VOGONS

First post, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all,
I changed some things on the sources like file names, header dependencies and things like that, I did some speedup in the code too, but nothing much.
I wanted to do some clean-up so we (us and new developers) have a more clean developing envinronment. I changed the sdk header files to sdk2_*.h so we know what are our files and what came from the sdk, I removed all that could be removed from the header files so I change in one header do not impact a full rebuild.
Well take a look yourselves.

Reply 1 of 13, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds good.

Only one thing: there's some changes of mine in glide.h that
allow it to be used to derive the dll entry point prototype, rather
than having to list them all again. The changes aren't lost, but it
means that sdk_3dfx.h isn't actually the one from the sdk. Having
said that, I can't see how it might cause a problem, unless we tried taking on a new set of sdk files from somewhere (and then we'd just need to remake the changes.

I haven't had a chance to look at why we are now getting black squares in Extreme Assault. Have you had a chance?

Reply 2 of 13, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hummm, I did not looked at Extreme Assault yet, that is quite strange, but I did some changes to some areas that maybe had an impact on blending. Can you post (or send to me) your OpenGLid.ini file, so I can see all extensions that are supported (I included some new extensions).
Well as of the sdk2_*.h files, if you feel that these are not appropriated, you can change them back, just make sure all the file names are in lower case, or else we will have problems building them for linux and it is better to have a standard.

Reply 3 of 13, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GoldFinger wrote:

Hummm, I did not looked at Extreme Assault yet, that is quite strange, but I did some changes to some areas that maybe had an impact on blending. Can you post (or send to me) your OpenGLid.ini file, so I can see all extensions that are supported (I included some new extensions).

I always delete the ini file when I change which version of OpenGLide I use in the Glidos folder, so that I get the default set up. So it will be the default for v008a3... or do you mean the log file, maybe?

I'm just about to do another set of tests with the latest version, so I should probably post after that.

Well as of the sdk2_*.h files, if you feel that these are not appropriated, you can change them back, just make sure all the file names are in lower case, or else we will have problems building them for linux and it is better to have a standard.

No, no: I like what you've done. The only thing I might do is commit the contents of the original 3dfx.h and then the changed one again, just to put the history in CVS on the new file. Otherwise we might forget that its changed from the original. I'm being very pedantic, though: it may not be worth the bother.

Reply 4 of 13, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hahaha, I mean the log file, yes... 😀
Well, I think I did the cvs changes in the hard way, I removed the old files and included the new ones, so if you want to do that comment in the 3dfx file, go ahead, I don't know what to do... 😜

Reply 6 of 13, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GoldFinger wrote:

hahaha, I mean the log file, yes... 😀

Ah okay I'll post it here

Well, I think I did the cvs changes in the hard way, I removed the old files and included the new ones, so if you want to do that comment in the 3dfx file, go ahead, I don't know what to do... 😜

What you did is right as far as I know. I think remove and add is the only way CVS can do rename. I was just thinking of adding some artificial history to the new file, so we don't forget about it. Its really of no importance.

Reply 8 of 13, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've now worked through all the games, and I've found only one problem in all the testing: that is the one in Extreme Assault that I mentioned before. So in all the optimisation you've been doing, I think that's the only bug introduced.

There's also a problem in Blood, but it is just a change from one incorrect behaviour to a difference incorrect behaviour, and I think the culprit may be Glidos rather than OpenGlide.

What notices more than anything is that a lot of games have become much smoother in operation. The optimisations have certainly worked. A particularly noticeable one is Descent II, which used to slow its fame rate whenever there was a text message on the screen. The effect is now minimal.

Reply 9 of 13, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey,
I think I have some great news regarding the clipping bug in the grClearBuffer, it is done in a more correct way now as most of the demos now work great even better than before, I wish you could test this new version on that game that uses the clipping, what was that? the one you did the modifications for... 😀
I am updating SourceForge right now.

Reply 11 of 13, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Who's Mr sneaky then? Who's gone and fixed the Extreme Assault bug and not told anybody? 😁 I don't know if it was intentional but the black squares are now back to flickering flames.

Also the clipping is fine. I can't see any problems in any games now, except its a bit too fast (my computer gets bored with not enough instructions to execute). 😁 The current version might make a good v009.

I suppose there is still the sun in Redguard. We still don't properly handle a texture bind used only for its alpha component. But we know a temporary hack for that.

Really nice piece of work Fabio.

Reply 12 of 13, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

😀 😀
I did not know I fixed Extreme Assault, nice, Well lets do a 008 then.... the previous one was the alpha one so now it will be the Official 008.
Almost all old 3dfx demos are now working, I need to fix Wizards Tower that has some texture bug and Flipper that is almost working ok (fog problems).