VOGONS

First post, by davidhs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Does anybody know if the MT-32's PCM list is documented or not? If so, is there any info on where the document is?

Regards,

David

Reply 2 of 8, by davidhs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote on 2020-08-23, 17:45:
Here is some information that I'd compiled several years ago. The 128 waveforms in "Bank 1" pertain to the MT-32; the list for w […]
Show full quote

Here is some information that I'd compiled several years ago. The 128 waveforms in "Bank 1" pertain to the MT-32; the list for which was provided by Roland Japan.

CMWaves.jpg

Hi Cloudschatze!

Thanks for the spreadsheet. It really helps a lot!

Anyway, just for the sake of curiosity, do you have any information on where the list is compiled from which document?

Regards,

David

Reply 3 of 8, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
davidhs wrote on 2020-08-25, 17:57:

Anyway, just for the sake of curiosity, do you have any information on where the list is compiled from which document?

The information from Roland Japan was provided as a typed list in response to an e-mail inquiry I'd made back in 2005. I imagine it came from some internal documentation of theirs.

I didn't discover this until several years later, but Roland did provide an "official" source listing of the MT-32 waveforms in a supplemental manual that they published back in 1988:
Cover.jpg

Reply 4 of 8, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting. Until now I assumed that since the CM-32L was basically an MT-32 with additional built-in sound effects, the original MT-32 wouldn't have a lot of those.

Reply 5 of 8, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
digger wrote on 2020-08-26, 21:19:

Interesting. Until now I assumed that since the CM-32L was basically an MT-32 with additional built-in sound effects, the original MT-32 wouldn't have a lot of those.

Hope I'm not misunderstanding the comment, but just to clarify, the "Bank 2" waveforms in the spreadsheet do not apply to the MT-32.

Reply 6 of 8, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cloudschatze wrote on 2020-08-26, 21:26:
digger wrote on 2020-08-26, 21:19:

Hope I'm not misunderstanding the comment, but just to clarify, the "Bank 2" waveforms in the spreadsheet do not apply to the MT-32.

Ah, yes. I missed it at first, but now I see it. Timbres R31 through R64 are indeed labelled as being available only on the CM-32L, LAPC-1, etc.

Reply 7 of 8, by davidhs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote on 2020-08-26, 21:07:
The information from Roland Japan was provided as a typed list in response to an e-mail inquiry I'd made back in 2005. I imagine […]
Show full quote
davidhs wrote on 2020-08-25, 17:57:

The information from Roland Japan was provided as a typed list in response to an e-mail inquiry I'd made back in 2005. I imagine it came from some internal documentation of theirs.

I didn't discover this until several years later, but Roland did provide an "official" source listing of the MT-32 waveforms in a supplemental manual that they published back in 1988:
Cover.jpg

Amazing. That manual is really useful, it contains many information for using the MT-32. Thanks, Cloudschatze!

Hope the PDF will help someone on programming the MT-32.