VOGONS

Common searches

overclocking

Topic actions

First post, by french_whore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I try to press ctrl+F12 repeatedly, but I see no change in CPU usage. It stays under 10% regardless of how many times or how frequently I press ctrl+F12. I have a really fast computer, that might be the problem.

Reply 1 of 11, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you're just at the prompt with nothing running, it will have no effect. I mean, it'll increase the cycles, but there's no CPU emulation going on, so it doesn't actually use them. Try while running a game. Different games have different optimum cycles btw, for max speed. You want to aim for about 85-90% real CPU usage.

Reply 3 of 11, by french_whore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you're just at the prompt with nothing running, it will have no effect. I mean, it'll increase the cycles, but there's no CPU emulation going on, so it doesn't actually use them. Try while running a game. Different games have different optimum cycles btw, for max speed. You want to aim for about 85-90% real CPU usage.

Ok, I guess that sorta helped, but not entirely. My CPU usage is holding at about 40% when in-game. The problem is, it's still not increasing when I press ctrl+F12.

Reply 5 of 11, by french_whore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep, that's the case. Does this mean my CPU usage is really approx 80%? That doesn't seem right, because Descent is running pretty slow, and it shouldn't be having problems on a 3GHz, 256mb vid computer (should it?)

Reply 6 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you have hyperthreading enabled, DOSBox will only ever be able to take advantage of half of your CPU power. Hyperthreading isn't all that useful on a gaming machine - it's more useful for servers and such.

Reply 8 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Isn't there a way to turn off hyperthreading, perhaps in the BIOS? Hyperthreading gives some slight boost for multitasking, but acually gives reduced perfomance in most other areas.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 10 of 11, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hyperthreading won't give lower performance. Since the number of on-CPU arithmetic units is the same as with a normal single-core, non-HT CPU, you will at worst get a performance similar to a non-HT CPU. The only real difference is that Windows reports two CPUs while you actually have just one, which is why a single-threading program can only ever use 50% of the (theoretical) maximum. Nevertheless, a program running at 50% is using all of the available CPU.

3GHz is just enough for Descent. You need to edit dosbox.conf for optimum performance, see the countless descriptions in this forum, the README and elsewhere.