Common searches

DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Bouchacha: Thanks you for your compliments! About the 8.3 issue you mentioned; it should be working. Can you give me an example to reproduce the problem?! Thanks!

To run the setup for a given profile, just press shift-enter (as in D-Fend). By the way, ctrl-enter brings up the profile-editing screen.

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 41 of 1962, by Bouchacha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Before I get to that, I found a bug.

It seems like if you include a mount command in the default dosbox.conf under autoexec, when you go to add a new template under DBGL, the frontend scans dosbox.conf and crashes.

The following message is left:

C:\Games\DOS Games\dbgl031>java -Djava.library.path=lib -jar dbgl.jar
startup
Could not read settings.conf
java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
at java.lang.String.substring(Unknown Source)
at com.model.Mount.<init>(Mount.java:59)
at com.model.Autoexec.<init>(Autoexec.java:72)
at com.gui.EditTemplateDialog.selectSettingsByAutoexec(EditTemplateDialog.java:916)
at com.gui.EditTemplateDialog.selectSettingsByConfiguration(EditTemplateDialog.java:992)
at com.gui.EditTemplateDialog.createContents(EditTemplateDialog.java:904)
at com.gui.EditTemplateDialog.open(EditTemplateDialog.java:146)
at com.gui.MainWindow.doAddTemplate(MainWindow.java:686)
at com.gui.MainWindow.access$14(MainWindow.java:679)
at com.gui.MainWindow$37.widgetSelected(MainWindow.java:538)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:90)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:66)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:928)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3348)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2968)
at com.gui.MainWindow.open(MainWindow.java:117)
at com.gui.MainWindow.main(MainWindow.java:98)

C:\Games\DOS Games\dbgl031>

Edit: Problem is non-existent if you include:
mount c "c:\games\dosgam~1\" -t dir
instead of what the dosbox wiki tells you to put:
mount C C:\games\dosgam~1

C:

Double edit:
For some strange reason, the mounting commands are listed normal when you make a new template but when you go back to edit the template or make a new profile, it's listed twice:

No matter how many times you delete that double entry from the template itself through the front-end, it never goes away. When you make a new profile based on that template and go back to edit it, you'll see it listed 3 times!

Triple Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. Since DBGL only makes amends to the conf file instead of actually editing it, the autoexec command gets used twice. It shouldn't cause any problems but you might want to address it.

Agree with us on everything
or we won't help with anything
that kind of attitude
just makes a split grow wider

Reply 42 of 1962, by Bouchacha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As for the other thing, since I didn't have any D-Fend profiles saved, I had to create new ones. I click on Add Profile and since I don't need to make any changes to the settings I go directly to Mounting. This is where I specify where the game actually is. I click browse and point the program to the right location. After I title it properly and click OK, I get this:

dosbox.jpg

Everything works just fine if I change the pathnames to conform to good old 8.3 dos naming:

C:\Games\DOSGam~1\Betray~1\KRONDOR.EXE

However, it is rather annoying have to count 6 characters and manually including the squiggly 1 after each folder. Is there anyway for the field or for the program to automatically translate it into a language dos understands?

Also, the timesynched feature is missing from the Machine>Cpu section

Sorry if I'm including too much. I hope this helps. Please keep up the great work, I know I'm going to continue using this!

that kind of attitude

Reply 43 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bouchacha wrote:

C:\Games\DOSGam~1\Betray~1\KRONDOR.EXE

I don't understand why you're using 8.3 syntax for your mount-point? AFAIK, it is perfectly legal to use full pathname notation. So why not change that?

Bouchacha wrote:

Also, the timesynched feature is missing from the Machine>Cpu section

Sorry if I'm including too much. I hope this helps. Please keep up the great work, I know I'm going to continue using this!

The timesynced feature will be added! Hey, you're using DBGL, and I really appreciate the feedback!

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 44 of 1962, by Bouchacha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote:

I don't understand why you're using 8.3 syntax for your mount-point? AFAIK, it is perfectly legal to use full pathname notation. So why not change that?

I tried! I click browse under the mounting tab to find the file I want to direct to. That gives me the full pathname automatically. However, when I click OK to save the profile, it gives me the message noted in the screenshot. It's only until I change the pathname under Execute>DOS>Main to 8.3 syntax that the program finally cooperates. I wish I didn't have to but it doesn't let me otherwise.

that kind of attitude

Reply 45 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bouchacha wrote:
rcblanke wrote:

I tried! I click browse under the mounting tab to find the file I want to direct to. That gives me the full pathname automatically. However, when I click OK to save the profile, it gives me the message noted in the screenshot. It's only until I change the pathname under Execute>DOS>Main to 8.3 syntax that the program finally cooperates. I wish I didn't have to but it doesn't let me otherwise.

No, not with the file, in the upper part of the screen; Use full path syntax for your _mount_ command. Works for me!?

Reply 47 of 1962, by Bouchacha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote:

No, not with the file, in the upper part of the screen; Use full path syntax for your _mount_ command. Works for me!?

I see, that's what I tried the first time but DOSBox doesn't understand the commands. I seem to recall from looking at D-Fend custom config files that it automatically parsed pathnames to 8.3 syntax in order to work with DosBox.

dosbox2-1.jpg

Thank you again for your help and for such a wonderful program. Eagerly anticipating the development.

that kind of attitude

Reply 48 of 1962, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the directory name contains spaces and is longer then the 8.3

Futher timesynced is not an offcial option

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 49 of 1962, by Bouchacha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

Hello Qbix. I know the directory name contains spaces. I was wondering if DBGL can automatically parse the pathname to conform to 8.3 syntax just like D-Fend (I believe) does. It would make creating new profiles MUCH easier.

that kind of attitude

Reply 50 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everybody,

The update for DBGL version 0.4 is available. Fixed a couple of bugs, but most importantly, it is now multiplatform. The Linux build was tested on Ubuntu Dapper Drake only, so please, if you're running on another distro let me know how it goes!

Regards,
Ronald

Bouchacha wrote:
Qbix wrote:

Hello Qbix. I know the directory name contains spaces. I was wondering if DBGL can automatically parse the pathname to conform to 8.3 syntax just like D-Fend (I believe) does. It would make creating new profiles MUCH easier.

Sorry, I understand the problem now. Will fix it for the upcoming release.

About timesynched; This setting will only be stored in the profiles' .conf file when the underlying dosbox.conf contains the setting (like ykhwong's). In effect, the profiles' .conf file will never be cluttered with 'timesynched=false' when using plain v0.65, for example.

Reply 51 of 1962, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Maybe it is an error from my side:
If I select a executable ( add profile/mouting) /tmp/arj.exe
and I press "ok" then I get a warning no mountpoint selected.
DOSBox itself Is capable of running games like this (dosbox /tmp/arj.exe)
Maybe you can create something like this. (some sort of automatic mount point ?)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 52 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:
Maybe it is an error from my side: If I select a executable ( add profile/mouting) /tmp/arj.exe and I press "ok" then I get a wa […]
Show full quote

Maybe it is an error from my side:
If I select a executable ( add profile/mouting) /tmp/arj.exe
and I press "ok" then I get a warning no mountpoint selected.
DOSBox itself Is capable of running games like this (dosbox /tmp/arj.exe)
Maybe you can create something like this. (some sort of automatic mount point ?)

Good idea, shouldn't be too hard to do.. You can expect it in the upcoming release!

BTW, how does DBGL behave on your distro? Mmm, you're runing Debian right? Do the popup windows look ok to you?

Reply 53 of 1962, by Spearhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

had a quick look under Gentoo, the windows seem to look alright, the only thing i changed was in the dbgl file, i simply put "java" as executing command without the path, because the location is different at Gentoo (standard is /usr/bin/java). No biggie though, i would include a small readme though for that ^^
(easy way of determining java executable location is to input "which java" in the console" 😀 )

Reply 54 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you Spearhead, your feedback is greatly appreciated, aspecially as it looks like not too many people are testing my frontend on Linux, yet.

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 56 of 1962, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rcblanke wrote:

Thank you Spearhead, your feedback is greatly appreciated, aspecially as it looks like not too many people are testing my frontend on Linux, yet.

Regards,
Ronald

heh. Not much for frontends and haven't had time for testing this month. 🙁

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 57 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey, no offence intended DosFreak 😀 It's just that I hadn't expected the download figures to be as much different as they are now (win:55+ vs. linux:4)

Reply 58 of 1962, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, it would be nice to know what the statistics are for DosBox usage. Just pretty much anything tho it'll be far more Windows users than Linux users. 🙁

I should be free this weekend and I'll definetly be testing it out in Linux.....of course that's what I said earlier this week about testing Fallout\Daggerfall in a thread I posted 2 weeks ago.... 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 59 of 1962, by Bouchacha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

wait what? Fallout runs under DOSBox?

e: I forgot there was a dos version

that kind of attitude