VOGONS

First post, by Dan_E6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been looking into various hardware and software synths recently and I thought I'd research what I can do with the MT-32 that is probably in a closet at my parent's house somewhere. I came across all this info on the MT-32 and all the cool synth sounds you can make when you venture past the Roland presets. Unfortunately I won't have access to my MT-32 for a couple of months so I haven't been able to try out any of the LA editors that are out there. In the meantime, a D-110 in good condition has popped up at a local music store for $50. So now I'm trying to figure out, if it's worth it to get the D-110 or to wait a few months until I can pick up my MT-32. What's attractive to me about the D-110 is the compatibility with the pg-10 programming module with all its nice faders for quick(?) adjustment of synth parameters. Do any of you know if the pg-10 is compatible with the MT-32? If not, do the Windows based editors allow real-time manipulation of sounds, that might even be useful in a live performance for example?
thanks,
Dan

Reply 2 of 3, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i hope to be able to test this very soon
i have a pg-10 on layway at a local shop im payin it down
and im getting an mt-100 shipped to me in the coming week 😀
so i will definately be testing the pg-10 with the mt-100

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 3 of 3, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bearing in mind the terminology differences, a PG-10 set to "D-110 mode" allows for editing of the Patch Temp., Timbre Temp., and System areas of an MT-32 or compatible, with some slight restrictions to the Pitch/TVF/TVA envelopes (which also apply to the D-110). Complete editing, inclusive of the Rhythm Setup and Patch Memory areas, yet requires the use of a decent MT/CM software editor. Notwithstanding, the PG-10 is nice for realtime TVF cutoff/resonance control and computer-free timbre tweaking, and just looks awesome when paired with an MT-32. 😀

Also, to necro my own initial reply, and since I'd acquired (and later sold) a PG-1000 during the intervening years, I can state that the limited SysEx compatibility the MT-32 shares with both it and the D-50/550 is also present in the CM-variants, despite a lack-of-mention in those respective manuals.