Common searches

DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 1520 of 1968, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Epsilon wrote on 2020-05-21, 00:32:
I'm having some strange issues with DBGL on Linux, using java 8 (openjdk). First of all, I upgraded from, I think 0.84, or 85 to […]
Show full quote

I'm having some strange issues with DBGL on Linux, using java 8 (openjdk). First of all, I upgraded from, I think 0.84, or 85 to 0.91. But DBGL cannot find any of the data now. It looks for a path that looks like /profiles\profilename and /captures\capturename, instead of /profiles/profilename and /captures/capturename. So none of the profiles work and none of the pictures or screenshots get loaded.
I figured maybe something went wrong so I made a brand new instance to compare. I installed just one game, I tried fetching screenshots and boxart from mobygames, but they don't download properly; pictures become all garbled ie almost completely indistinguishable from the original. But atleast I could setup a game and launch it and it would find the correct path, similarly the correct path to downloaded data from mobygames, eventhough it was completely broken.
Then I tried DBGL 0.91 on Windows 10 VM with the same openjdk version, first of all it loaded all the profiles and captures properly, then I tried fetching screenshots and that too worked as intended. I tried migrating all the profiles on this version and moving them back on Linux, but nothing changed.
Do you have any idea what could be the cause of this?

I think you have run into the same image corruption issue I did a while back. It has been fixed, try the latest beta build.
https://www.squadrablu.nl/dbgl/beta/dbgl092beta6.zip

Reply 1521 of 1968, by Epsilon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
_Rob wrote on 2020-05-21, 08:43:
I'm having some strange issues with DBGL on Linux, using java 8 (openjdk). First of all, I upgraded from, I think 0.84, or 85 to […]
Show full quote

I'm having some strange issues with DBGL on Linux, using java 8 (openjdk). First of all, I upgraded from, I think 0.84, or 85 to 0.91. But DBGL cannot find any of the data now. It looks for a path that looks like /profiles\profilename and /captures\capturename, instead of /profiles/profilename and /captures/capturename. So none of the profiles work and none of the pictures or screenshots get loaded.
I figured maybe something went wrong so I made a brand new instance to compare. I installed just one game, I tried fetching screenshots and boxart from mobygames, but they don't download properly; pictures become all garbled ie almost completely indistinguishable from the original. But atleast I could setup a game and launch it and it would find the correct path, similarly the correct path to downloaded data from mobygames, eventhough it was completely broken.
Then I tried DBGL 0.91 on Windows 10 VM with the same openjdk version, first of all it loaded all the profiles and captures properly, then I tried fetching screenshots and that too worked as intended. I tried migrating all the profiles on this version and moving them back on Linux, but nothing changed.
Do you have any idea what could be the cause of this?

I think you have run into the same image corruption issue I did a while back. It has been fixed, try the latest beta build.
https://www.squadrablu.nl/dbgl/beta/dbgl092beta6.zip

Yeah that fixes the image problem. But not the strange paths.

Reply 1522 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Epsilon, can you please try this new build to see if it solves the paths issue you're having? I'm not sure how these paths could have got mixed up as they did, but resolving the problem should not be too complicated.

Neville wrote on 2020-04-30, 17:34:

The new screenshot viewer looks very big in my computer, I don't know if this is intended...

I've now limited the scaling to 300% by default, but if you want to make it smaller, you can configure it in settings.conf, [gui] screenshotsmaxzoompercentage.

Neville wrote on 2020-04-30, 17:34:

Are there any new strings I should translate?

Yes, but more new stuff is in the works, I'll let you know when you can start with the translation:

scandir.png
Filename
scandir.png
File size
156.23 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

All the latest files To upgrade, get dbgl.jar as usual.

Ronald

Reply 1523 of 1968, by ANGO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote:

I've now limited the scaling to 300% by default, but if you want to make it smaller, you can configure it in settings.conf, [gui] screenshotsmaxzoompercentage.

Limiting the screenshot window size as a percentage works well for small images (like 320x240).If the images are larger (e.g. 800x600) the screenshot window is again very large.
In my opinion its better to specify a fixed maximum window size. For example 960x540, 1024x768, 1280x720 ...

Reply 1524 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I guess another factor is DPI -- on my 13" 4k laptop I kinda like the screenshot window to be large 😀

Anyway, I've added screenshotsmaxwidth and screenshotsmaxheight (defaulting to 1024x768) which you can tweak to your liking. Please let me know if this works for you.

Also fixed a bug in the .gif image decoder, in some cases gif images could not be loaded correctly when querying MobyGames (for example: Sea Dragon, Moon Bugs, PC-Man) (GT)

All the latest files To upgrade, get dbgl.jar as usual.

Ronald

Reply 1525 of 1968, by Epsilon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote on 2020-05-25, 20:23:

Epsilon, can you please try this new build to see if it solves the paths issue you're having? I'm not sure how these paths could have got mixed up as they did, but resolving the problem should not be too complicated.

I've installed dbgl092b7 and it works perfectly 😀 Paths are correct as well as image fetching. Thanks! - But I have observed strange behaviour when getting data from mobygames and theres an abnormally huge amount of pictures such as with X-Com: Ufo Defense, swt will hang.

Reply 1527 of 1968, by rotaxt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi rc!

i absolutely love dbgl und use it for a couple of years now together with the old dosbox daum and the combo still just works. for me important are more or less only two things - the support of shaders & soundfonts (or mt32). both are working fine. however, daum is quite outdated meanwhile and the real, modern (crt-)shader-magic happens within retroarch, whenever i play the old 8bit & 16bit-systems with that tool there are really great shaders to use. i know shaders are a matter of personal taste but i do not want miss these anymore 😉. my hope was that one day there will be a new dosbox-fork which will support these shaders and of course secondly that this fork will work with your dbgl.

well, as far as i can see there two new options right now:

https://dosbox-staging.github.io/
https://github.com/MartyShepard/DOSBox-Optionals

as far as i understand these versions support glsl-shader so that i can just copy the above mentioned shaders out of retroarch into the dosbox-folder and use them.
of course i am going to test both forks with dbgl - but i am no programmer and in case that i will run into any issues - from your experience: does dbgl generally support all
kinds of dosbox-forks?

do i need to adjust something? both mentioned forks support the usual stuff with shaders & sound, so in my world i copy the dosbox-folder into dbgl and set this fork as my default dosbox.
after that i would copy the glsl-shaders also in their correct folder, select opengl inside of dbgl and also my preferred shader.

is there anything else which i need to do?

thank you and best regards

Reply 1528 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Rotaxt,

Did you know that the OpenGL shader patch by ny00123 & jmarsh was recently accepted into SVN trunk? That feature can already be used in the latest DBGL builds (see this thread, two pages back). I've only tested DOSBox ECE with a few shaders and it seems to work.

>>does dbgl generally support all kinds of dosbox-forks

Not 'generally', no. But if a feature is available in a fork that seems useful, I will consider adding it to the DBGL interface as an 'experimental' setting.

Reply 1529 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's another update with a rather big change - I've decided to update DBGL's database library (HSQLDB) from 1.8.1 to 2.5.0 to prepare for the upcoming 'scan directory for known games'-feature. This means that I *strongly* recommend you make a backup of the existing files in your DBGL/db folder prior to updating, as these database files will be altered by the new hsqldb library, which is an irreversible action.

Also, MobyGames has recently chosen to remove a game's MobyRank from the Rap Sheet Summary and make it available only on the 'reviews' tab. DBGL will now properly get the game's MobyRank off this page (GT).

To update, replace dbgl.jar, db/mobygames.*, lib/hsqldb.jar. Also, remove any existing lib/gallery*.jar and replace it with the new lib/gallery-2.3.0.jar (finally fixing https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=416476 woohoo).

Please let me know if you spot any problems after the update!

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 1530 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And here is beta build no 11 with a first implementation of 'directory scanning for known games'. Currently, all files/games from the D-Fend Reloaded 'Auto setup templates' are recognized.

You can access it using 'Profiles'->'Import known games in folder' and selecting the directory to scan. After a while, it should show a dialog with the results, like so:

scan1.png
Filename
scan1.png
File size
135.47 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Simply select the entries that you want to import into the existing profiles list. Using the buttons at the bottom allow you to filter the selection.

Proceeding the wizard will allow you to select default DOSBox configuration settings (like machine, cycles etc) and optionally check the DBConfWS online database for game-specific configuration (when available).

If you want to check it out, not only take the latest dbgl.jar, but also update your existing db/moygames.* files.

Next, I'll try to add more detectable games into the database...

Ronald

Reply 1532 of 1968, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Feature request...

Can we have DBGL support for the overlay function that is provided by DOSBox SVN, DOSBox Staging and soon DOSBox-X?

e.g.
MOUNT C C:\REAL
MOUNT C C:\BACKUP -T OVERLAY

REAL will be mounted as Drive C:, but then apply overlay data from BACKUP

This will be great, especially for Win 3.x games where you can have a "base" windows directory, and then have different overlay directories with different games with potentially conflicting settings like colour depth or resolution without having to maintain multiple win3.x installations, and simultaneously prevent windows bit-rot.

Reply 1533 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

I've just uploaded beta12 with a couple of bugfixes for the new 'Scan directory for known games' feature, most importantly for Linux users. Also implemented is sorting of the results table by clicking on the column headers and inspection of the 'Detection score' when hovering over a score.

_Rob wrote on 2020-06-11, 07:07:

Can we have DBGL support for the overlay function that is provided by DOSBox SVN, DOSBox Staging and soon DOSBox-X?

Cool feature, but not in the upcoming DBGL release, maybe in the next one. This might be rather tricky to implement.

EDIT: for the translators - lines 12, 221, 420, 831, 855-880, 901 and 912-913 have been added, and line 203 has been updated.

Ronald

Reply 1534 of 1968, by AlfreX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone! I am new here, first of all I wanted to thank you for this great front end and all your effort!

I'd like to ask two questions. (sorry for my english)

First, would it be possible to add an option to change the background color of the screen or to put an image? (the white one hurts my eyes)

and second, I couldn't import the game profiles from version 91 to this one. And when I add a game profile in this beta 12, MobyGames doesn't download the cover or screenshots.

Thank you very much and congratulations to all for this community! Thanks to all your work I've been able to remember my childhood. Greetings from Argentina.

Reply 1535 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlfreX wrote on 2020-06-17, 01:26:

First, would it be possible to add an option to change the background color of the screen or to put an image? (the white one hurts my eyes)

The SWT gui engine supports application theming on MacOS and Linux, but not yet on Windows. It is being worked on, but there is not much I can do myself at this moment.

I couldn't import the game profiles from version 91 to this one.

Oh? What did you do exactly, and where did the process fail? Do you get an error message?

And when I add a game profile in this beta 12, MobyGames doesn't download the cover or screenshots.

Make sure you have this enabled in the 'Settings' dialog (File -> Preferences -> Web Information Archives tab -> tick Choose cover art + Choose screenshots)

Reply 1537 of 1968, by AlfreX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the quick response!
You were right, I was able to activate the image download.
Maybe it's a silly question, but could someone explain to me the easiest way to pass on my old profile collection from the 91st version to this new 92 beta 12 version?
thank you in advance!

Reply 1538 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlfreX wrote on 2020-06-17, 22:25:

...could someone explain to me the easiest way to pass on my old profile collection from the 91st version to this new 92 beta 12 version?

Sure. Please be aware, though, that I will release a new non-beta on the main website, soon. Most often you can simply update an existing DBGL installation by overwriting dbgl.jar with the new version. In this case, however, the update is a bit more involved:

1. Download the latest zip
  2. Overwrite dbgl.jar
  3. Remove all existing files in the /lib folder, and replace them with the ones from the zip
  4. Copy the 3 files from the /db folder into the existing /db folder

After this, simply run launch.exe to start using the latest DBGL build.

Please always make a backup of your existing DBGL installation prior to updating if you value its data. This means making a backup of the db/, profiles/ and templates/ folders.

dosdog wrote on 2020-06-17, 09:25:

Hi! Any possibilty of adding browsers for other media such as audio and video recordings?

Nah, not really, but if you want you can still use a profile's various 'link' fields to link to audio or video files; they will open up with your system's default viewers.