VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 1060 of 1968, by R33D3M33R

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello rcblanke, I just discovered this great cross platform Dosbox frontend recently. First of all, I would like to thank you for your work, the application is great.

I have attached Slovenian translation for the application. The translation is 100% and converted (please check if it's really ok). I was able to verify most of the messages in GUI.

I have some suggestions for the application. Maybe they were already made, but since the thread is so gigantic, I just didn't have the time to check:

1. Include translations in the release, but with removed .utf8 files (if the program doesn't need them). 200 kB is nothing by todays standards, but the users will sure be grateful for a GUI in their language without the need to install anything. The pack with both types of files can still be available for D/L from the website.

2. There seems to be no way to select a custom thumbnail image for the tiles unless you copy existing screenshots in the game screenshot folder.

3. Different thumbnails sizes available are great, but I surely wish you could make a slider which could dynamically adjust size of thumbnails. The slider values don't need to be continuous, just go from the smallest size available now, to the size which fills two rows.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Filename
    plugins_dbgl.zip
    File size
    30.1 KiB
    Downloads
    145 downloads
    File comment
    Slovenian Language files for DBGL
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1061 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi R33D3M33R,

Thanks for your translation, I'll certainly add it in an upcoming build! To answer your questions/suggestions:

1) That is exactly what I'm doing;
2) Correct; if you want to have your own custom thumbnail you'll simply have to copy it into the captures folder for the profile, manually (and take into account the alphabetical order of the filenames if there are other files in there)
3) Thanks for the suggestion, I'll see what can be done

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 1062 of 1968, by R33D3M33R

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote:

1) That is exactly what I'm doing;

You are right, my mistake. Translations are indeed included in the .jar file. I got confused when I clicked on the translation page and saw separate archives, sorry about that 😊.

Reply 1063 of 1968, by isamu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. Can anyone tell me how to use this program? I'm COMPLETE n00b to all things DOSBox and was recommended to get a frontend to make things easier, so I grabbed DBGL. I have followed the instructions and launched the frontend, but how do I launch my games? My games are all in .zip format. Is there a step by step guide somewhere? Where is the button to simply point to a folder with the games, click on the game and launch it?

Please help I totally confused 🙁

Reply 1064 of 1968, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
isamu wrote:

Hello. Can anyone tell me how to use this program? I'm COMPLETE n00b to all things DOSBox and was recommended to get a frontend to make things easier, so I grabbed DBGL. I have followed the instructions and launched the frontend, but how do I launch my games? My games are all in .zip format. Is there a step by step guide somewhere? Where is the button to simply point to a folder with the games, click on the game and launch it?

1. Click the "Add Profile" button (i.e. leftmost icon)
2. Provide a name or other info
3. Click the "Mounting" tab
4. Click "Add"
5. Select "Mount Zip" select your zip and specify a location files should be writen to (i.e. DOSBox will preserve the original zip through changes)
6. With the mount highlighted click the "Grab" button under "DOS \ Main" (looks like an arrow)
7. Select the executable to run
8. Click OK

You should now have a game listed in the launcher list, clicking it should start DOSBox and launch the game. Obviously there are many options to piddle with from that point.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 1065 of 1968, by serrith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone and especially to the creator of the DBGL frontend 😀

I have been using dos and dos games since my childhood and there is something soothing in seeing the dos prompt and typing all the old commands again.
However, since the use of dosbox requires us to "configure" each game apart (it seems impossible to just make a single dosbox that emulates a certain computer build for all games since some games react to the dosbox in a different way than others ...) the use of DBGL really made it all more "plug and play".

I do have one request. I am using a real mt-32 and a sound canvas SC-8850, i try to remember each time which game uses midi and what game uses the mt32. is it possible to add a sort of "categories" in ?

Let's say i want a group named MT32 with all my mt32 games in it (i have to manually switch between connecting the MT32 or the sound canvas), or a group named RPG with all my RPG's in it. Just a way to access certain types of games easier without having to sift through tons of games.

Again, thanks for the great program !

Reply 1066 of 1968, by serrith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Argh never mind, i just figured out i can use the "custom" fields when configuring a profile in DBGL and then create a filter based on the text of one of the custom fields !

Great 😁 and stupid of me 🤣.

Thanks again !!!!!

Reply 1067 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@kolano, isamu: Please realize that zip mounting is only supported in specific DOSBox builds, such as the one from YKHWong. Otherwise, you would have to extract the contents of the game zips to a location of your liking (preferably somewhere in the dosroot folder), first.

@serrith: Thanks for using DBGL! Are you familiar with the filters? Use ctrl-f to bring up the filtering dialog which should allow you to create any type of filtering of your profiles list on the profile meta-data. You can select the filter that you want to use by selecting the appropriate tab (this picture shows some example filters such as 'Booters', 'Favorites' etc.). And remember that it is possible to multi-select items in the profiles list, which can be very useful to edit all sorts of meta-data in one go. Also, selecting multiple profiles before pressing ctrl-f allows for creating a filter for the selected profiles. EDIT: ah, have fun!

Reply 1068 of 1968, by isamu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolano wrote:
1. Click the "Add Profile" button (i.e. leftmost icon) 2. Provide a name or other info 3. Click the "Mounting" tab 4. Click "Add […]
Show full quote
isamu wrote:

1. Click the "Add Profile" button (i.e. leftmost icon)
2. Provide a name or other info
3. Click the "Mounting" tab
4. Click "Add"
5. Select "Mount Zip" select your zip and specify a location files should be writen to (i.e. DOSBox will preserve the original zip through changes)
6. With the mount highlighted click the "Grab" button under "DOS \ Main" (looks like an arrow)
7. Select the executable to run
8. Click OK

You should now have a game listed in the launcher list, clicking it should start DOSBox and launch the game. Obviously there are many options to piddle with from that point.

rcblanke wrote:

@kolano, isamu: Please realize that zip mounting is only supported in specific DOSBox builds, such as the one from YKHWong. Otherwise, you would have to extract the contents of the game zips to a location of your liking (preferably somewhere in the dosroot folder), first.

Thanks guys. I've decided to simply unzip my files. Seems to be working now, but man, some games simply don't want to play nice with DosBox. I've experienced crashes and errors.

I was wondering, is there one giant archive of configuration files that I can download off the net, that I can import into DBGL? You know....so that I can simply run most games without having to manually configure each one?

Reply 1069 of 1968, by code120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
isamu wrote:

I was wondering, is there one giant archive of configuration files that I can download off the net, that I can import into DBGL? You know....so that I can simply run most games without having to manually configure each one?

You should make a template and then use it as default, so that you won't need to configure all games from scratch. In the template use settings that are good for 90% of games. I use generally something like:

output ddraw, frameskip 0, no scaling
20000 cycles (I change it to 10000 if the game is old), dynamic core, 16 MB RAM, XMS, EMS, UMB true
audio: 2048 block size, 240 prebuffer (helps with sound stutter sometimes)
joystick none (if you don't use it)

Then you can check the DOSBox compatibility page, there you can also find solution to common problems, or you can search in this forum.

Reply 1070 of 1968, by isamu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
code120 wrote:
You should make a template and then use it as default, so that you won't need to configure all games from scratch. In the templa […]
Show full quote
isamu wrote:

You should make a template and then use it as default, so that you won't need to configure all games from scratch. In the template use settings that are good for 90% of games. I use generally something like:

output ddraw, frameskip 0, no scaling
20000 cycles (I change it to 10000 if the game is old), dynamic core, 16 MB RAM, XMS, EMS, UMB true
audio: 2048 block size, 240 prebuffer (helps with sound stutter sometimes)
joystick none (if you don't use it)

Then you can check the DOSBox compatibility page, there you can also find solution to common problems, or you can search in this forum.

Thank you code, will certainly do that.

Reply 1074 of 1968, by KThompson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello people,

I am a complete noob and I really need some help. I have discovered DOSBox Game Launcher after stumbling upon a website that offered an old game from my childhood as a zip file, to be used with DBGL. I installed everything, it worked perfectly, so far so good. Now I am at a point where I need to type a "/" ingame... Well, it doesnt work. I have a european macbook pro from 2012 and usually its "Shift-7" for a /. Then I changed the language of my keyboard to US and UK, both didnt work either. I suppose I need to change something somewhere in the file of the game, but I have no idea where. I found the "keyboardlayout"- list in "dynamic options" under "settings", but I dont really know what to do.

Can anybody help me? Thanks for your time.

Reply 1076 of 1968, by KThompson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Neville wrote:

Pulse CTRL+F1 and a keyboard mapper will appear. There you may map the \ sign to somewhere more accesible.

And read DOSBox' documentation!

The issue is, that on MAC the F1 is the screen-lighting. And where exactly am I suppose to press CTRL+F1? Ingame? or on the DBGL main Menu? Im not really using DOSBOX at all... Ive read all I could to solve this but I cant find any config files either. I downloaded DOSBox later to see if it would change anything but I ran DosBox Game launcher seperately...

Reply 1077 of 1968, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KThompson wrote:

The issue is, that on MAC the F1 is the screen-lighting. And where exactly am I suppose to press CTRL+F1? Ingame?

Press Fn+CTRL+F1 to reach the keymapper. But, by design, it works in fullscreen only (to get fullscreen, press Alt-Enter).
Indosbox, not ingame. 😀

Klimawandel.

Reply 1078 of 1968, by KThompson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IIGS_User wrote:
KThompson wrote:

The issue is, that on MAC the F1 is the screen-lighting. And where exactly am I suppose to press CTRL+F1? Ingame?

Press Fn+CTRL+F1 to reach the keymapper. But, by design, it works in fullscreen only (to get fullscreen, press Alt-Enter).
Indosbox, not ingame. 😀

Well you say in dosbox, but that doesnt do anything. So i launched the game, pressed alt+enter and the sreen goes black for a second then the game crashes... I tried to "activate" fullscreen in the settings but the game still crashes when launched...

just to let you know, I am using the DBGL from this website: http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/

Reply 1079 of 1968, by KThompson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mazbe there are setings I need to change in order to start the game in fullscreen. Right now it crashes but mazbe there is a resolution option i need to change or something?

EDIT: I finally managed to change the resolution and open mapper. I added / to the kez for Nr2. Well It still wouldnt work. I think there is a problem with the file recognizing slash. It doesnt write backslash either...