VOGONS

First post, by allenkim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi?

it's another way to find MT-32
It's MTD-32.

*** New Board for D-110 , It can update PCM & TONE Flash Memory without ROM Writer via USB.
***Possible to share your LA32 PCM & TONE to friend
*** installed 2X bigger Flash for special space , simple change orignal D-110 , MT-32 and your Patch.

MT-32 is one of the most of rare item in the retro world, if you are crazy man for dos game and other retro games.
But MT-32 is very expensive and difficult to buy on the market.

How to give good expierence and remember your memories?

a few month ago , I thought It can be possible to make MT-32 sound on the Roland D-110 because it has the same Platform works with LA32 .
realized I've got big trust and Other guys already post big information about MT-32
it is a little bit difference btw MT-32 and D-110 , Only expand PCM Sample ROM , Tone Binary Space and correct connection between LA32 and PCM54HP.

first find correct map of PCM and TONE map , We can easily find good way with Munt MT-32 emulator's Open-source Code.
and it is required to find and analysis D-110 tone map and PCM data , built-up D110's map and after we can do implant
MT-32 tone param and PCM data into the D-110 with relocated address.

I did not spend big time to make D-110's map , attemp to find a bit of diamond in the 128Kbytes tone data.
half of ROM fill in ROM-Play data which is modified Midi format data with Rhythm parameters.
finally make all map for D-110 tone ROM parameters and relocated Tone parameter in side of D-110 Tone ROM.
D-110 has separated Mask ROM for TONE parameters and it required some hardware rework(rewiriring) to
replace EEPROM ( OE , CS , A16 ) and open the hole to inject MT-32's tone parameter safely.

we don't hang out outside thesedays , digging more and more in home...

Succeeded to port MT-32 sound into the D-110 with modified PCM and Tone.

compare MT-32 and D-110's SysExclusive Message , most of games transfer own tones at starting time.
firstly prevent this problem we have to convert some sysex messages at runtime.

easily figure out this problem with adding a small mcu board (like bluepill )to exchange sysex vlaues at the run-time.
;protect D-110 has high limit key parameter , in case of MT32 it is dummy data.

I've attated some pictures not include my modified D110 tone ROM binary , it has some legal issue to release it.

explain in side of MTD-32 :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYQ9bSqYwZE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3JpDP8Fgpc

Attachments

Last edited by allenkim on 2021-09-27, 00:53. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1 of 18, by allenkim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

make a plan to support CM32 sound effects ( 33 sound on the Drum Map ).
add small MCU board like arduino nano or bluepill in order to treat CM32 exclusive message.
It will be attached in side of D-110 box. It is enough space for sound effects pcm on PCM-B area because D-110 has double capacity PCM space.
ROM-A for MT32 orignal PCM ROM , and second ROM-B has modified PCM sample for Sound Effects and tone param will locate on remaind Rythm area.
we can see the new sound effects on the Rythm setup ( from E5 to C8 Key )

Someone In Korea sold unused Roland D-110 only for about 40$.

Reply 3 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi! Just noticed your thread/work!

Congratulations on a job well done! 😎👍

I'm surprised no one else has replied so far.
Your recording of Space Quest 3 sounds very well, I think!

Keep going! 🙂

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 18, by kdr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
allenkim wrote on 2021-03-27, 16:54:

first find correct map of PCM and TONE map , We can easily find good way with Munt MT-32 emulator's Open-source Code.
and it is required to find and analysis D-110 tone map and PCM data , built-up D110's map and after we can do implant
MT-32 tone param and PCM data into the D-110 with relocated address.

Neat!

I managed to pick up a (broken) Roland D-5 keyboard recently, and once I get it to work again I want to poke at it and see what it takes to use it as an MT-32 replacement. The D-5 is the "budget" version of the D-10 and the D-110 is the rackmount version of the D-10, so I'm hoping that the hardware will be similar enough.

Sounds like you are saying that the D-110 and the MT-32 are using different layout for the PCM sample ROM? Are all of the samples from the MT-32 also in the D-110 or are there some missing samples?

Reply 6 of 18, by ultramars

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kdr wrote on 2022-02-13, 04:25:

The D-5 is the "budget" version of the D-10 and the D-110 is the rackmount version of the D-10, so I'm hoping that the hardware will be similar enough.

D-5 has no effects (reverb...) while MT-32 has some

Reply 7 of 18, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds like you are saying that the D-110 and the MT-32 are using different layout for the PCM sample ROM? Are all of the samples from the MT-32 also in the D-110 or are there some missing samples?

This is correct. Essentially, the MT-32 is a cutdown version of the D-110. Sierra released patches for games up until and including KQ5 for the D-110, which remaps the PCM samples correctly and provides a couple other custom tweaks.

Reply 9 of 18, by stgiga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm wanting to turn my D10 (keyboard D110) into an MT32 that can be toggled between the MT32 and D10 patches. I'm also curious if one can make a GM ROM for MT32 and D10. The D10 of mine needs fixing (keys and capacitors) anyway, so why not make it better and able to be used for DOS gaming. Once this keyboard has MT32 support, it means that I will have a great DOS gaming synth setup because I also own a Roland SC-D70, which supports GM1+2, GS (up to 8850), and has an undocumented XG mode (Final Fantasy 7+8 are XG games) that I have proven to exist. So with two cheap (the previous owner got the D10 from goodwill for 79 dollars, and he literally gave me it because he didn't like the sound and because it needs repair, and I got my SC-D70 for 75 dollars excluding 35 dollar shipping) play audio from ALL DOS games with MIDI support. The D10 supports waveform cards that are also compatible with the CM64. There are Japanese PC games that use the card features of the CM64, so if it's implemented it means that I can even play THOSE games. And it means that GM remap sysex isn't limited to 64 patches. The other 64 can be on a custom card. Please let me know how this mod goes

I'm Nonbinary and neurodivergent.
I use they/them. It can also be written as ᵺ㏟.

Reply 10 of 18, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"MT32 that can be toggled between the MT32 and D10 patches"
The D-110 and MT-32 are the same thing, with different PCM order and MT-32 always hard resets when powered off/on. Do you mean MT-32 patches as in the default MT-32 patches, or any custom MT-32 sound set?

I don't believe you'll be able to do any of the mods you mention, BTW.

Reply 11 of 18, by bifo86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The D-10/110 supports memory cards, not PCM waveform cards. Those could be M-256 RAM cards or commercially available ROMs, they store patch settings for the existing internal sounds. The U-20/220/110 was the basis for the PCM part of the CM-32P/CM-64 and only that series can accept U-series waveform ROM cards. None of the D-series are compatible with the U-series or vice-versa, but the CM-32P is effectively a U-110 in a desktop box with the default MIDI channels set to 11-16 so that it could pair with the MT-32/CM-32L.

Reply 12 of 18, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm bumping this because I found myself in a similar situation after getting a very cheap Roland D-5.
While googling today, I stumbled upon this Roland-provided solution:
https://www.roland.com/us/support/by_product/ … c-a4097dfe1142/

It should work on any of the LA Synthesis devices, however, I tried it on my D5 and the synth would not receive the SysEx data, file transfer always ends in "Data Mismatch" error on the D5 side.

Has anyone successfully managed to do this?

Here's how you dump a SysEx patch onto your D-series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VszXtlq2yCc

Reply 13 of 18, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kikendo wrote on 2023-03-27, 15:54:
I'm bumping this because I found myself in a similar situation after getting a very cheap Roland D-5. While googling today, I st […]
Show full quote

I'm bumping this because I found myself in a similar situation after getting a very cheap Roland D-5.
While googling today, I stumbled upon this Roland-provided solution:
https://www.roland.com/us/support/by_product/ … c-a4097dfe1142/

It should work on any of the LA Synthesis devices, however, I tried it on my D5 and the synth would not receive the SysEx data, file transfer always ends in "Data Mismatch" error on the D5 side.

Has anyone successfully managed to do this?

Here's how you dump a SysEx patch onto your D-series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VszXtlq2yCc

From Google:
"One thing I noticed is that I often get a “Data mismatch” error when transferring sounds to the Roland D-5. The patches actually transfer just fine, but the names in some cases are messed up. I usually then create my own or open the sysex file and copy over the patch names. In some cases the panning and volume levels need to adjusted. Plus there are clicks or clipping noises in some of the patches. Likely the attack needs to be adjusted or something with the envelopes. I’m currently working on this.

Indeed all of these patches appear interchangeable but it may require some tweaking here and there."

I'm guessing you've already made sure the unit is set to transmit on Unit #17, and given it a factory reset etc.

Also, that link you provided is for changing your MT-32 to a General MIDI sound set, which is completely unrelated to this thread.. are you sure this is what you wanted?

Reply 15 of 18, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dnewhous wrote on 2023-06-25, 04:38:

This is good. Does anyone know what the rack unit equivalent of the D-20 keyboard was? It should be even better than the D-110.

Funnily enough.. the D-110. The D-10/20 are effectively the same machines with different patch sets.
The D-20 added an onboard sequencer and floppy drive.

https://soundprogramming.net/synthesizers/rol … nd/roland-d-20/

Reply 16 of 18, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Using my risperidone inspired memory - I think it was the D-214; I think I saw one once. I think there was a D21 keyboard.

The D-10/D-20/D-110 are fine. They are more than a simple 128 instrument bank like the LAPC-1. Being an upgrade from that, they're fine.

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 17 of 18, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Spikey wrote on 2023-06-13, 08:28:

Also, that link you provided is for changing your MT-32 to a General MIDI sound set, which is completely unrelated to this thread.. are you sure this is what you wanted?

The file description clearly says:
"This file is compatible with the Roland MT-32, D-5, D-10, D-110, D-20, CM-32L, CM-64, LAPC-1 and other MT-32 compatible devices."
There are files inside to use for each synth, not just the MT-32

Reply 18 of 18, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kikendo wrote on 2023-10-02, 03:35:
The file description clearly says: "This file is compatible with the Roland MT-32, D-5, D-10, D-110, D-20, CM-32L, CM-64, LAPC- […]
Show full quote
Spikey wrote on 2023-06-13, 08:28:

The file description clearly says:
"This file is compatible with the Roland MT-32, D-5, D-10, D-110, D-20, CM-32L, CM-64, LAPC-1 and other MT-32 compatible devices."
There are files inside to use for each synth, not just the MT-32

My point (I think, it's been a while) was that this thread was about putting MT-32 sound in the D-110.. not General MIDI sound with either.

As far as your D5 goes, are you using modern Windows or a vintage machine? I assume you still need help with the SysEx?