VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by raskil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As mentioned in another thread i got a multiplayer game of Shadow Warrior over the DosBox IPX tunnel working yesterday. In the process i noticed some behaviour which i couldn't understand:

We set up our IPX based SW game and launched it from the Setup. The game showed that 2/2 players are connected, but it simply wouldn't start.
I remembered that behaviour from our Win95 LAN sessions some years ago. The problem was the frame type of the IPX protocol wich usually defaults to "auto", but thats known to cause a lot of trouble. So i searched google, the DosBox Wiki and Vogons for information on how to switch the frame type in DosBox, but i couldn't find anything.
After that i added the IPX protocol and switched the frame type to 802.3 of my WindowsXP NIC, which i'm using for the internet connection to the other DosBox session. Surprisingly Shadow Warrior worked after that.

So here is my question again: Does the IPX frame type of my NIC has an effect on the DosBox IPX tunnel or was ist just a coincidence?

Reply 2 of 4, by ariqu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Moreover, IPX is tunneled through UDP/IP, meaning IPX packets are packeted in UDP packets and sent. The destination decodes the UDP packet and DOSBox receives the IPX packet, and decodes accordingly.

What really bums me is that there is not IPX passthrough, so DOSBox games can connect to real DOS machines running the same game. Of course, we all know how well IPX in Windows XP works...