Common searches

DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 1800 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The folder name is indeed the same you show in your capture. I'm attaching the .conf file.

I'm also noticing another issue... the same profile does work with plain DOSBox v.74-3, but won't work with DOSBox-X. It launches DOSBox-X, but it seems to ignore the lines at the [autoexec] section of the .conf file.

I'm using DOSBox-X 0.84.1 MinGW SDL2 x64 build.

Attachments

• Filename
    PajarosDeBangkok.conf
    File size
    1.17 KiB
    Downloads
    86 downloads
    File comment
    Problematic .CONF
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1801 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your .conf is working fine here, at least in DBGL. In DOSBox, on the other hand, things break like so:

pajaros2.png
Filename
pajaros2.png
File size
12.12 KiB
Views
File comment
Pájaros
File license
Public domain

I *think* this is a DOS or DOSBox limitation. AFAIK the dosbox configuration file should be encoded in UTF-8 (as is the default dosbox.conf), which it is.

But if anyone more knowledgeable on file encoding/charsets/codepages is able to shed some light on this problem, I'm all ears. If this can be fixed, I'd very much like to do so.

Reply 1802 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mmm... If I uncheck the "Close when exit" box in DBGL, that's exactly the same error I'm getting. Only that mine occurs inside DBGL as well.

I've also been doing more testing on my DOSBox-X issue. Profiles using that build work on my regular install, but not on my backup one. The only difference I see between both is that the later runs from D:, my second harddrive. But this shouldn't matter, right? And I'm using the exact same build in both places.

Reply 1803 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Correct, this shouldn't matter. Maybe also uncheck "Close when exit" to see what's going on (or right-click on a problematic profile and choose 'Start manually' to see if the mounts are working).

Reply 1804 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Huh. It just opens DOSBox-X as it would without further instructions. No error messages, no mounting command, no nothing.

EDIT: Tried with another DOSBox-X build, SLD1. It works now.

2c5IG7A.png

No idea why.

Reply 1805 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think we can forget about my DOSBox-X issue, it seems that some builds of DOSBox-X are to blame and not DBGL. I've been also testing my other DBGL profiles with accents in the pathnames and all seem to work. I just found another problematic one, however: "Asterix: Operation Getafix". Either DOSBox or DBGL don't like that I accentuate "Asterix".

zcLBFzx.png

Reply 1806 of 1968, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Neville wrote on 2022-08-06, 12:49:
I think we can forget about my DOSBox-X issue, it seems that some builds of DOSBox-X are to blame and not DBGL. I've been also t […]
Show full quote

I think we can forget about my DOSBox-X issue, it seems that some builds of DOSBox-X are to blame and not DBGL. I've been also testing my other DBGL profiles with accents in the pathnames and all seem to work. I just found another problematic one, however: "Asterix: Operation Getafix". Either DOSBox or DBGL don't like that I accentuate "Asterix".

zcLBFzx.png

That looks like a codepage problem. What codepage are you using? If you run the `keyb` command, it will print the codepage. It seems you are trying to use characters that simply don't exist in the standard DOS 437 codepage. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_437

So you either need to use a different codepage (e.g., 852), or avoid using those characters.

update
I tried it myself by starting dosbox-x as such and I see the same problem with codepage 858:

dosbox-x -c "keyb es" -c "mount C 'Pájaros de Bangkok, Los'"

So I suggest to open an issue on the dosbox-x issue tracker.

Reply 1807 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

I've just released version 0.96 on the DBGL website. The latest changes include some more library updates and a German translation update. Enjoy!

Please note (again) that this new release requires at least Java 11. Older Java versions will no longer work.

If the problems mentioned by Neville with regards to certain accented characters requires DBGL fixes, we'll do that in a next build.

Reply 1808 of 1968, by Monotremata

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

0.96 doesn't launch at all here on Monterey 12.5 (Intel Mac if that matters). Updated Java to the latest SDK, DBGL just bounces once in the dock and stops. Going inside the package and running DBGL directly from the command line throws this error:

Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/dbgl/gui/Launcher has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 55.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:756)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:473)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:74)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:369)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:363)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:362)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:418)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:355)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:351)
at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(LauncherHelper.java:601)

This is with the latest JDK as well. According to java --version Im running:
java 18.0.2 2022-07-19
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 18.0.2+9-61)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 18.0.2+9-61, mixed mode, sharing)

Any ideas? Reinstalled 0.95 and that's still working just fine.

Reply 1809 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for reporting, Monotremata. Looks like you still have Java 8 installed on your system, and DBGL tries to launch using that (and fails).

You can try uninstalling Java 8 from your system running these commands:

sudo rm -fr /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin
sudo rm -fr /Library/PreferencePanes/JavaControlPanel.prefPane
sudo rm -fr ~/Library/Application\ Support/Oracle/Java

I'll check if I can improve the launcher for MacOS so that this will not be a problem for other Mac users.

EDIT: can you please edit /Applications/DBGL.app/Contents/MacOS/dbgl so that it contains:

#!/bin/sh
BASEDIR=`dirname "$0"`
cd "$BASEDIR"
exec java \
-XstartOnFirstThread \
-Ddbgl.data.userhome=true \
-classpath "$BASEDIR"/lib:"$BASEDIR" \
-jar dbgl.jar

This may also fix the issue.

Reply 1810 of 1968, by Monotremata

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote on 2022-08-10, 16:42:
EDIT: can you please edit /Applications/DBGL.app/Contents/MacOS/dbgl so that it contains: […]
Show full quote

EDIT: can you please edit /Applications/DBGL.app/Contents/MacOS/dbgl so that it contains:

#!/bin/sh
BASEDIR=`dirname "$0"`
cd "$BASEDIR"
exec java \
-XstartOnFirstThread \
-Ddbgl.data.userhome=true \
-classpath "$BASEDIR"/lib:"$BASEDIR" \
-jar dbgl.jar

This may also fix the issue.

That did the trick! It fired right up after removing the middle section. I figured I would try that first because I have an old app I use to edit my old EMU sampler that needs Java 8 so that saved the day.

Reply 1812 of 1968, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This may have already been asked but 91 pages is a bit too much to go through. I'm messing around with my Steam Deck and I'd like to install DBGL on there since it's by far the easiest to configure games with. The thing is, on Windows I use a fork that supports shaders and on Linux this seems to be DOSBOX-X - does DBGL support DOSBOX-X through its menus?

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 1814 of 1968, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rcblanke wrote on 2022-08-16, 15:03:

Should work, though not all of DOSBox-X' experimental features can be configured in DBGL. Just let me know if you experience issues.

Thanks for the info but I can't even get JAVA to install - keep getting errors about keys being unsafe and corrupted files. I'll give up for now and just manually edit the config files.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 1816 of 1968, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rcblanke wrote on 2022-08-16, 21:23:

FYI with the latest release it's possible to use DBGL without a full Java installation - just download the minimal JRE and extract into your DBGL folder.

This will be handy for my Windows setup - but from what I see the download is Windows only?

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 1819 of 1968, by Scar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

0.96 doesn't launch on Monterey 12.5.1 (Apple Silicon). Updated Java to the latest SDK, DBGL just bounces once in the dock and stops. Going inside the package and running DBGL directly from the command line gives this error:

Launching DBGL using 64-Bit VM 18.0.2.1 on Mac OS X v12.5.1aarch64, HSQL Database Engine 2.6.1, SWT v4944cocoa
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Could not load SWT library. Reasons:
no swt-cocoa-4944r26 in java.library.path: /Users/andy/Library/Java/Extensions:/Library/Java/Extensions:/Network/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/Java/Extensions:/usr/lib/java:.
no swt-cocoa in java.library.path: /Users/andy/Library/Java/Extensions:/Library/Java/Extensions:/Network/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/Java/Extensions:/usr/lib/java:.
no swt in java.library.path: /Users/andy/Library/Java/Extensions:/Library/Java/Extensions:/Network/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/Java/Extensions:/usr/lib/java:.
Can't load library: /Users/andy/.swt/lib/macosx/aarch64/libswt-cocoa-4944r26.jnilib
Can't load library: /Users/andy/.swt/lib/macosx/aarch64/libswt-cocoa.jnilib
Can't load library: /Users/andy/.swt/lib/macosx/aarch64/libswt.jnilib
Can't load library: /Users/andy/.swt/lib/macosx/aarch64/libswt-cocoa-4944r26.jnilib

at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Library.java:348)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Library.java:257)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.C.<clinit>(C.java:19)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.<clinit>(Display.java:107)
at org.dbgl.gui.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:51)

Any ideas what to do?

Thanks.