VOGONS

Munt issue with Windows 10

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 82, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also note, in a 32-bit shell, it may seem that the 32-bit .dll resides in \Windows\System32 due to wow magic. To ensure this mess really happened, one should check it in a 64-bit shell or in \Windows\Sysnative.

Reply 61 of 82, by citrixscu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sergm wrote on 2020-06-21, 07:46:
citrixscu wrote on 2020-06-20, 19:51:

Not sure here, but it looks like infinstall_x64.exe may be installing the 32-bit driver to \Windows\System32 rather than the 64-bit one?

That'd be odd, but the installers (all sorts of them) do install a .dll in \Windows\System32. The thing is, the installer copies the 64-bit .dll in there, while the 32-bit .dll is copied to \Windows\SysWOW64. These two are easily distinguishable by size 😀

Odd, indeed. So, I don't know what was happening, but I rebooted the machine and the installer works as expected. For whatever reason it looked to be putting the 32 bit one in System32 due to the smaller file size.

Reply 62 of 82, by ShirBlackspots

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Those new drivers, the MIDI sound played through Munt appears to be better (I think?). It certainly sounds different. I played canyon.mid and necrofantasia.mid through it. A word of note: since Munt only has 8 channels, plus a rhythm channel, it seems that some notes are not being played through Munt when playing necrofantasia.mid

Reply 63 of 82, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The MT-32 has 9 channels. If your MIDI files are MT-32 compatible, they should sound the same on Munt as they do on MT-32.

MT-32/Munt are not compatible with GM/GS/XG.

Ryzen 2600X 4.2 GHz | Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB | DDR4 16 GB | Win10-64 Pro

Reply 64 of 82, by slx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dagar wrote on 2020-06-20, 20:02:
Extracted mt32emu_win32drv-1.5.1-win32-amd64.zip from: https://sourceforge.net/projects/munt/files/m … /2.3.0-Updates/ to a temp […]
Show full quote

Extracted mt32emu_win32drv-1.5.1-win32-amd64.zip
from: https://sourceforge.net/projects/munt/files/m … /2.3.0-Updates/
to a temp directory and then ran the following from a command prompt where I extracted the archive:

infinstall_x64 install -sign

Drivers updated to ..
Driver Date: 6/20/2020
Driver Version: 1.5.1.0

Rebooted and tested and everything seems to be working fine !

Thank you for your help! The MUNT works!

Reply 65 of 82, by teiresias

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dagar wrote on 2020-06-20, 20:02:
Extracted mt32emu_win32drv-1.5.1-win32-amd64.zip from: https://sourceforge.net/projects/munt/files/m … /2.3.0-Updates/ to a temp […]
Show full quote

Extracted mt32emu_win32drv-1.5.1-win32-amd64.zip
from: https://sourceforge.net/projects/munt/files/m … /2.3.0-Updates/
to a temp directory and then ran the following from a command prompt where I extracted the archive:

infinstall_x64 install -sign

Drivers updated to ..
Driver Date: 6/20/2020
Driver Version: 1.5.1.0

Rebooted and tested and everything seems to be working fine !

So I'm a newbie to the forum (been a lurker a long time though) and to all these backroom driver installs on modern Windows, so if I do the above after using the regular 2.3.0 installer, does this driver tie in with the existing GUI install properly? My biggest use-case for MUNT is Exult, but I've always switched between MUNT and MIDI soundfonts (via VirtualMIDISynth) using the Coolsoft MIDIMapper.

Reply 66 of 82, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"backroom"? 🤣
I think this method was sole back in 2004, and it's been an official way ever since...

Anyway, nothing to worry about: there can be only one working mt32emu MIDI driver instance in the system, and it must communicate properly with the GUI app (exactly in this direction). The latter is an independent component, it may work with or without the driver.

Reply 69 of 82, by slx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kaminari wrote on 2020-11-11, 15:01:

Just use drvsetup again to register the driver.

Thank you! It means I do not have to use the command prompt and write in the 'infinstall_x64 install -sign' command?! I only have to use the drvsetup.exe? Last time I use this command only.

Reply 71 of 82, by slx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kaminari wrote on 2020-11-12, 11:59:

I simply used the command "drvsetup.exe repair" to revalidate the driver in the registry.

Thanks! I tried your command but this didn't work for me.
I used the 'infinstall_x64 install -sign' command and after this the MUNT connects with the DOSBox.

Reply 72 of 82, by slx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
there is a problem with the munt emu again after the 21H2 Win10 update. I got this error message:

„Cannot install MT32Emu MIDI Driver
Error: 103”

How can I correct this error?

Reply 74 of 82, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, no idea what's wrong. Also, the error code looks strange, unlike all the other codes I've got from PnP manager before, so will have to research a bit.

In the meantime, clarification:

• this issue is about infinstall tool; it relies on the system PnP manager, hence God knows how it works;
  • the default (and still recommended) tool is drvsetup - it is much simpler and one can understand what it does - this thing is still working in 21H2, as far as I can tell.

Reply 75 of 82, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, my research is stuck. The error seems to be this one:

ERROR_NO_MORE_ITEMS
259 (0x103)
No more data is available.

But I'm not sure what data is meant. Yet I cannot reproduce it on a clean system after upgrade to 21H2.

Reply 76 of 82, by slx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your quick help!!!
First I used this: infinstall_x64 install -sign
(got error)
Then I used this: drvsetup.exe repair
(no error)
Then I used the first one (infinstall_x64 install -sign) again and
I got error again
but it works now... 😒
This is not MicroSoft... this is MysterySoft!!! 😒

Reply 77 of 82, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So much for the "proper" way of installing drivers. Perhaps, we could study the installer log and probably fix the system registry (I blame it due to lack of knowledge about the real cause), but suppose this is not fun.

Reply 79 of 82, by slx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sadly, the munt does not find the dosbox after I restart the PC! I have to do the same method every time!
My system is

Windows 10
Version: 21H2
OS Build: 19044.1415