VOGONS

Common searches

choppy screen

Topic actions

First post, by WiseMan

User metadata

every time i play a dos game on dosbox i get a glitchy or choppy screen when ever the screen moves. i changed the framerate and cpu usage and the games work fine but it looks like the vsync is off. is there any way i can turn it on or make the games work more smoothly?

Reply 3 of 20, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does it happen with every game? Maybe the game itself didn't have good scrolling. I have seen just a few "smooth scrolling" games on PC, Turrican 2 comes to mind.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 20, by WiseMan

User metadata

i just found out that even playing the game without using DOSbox it still has a choppy screen. i think it is windows xp that is the problem. years ago when i had windows 95 and 98 the DOS games worked fine without any glitchyness.
the DOS games i am trying right now are: day of the tentacle ( very choppy movement ) and quest for glory 1, 2, 3, and 4 ( some glitchyness ).
maybe a future version of DOSbox can fix this problem?

Reply 5 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NTVDM (Windows XP) chews up alot of cycles and DosBox is very intensive so that could be what the problem is.

What's your processor usage like while playing the game and what version of DosBox are you using?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Read this thread: Graphics performance boost

Surf to the last page and download the version of dosbox attached there.

This version of dosbox has drastically improved scalers which means that video drawing (the biggest processor usage of dosbox) is drastically reduced.

Report back if it works since this will provide even more incentive for the devs to include the patch into official cvs.....

Reply 8 of 20, by WiseMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i downloaded dosbox_kronuz-20051203b.zip and i extracted it to my dosbox folder. it gives me this error "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect." can you give me the link to the download that you are trying to show me please?

Reply 11 of 20, by WiseMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok i downloaded dosbox_kronuz-20051130 and extracted dosbox_mode1 and 2 and SDL.dll to my dosbox directory. i tried both of the modes and its exactly the same thing as the original dosbox. no smooth movement at all. then i downloaded dosbox-optscalers-20051203b.diff. what do i do with this file?

Reply 12 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't bother with .diff files. That .diff is already incorporated into the build (it's only for programmers).

Might want to try gulikoza's build and see what that does for you.

I'm surprised that this latest build didn't do anything for you....so I guess it's not a processor utilization problem....

You wouldn't happen to have a DOS machine handy would you?

Reply 14 of 20, by neowolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Out of curiosity how high IS your frameskip? You mentioned adjusting it and the cycles for full speed. With a framskip you will have a choppier image, the higher the frameskip the worse. Also - try the improved scalers build without frameskips if that's the case. It shouldn't need them.

Reply 15 of 20, by WiseMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

my frameskip is 0. i tried gulikoza's and ykhwong's version od DOSbox but no luck.
maybe i'm supposed to change an option in the config file. can you link me to the improved scalers build download?

Reply 16 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you used the latest ver of ykhwong's then you are using the improved scalers build (he integrated it into his build).

Unless you can try the game out on a DOS machine then your either a) going to have to live with the choppiness b) give up.

You know we've gone through all of these posts without even mentioning the name of the game....or is it every game that your having problems with?

Reply 19 of 20, by WiseMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i mentioned the names of the games in post #5. the choppyness happens with all DOS games. my processor is a pentium 4, 2.4 ghz, 256 DDR2 RAM and a geforce 4, ti, 128mb, 4x.
in ykhwong's version, what do i change in the config file to
make the games more smooth? ( by the way, are DOS games on DOSbox working smoothly for all of u guys? )