VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by NEWK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have made an interesting discovery. Apparently, old versions of Windows such as Windows 3.0 or 3.1 run just fine inside DOSBox! I have set up windows 3.0 and Windows 3.1 in it and they both run just fine. I plan to upload the full installations of these to my website someday, but I could sooner if anyone would like to see them. So does anyone want to see them?

May the Force be with you!

Reply 1 of 9, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Nice discovery with just one minor problem - most of other people already know it. 😀
There are even some images on DOSBOX web site and many, many messages concerning Windows in DOSBOX on vogons...
Windows 3.x run in DOSBOX (just do not use W3.11 with dynamic core - this will not work).

Mirek

Reply 2 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

there is even a guide on how to set it up 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Inner Space, a Shareware program from http://www.sdispace.com/
Fortunately I bought it ages ago, since nowadays the website exists, but you can't actually order or contact ANYONE there 🙁

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 9, by cmw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well basically, it does work even with Dynamic Core, as long as you don't need Keyboard Support.

This basically enables you to Play Solitarie while listening to MP3 (with some 16bit-win-mp3 player, there are a few). You could consider it a stress test for your machine because the mp3 stuff takes insane amount of your real cpu's power, so if you can play Solitarie without delay, you got a quite decent machine 😉

But I noticed an other issue: No matter if either Win 3.11 is run in Core or any other mode, Shutting it down ("go back to dos") will crash Dosbox (very weird illegal write stuff in console), but it will still quit on strg-f9.

Any suggestions? =)

Reply 8 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

with the cvs version?
I don't get that problem here. Once out in 30 shutdowns pehaps.

Reply 9 of 9, by adventur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for the update, I don't feel like fiddling around to make games work in windows 3.x, at least not until more options are available, I remember how tricky windows was to configure .... installing drivers 1 time out of 3 wouldn't work, it would then lead you to quite a surprise upon rebooting 😵 making games work with full audio/video features was also quite tricky at times