speed-up *PICS*

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 53, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And this is Swiv3D showing the menu problems.
Also, it looks as if there Z-Buffer errors. If you look closely at the hills you can see trees appearing from behind them.
There is also a distinct pattern with overlays, as in the messed up maps on MDK and Swiv3D.

Hope you don't mind the piccies ? I've tried to keep them as small as possible without sacrificing too much quality.

Attachments

• swiv3d-menu.jpg
    Filename
    swiv3d-menu.jpg
    File size
    22.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 21 of 53, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not a problem with me, they're pretty, keep them coming.

Of course, I'm sure Colin would appreciate it if you found alternate hosting. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 22 of 53, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Craig in super-tester mode again. Great pictures too.

Hey, Swiv3D: doesn't that look a little like the GliDOS logo
creeping in, in the background 😁

That sheared texture problem: I know one way to fix it, but I think Fabio probably knows a better way, so I'll leave it alone, unless Fabio gets busy and can't get around to it.

Reply 23 of 53, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey Paul,
I did not look at the sheared texture problem yet, as it were you that wrote that function ( I only optimize it a little ) you can fix that... 😀
What is the problem? as I am working now I will only be able to look at that later and if you fixed it I can optimize it... :p
Go on, modify and commit it, I am waiting.

Reply 24 of 53, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looking over the log posted I see that OpenGL is running in Software mode, very strange, I assume you are using the latest driver, right? 😀

CraigG wrote:
Ok, some more testing. […]
Show full quote

Ok, some more testing.

Outlaws - Replaced Lecglide with a version that uses Glide2x.dll
It now works, but there are missing graphics, see pic.

Need for Speed 2 SE - Glide2x.dll caused an error in OpenGL32.dll

F-16 Fighting Falcon - Now goes further than any other wrapper. You can now get to the title screen, but as soon as you launch a game the screen goes black and thats it. But it doesn't lock the PC, as you can still alt+tab and end task.
This is the openglide log from F-16

ColorBits = 8
DepthBits = 16
Using OpenGL version = 1
Using Palette Extension.
-------------------------------------------
Setting in Use:
Init Full Screen = true
Fog = true
Precision Fix = true
565 Wrap = false
MultiTexture = false
Palette Extension = true
Packed Pixels Extension = false
Vertex Array Extension = false
Secondary Color Extension = false
Fog Coord Extension = false
Texture Memory Size = 16 Mb
Frame Buffer Memory Size = 8 Mb
MMX is disabled
** OpenGL Information **
Vendor: Microsoft Corporation
Renderer: GDI Generic
Version: 1.1.0
Extensions: GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_paletted_texture
** Glide Calls **

Reply 25 of 53, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OpenGL is running in hardware mode, this is a log from Croc.
I'm using the 41.03 drivers for WinXP, and the 31.40 drivers for WinME.

** OpenGL Information **
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer: GeForce4 Ti 4600/AGP/3DNOW!
Version: 1.3.1
Extensions: GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_S3_s3tc GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_paletted_texture GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_shared_texture_palette GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_lod GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_EXT_vertex_weighting GL_HP_occlusion_test GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_KTX_buffer_region GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color GL_NV_evaluators GL_NV_fence GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint GL_NV_occlusion_query GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil GL_NV_point_sprite GL_NV_register_combiners GL_NV_register_combiners2 GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_compression_vtc GL_NV_texture_env_combine4 GL_NV_texture_rectangle GL_NV_texture_shader GL_NV_texture_shader2 GL_NV_texture_shader3 GL_NV_vertex_array_range GL_NV_vertex_array_range2 GL_NV_vertex_program GL_NV_vertex_program1_1 GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_multitexture GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SGIX_depth_texture GL_SGIX_shadow GL_WIN_swap_hint WGL_EXT_swap_control
** Glide Calls **

That earlier log may be the game exiting before it completes the log, maybe ?

I wish I could host my own pics, but i'm still working on my own webspace. But I'll keep them as small as possible.
Have a look at croc, notice the black squares around the diamonds

Attachments

• croc.jpg
    Filename
    croc.jpg
    File size
    24.5 KiB
    Views
    File license

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
2Gb RAM
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 26 of 53, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got a game Called Ski Racing, working. And it ran superbly.
If anyone wants a pic I'll post it, but I'll try and keep 'em tot he min.

Lasty, here's Ignition. Looking great, but running slow. Infact it runs at 12fps solid.

Lastly, Would there be any way of adding a resolution option, like GliDOS ?

Attachments

• ignition.jpg
    Filename
    ignition.jpg
    File size
    38.23 KiB
    Views
    File license

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
2Gb RAM
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 27 of 53, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GoldFinger wrote:
Hey Paul, I did not look at the sheared texture problem yet, as it were you that wrote that function ( I only optimize it a litt […]
Show full quote

Hey Paul,
I did not look at the sheared texture problem yet, as it were you that wrote that function ( I only optimize it a little ) you can fix that... 😀
What is the problem? as I am working now I will only be able to look at that later and if you fixed it I can optimize it... :p
Go on, modify and commit it, I am waiting.

Okay don it. I didn't do it the way I was going to originally; I did it the way I thought you would do it, which is better. 😁

I also made a little change to your speeded up alpha texture stuff to get back to A111, rather than AAAA, because it makes Redguard look better (the only user of alpha textures I know).

With all the good work you have put in, I thought it was release time, so v007b5 is on sourceforge ready for download.

Reply 28 of 53, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey Paul, you cant do the Alpha A111, it is wrong this way, the Alpha Textures in Glide do AAAA and not A111, they can look better but they are wrong. Myth stops working because of this, all textures are now Blank with Alpha.... 😀
As I cant do that now, can you please return it and do a new release?

thanks.... :p

Reply 29 of 53, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh sorry. Didn't know we had another game using alpha textures. This doesn't make much sense to me, but I'll put it back.

Ah I see: just between sentences, I've checked the Glide docs. Yes it is clearly specified as AAAA, not A111. Oops!.

Bugger, I'll have to bump the version again.

Reply 30 of 53, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay, that's put back. I haven't bumbed the version. I just reverted the change, moved the CVS tag on for that one file, and updated the release file. There's some small chance we will have more than one v007b5 out there, but I think we'll survive.

The sun in Redguard doesn't look right now. Sometime I'll have a look at the glide state at the time the textures is in use, and see if we are handling it right.

Reply 31 of 53, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CraigG wrote:

OpenGL is running in hardware mode, this is a log from Croc....I got a game Called Ski Racing, working. And it ran superbly. If anyone wants a pic I'll post it, but I'll try and keep 'em tot he min.

There's real improvement as I specifically remember testing OpenGlide with Croc earlier and only got nasty lock-ups. If you want, you might just start up a separate thread with a warning (IE: "Image Intensive", "BIG PICS", or such), then place a link to that thread here. This way modem users don't get a nasty surprise when they jump into a thread with a massive download time (something that the GLDuke guy would be wise to consider. 900+k JPEG on his main page. Geez!).

Reply 32 of 53, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nicht, I'm a modem user, and so I very much appreciate it when those of you that don't have the problem show appreciation of the problem. So thanks.

I will say though, I never find the pictures in this group a problem. They always seem to load fairly fast, and then they are in cache of course. If my experiences are typical, the pictures don't seem to be a problem... until we get somebody post a bmp of course 😀

Reply 33 of 53, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

and when I used a modem back in '98 (and those few times I'm at someone's how with a modem) I usually just disable pics in the IE options. I also modified the subject line of this thread to suggest pics inside.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 34 of 53, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Glidos wrote:

I'm a modem user,...

I know the perils of using a standard modem with the Internet.

While you can switch images off and on (more easily with Mozilla/Netscape than IE), it's still a tedious thing. Far too many pages out there are a complete, illegible mess unless you leave on images and java. That's why I use both IE and Mozilla. Mozilla for "business" and IE for all the pages don't like my "more-secure" Mozilla.

Reply 37 of 53, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, yeah, shut up. My ROUTER seems to have issues posting to this thread, for whatever reason. It's done it already twice, and this time I'm hardwired. BLAAGH.

How about the zBuffer, Croc, and Texture Shearing problems??

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 39 of 53, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great news Paul,
Craig, can you test those games again to see if it is really fixed?
I fixed some combine modes too, maybe it has fixed something other than Wizards Tower.
I will release a debug version of OpenGLide, can you test it on Croc? so I will see what kind of textures and combine modes it uses and I can fix that black squares.