https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/down … /#jdk18-windows
or
https://adoptopenjdk.net/

And yes, a more recent version should also work. If not, that would be a bug 😀

Reply 1767 of 1962, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would avoid Oracle Java. Go for OpenJDK instead.

I know they are not targeting home users, but still...
https://www.theregister.com/2022/03/22/oracle … o_include_java/

Reply 1768 of 1962, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm noticing something in the last beta... linked documents no longer open their viewers / editors. I'0m talking PDF and JPG files. Did anything change regarding that matter? Or maybe it's the latest Windows upgrade resetting my file associations?

Reply 1769 of 1962, by Digitoxin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Still having the issue with 0.96beta3

rcblanke wrote on 2022-03-29, 17:48:

Thank you Digitoxin, this should now be resolved in the new beta build.

All the latest files. To upgrade, just update dbgl.jar.

Ronald

Reply 1770 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Digitoxin wrote on 2022-04-14, 04:07:

That's unfortunate. If you start DBGL with dbglcons.cmd, do you get any logged messages when there is a failure to open a folder?

Neville wrote on 2022-04-13, 09:32:

I'm noticing something in the last beta... linked documents no longer open their viewers / editors. I'0m talking PDF and JPG files. Did anything change regarding that matter? Or maybe it's the latest Windows upgrade resetting my file associations?

Yes, there have been some changes. Can you confirm that it does work correctly with the latest official DBGL release? Like with Digitoxin's issue, starting DBGL with dbglcons.cmd might log some extra information that might provide a clue about the reason for this problem.

Reply 1771 of 1962, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've noticed external links still work with DBGL v0.95, so yes, it seems an issue with the last beta. I've tried starting the new version of DBGL with dbgl.cmd as you suggest, but I don't see any log files. Where are they stored?

Reply 1774 of 1962, by Digitoxin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found the issue for real this time!. Sierra games in particular like to install a game in a subfolder (BC, KQ1, ZELIARD, etc.) and place a batch file with the same name (BC.BAT, KQ1.BAT, ZELIARD.BAT) alongside that folder. When the game folder and a file with the same name exist alongside one another, Open game folder fails. Renaming the batch file to something else or removing it fixes the issue.

rcblanke wrote on 2022-04-15, 16:05:
That's unfortunate. If you start DBGL with dbglcons.cmd, do you get any logged messages when there is a failure to open a folder […]
Show full quote
Digitoxin wrote on 2022-04-14, 04:07:

That's unfortunate. If you start DBGL with dbglcons.cmd, do you get any logged messages when there is a failure to open a folder?

Yes, there have been some changes. Can you confirm that it does work correctly with the latest official DBGL release? Like with Digitoxin's issue, starting DBGL with dbglcons.cmd might log some extra information that might provide a clue about the reason for this problem.

Reply 1775 of 1962, by RedTony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heya. Thanks Ronald for this excellent front-end, I started using it like 3 years ago, same reason as why you developed it (yeah, well, I'm bit lazier 😁) - lack of DFend Reloaded dev resulted on it stop working as intended.

Actually one of the features I have in higher esteem is the metadata import from Mobygames and other db's. The issue is, I realized DFend somehow scaled down the pics/boxes/screenshots so they occupied only a few KB's.
I noticed than in the old DFend profile from Might&Magic Clouds of Xeen the cover weighed 75Kb while when importing through DBGL it takes a whole 1,5MB.
As I have an extensive oldies' library in a cloud storage (pCloud free storage works really nice with DBGL BTW) capacity can be an issue.

All in all, would it be possible to scale down the images imported same way that D-Fend did?

I know it's a nice to have and I can manually edit them anyway with a similar result. So take it as a min-priority entry in the suggested features mailbox.

P.S: I am searching my old JAVA programs for image treatment to see if I can find any useful piece of code there.

Reply 1776 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Digitoxin wrote on 2022-04-19, 01:31:

I found the issue for real this time!. Sierra games in particular like to install a game in a subfolder (BC, KQ1, ZELIARD, etc.) and place a batch file with the same name (BC.BAT, KQ1.BAT, ZELIARD.BAT) alongside that folder. When the game folder and a file with the same name exist alongside one another, Open game folder fails. Renaming the batch file to something else or removing it fixes the issue.

Thanks for reporting! Heh, figures that it had to be something obscure as that 😉 Should be fixed now, looks like a bug in

Desktop.getDesktop().open(file);

which I work around by adding "/." to the directory location.

I'm noticing something in the last beta... linked documents no longer open their viewers / editors. I'0m talking PDF and JPG files...

Ah, another bug, this time in Java itself. I think I found a working solution now, can you please try again with 0.96beta4?

RedTony wrote on 2022-04-23, 08:24:

All in all, would it be possible to scale down the images imported same way that D-Fend did?

Oops, the current behaviour is because of a regression in DBGL version 0.90. While screenshots are always saved as (lossless) PNG files, cover art is supposed to be stored as .jpg . I've corrected this now, so that your cover art files should be quite a bit smaller. It will, however, not alter any existing image files you might already have in your DBGL folder.

On the subject of converting your existing (large) image files - on Windows, I've had good luck with Irfanview which can do image batch conversion.

Ronald

Reply 1778 of 1962, by RedTony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote on 2022-04-23, 14:04:
Oops, the current behaviour is because of a regression in DBGL version 0.90. While screenshots are always saved as (lossless) PN […]
Show full quote

Oops, the current behaviour is because of a regression in DBGL version 0.90. While screenshots are always saved as (lossless) PNG files, cover art is supposed to be stored as .jpg . I've corrected this now, so that your cover art files should be quite a bit smaller. It will, however, not alter any existing image files you might already have in your DBGL folder.

On the subject of converting your existing (large) image files - on Windows, I've had good luck with Irfanview which can do image batch conversion.

Ronald

Oh, great! thanks for the lightning fast answer.
For mass resizing I also used bulkresizephotos.com or batchcompress.com, all web-based.
Cheers,

Tony

Reply 1779 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've just uploaded beta5 with a toggle option in the preferences dialog, in which you can choose to use the 'old' file linking method (by file path), or the more modern method by using file:// URL. This should help with the issue reported by Neville, above. As to why file linking by using URLs does -apparently- not work for everyone, I have no idea.

Ronald