VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by wise.jo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.
Video and audio stuttering in fullscreen under manual config in Windows 10. In Windows 7 it works smoothly in the same computer...

My settings:

fullscreen=true
fullresolution=0x0
windowresolution=0x0
output=overlay
mapperfile=mapper.txt

However it works smoothly in Windows 10 in non-fullscreen mode, even if I change the window resolution to 1728x1080. I have 1080p (1920x1080) 60Hz monitor.

With default settings fullscreen resolution is 640x480 and the height/width ratio is not proportional - both in Windows 10 and 7.

My machine:
Intel Core i5-750 @ 2.67 (stock)
8GB RAM DDR3 1333Mhz Dual-Channel CL9
MSI GTX 750 Ti 2GB GDDR5
GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 Motherboard
Kingston A400 SSD 240GB

Can you help?

Thanks

Reply 2 of 7, by wise.jo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, it works smoothly. But... when using output=opengl the picture is 'a bit blurred' in fullscreen, while using output=overlay the picture is 'purely pixelated'.
I prefer it pixelated. Any way I can play this in Windows 10?
I'm using DOSBox 0.74-3 both in Windows 10 and Windows 7.
Can you reproduce the issue? [ output=overlay + fullscreen works smoothly in Windows 7, but video and audio stuttering in Windows 10 on the same computer ]

Reply 5 of 7, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had problems with DOSbox getting stuttery when running EVGA - Precision X or MSI afterburner I don't remember which one. I think it had something to do with limiting the framerate using that software...don't know if that has anything to do with your issue though...

Reply 6 of 7, by wise.jo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't think it's my case. I only use the NVIDIA drivers (latest version and default settings).
I have another problem with Windows 10. I use Firefox (latest version) and I get frame drops playing YouTube videos at 1440p60 and 2160p (VP9 codec) . Disabling WebRender didn't help. With Windows 7 I can play the same videos smoothly (same Firefox version). VLC media player can play them smoothly, no matter if I use Windows 7 or 10.

Reply 7 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wise.jo wrote on 2020-01-17, 14:58:

Thanks! It works.
I wonder what's caused this issue. Maybe a problem with Windows 10 scaling?

Well GDI and ddraw are deprecated so likely some combination of DWM, WDDM, updated drivers....more likely the updated drivers aren't tested sufficiently with gdi and ddraw anymore. This is something that needs to be brought up more with driver manufacturers but they couldn't care less so wrapper solutions are likely our best bet for those programs that can't be recompiled.

You can try the same video driver from Windows 7 and see if that makes a difference. If it does then submit a bug report to Nvidia and or the firefox team.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline