VOGONS

First post, by Ictoagh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Welp, Instead of posting to the new verison thread, I decied it was time I put this in it's own thread...

Per vlader's suggestion, I now have the keyboard color-coded. I have added in a "currently playing" partial count, as well as volume, pitch and modulation sliders.

Attachments

• panel-kbs2.jpg
    Filename
    panel-kbs2.jpg
    File size
    63.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 15, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Beeeeeeeootiful! 😜

Small additional suggestion: if several channels hit the same key, you may want to draw multiple bullets and space/arrange them out vertically (possibly with some overlap to save realestate) accordingly. Mere esthetics, but thought I'd write it down.

V.

Reply 2 of 15, by Ictoagh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I might vertically stretch the keyboard to accomodate that ... However, You can turn off/on the display of certain parts, so you can single things out if there is overlap..

Some things I've noticed, watching the pitch sliders:

You can tell in firehawk that they were using the actual pitch wheel on a keyboard. When they let go, you can see the momentum and damping caused by the spring.

I'm thinking about posting the code, soon, as well as the places (mostly in the playmsg routine) where you need to hook in. The only drawback is that I am using MFC for the dialog box, and it would be specific to the Windows platform, unless there's an easy way out there to make MFC-based code platform independant.

Reply 4 of 15, by Ictoagh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well,

I've been working on the dialogs for patch browsing and this is what I have so far ...

Yes, I'm sort of teasing a bit... 😉 when everything is done, I'll release all of this as a separate bit, for anyone who wants to integrate it into their copy, if cc decideds to integrate it, then .... excellent!.

This dialog is very much WIP and, so far, I have only put together the patch part completely, and finished the structure drawings for the timbres part. Though it's not apparent (because the tabs haven't been created) there are tabs for each of the partials, and tabs for each of the envelopes, Pitch, Filter and amplitude.

~Ict.

Attachments

• Filename
    panel-patch.jpg
    File size
    129.22 KiB
    Downloads
    287 downloads
    File license

Reply 5 of 15, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another idea: Vlad used to have a pic on his website, rooted down deep in an images folder, of a "pretty-pic" black-on-green LCD simulation he saw somewhere (some other website I think).

I'll vote for sprucing up the MT-32 message window... *ahem* 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 15, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This?

http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/pics/cool-lcd.gif

V.

Attachments

• cool-lcd.gif
    Filename
    cool-lcd.gif
    File size
    13.02 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    yeah, looks kind of cool
    File license

Reply 7 of 15, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ya, I'm a sneaky devil, worm into places you don't usually expect. Good job at finally closing those holes. 🤣

But yeah, something like that or more similar to the MT32 display would be cool. Eye candy plz...

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 15, by Ictoagh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I plan on doing something like that, eventually 😁 ... But, for the moment, I want to get the functionality down. I'm thinking about doing something skinnable (a-la winamp), I have lots of ideas on how to make this into really excellent eye candy! 😀

Reply 11 of 15, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah! Looks great! I've got a new version of the emulator I'll be posting today. I had tried to bring the Win32 driver up to speed by it seems to be suffering from a memory leak or something so its too unstable. The DosBox version runs great, however.

Speaking of LCD stuff, the following is a photo I snapped of the MT-32 LCD panel (Sorry for the size... felt I had to make use of my camera's resolution 🙄 ).

In reality the panel is about 2" across.

mt32lcd.png

Reply 12 of 15, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Brilliant.

Dean, have you tried those programming utilities that help you find memory leaks easily? I'm thinking Valgrind and suchlike (although, that wouldn't help the Windows port... unless you were running it under Wine too...)
*sounding stupid* 🙄

Stiletto

Reply 13 of 15, by Ictoagh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow! CC,

Just downloaded the latest version, and .... wow! sounds great, now 😉

A couple notes:

It seems in a few very small places there's still some off-keyness manifesting.

Still crashing under certain circumstances. (e.g. Play through Firehawk mission 6 music, it crashes at the end of the "boss" music. ) ... Why there's an access violation here still eludes me, I wound up patching it w/ a bandaid solution (try/catch block, I think in the sawtooth generation segment, that simply ignores the AV thrown, but I know this is not a very good solution...)

Other than that, it sounds excellent! Great work!

(Edit: I'm going to try to match the coloring of the MT32 display given in the photo above, when I work on putting together a skinnable interface.)

Reply 14 of 15, by Tristan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Updated the Linux ALSA version with the most recent changes, lots
of bug fixes and a few new features. You can get it from http://adam.rau.ac.za/~td/latest.php

I have been finding that some instruments(harpsichord, Sax 1, Tube bell) at maximum volume(127) clip, does this also happen with the Windows version
or is it something specific to the Linux port.

Thanks