VOGONS

Common searches

Windows 3.1X on Dosbox

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 26, by Sephiroth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have Win3.11 running perfectly with 0.70 using my original SB16 drivers right off the old floppies. Also, the SB16 came preset at IRQ5, and the pros came at IRQ7. I have several of each card, some still in the box, and checked to make sure. The SB16 was also not PnP, but the later versions (mainly PCI) were. Using the SB16PnP drivers in Win3.11 with the original SB16 produced either choppy sound or no sound at all. Just some knowledge I have gathered over the years, and DOSBox reacts the exact same way!

486 Launcher v2.0 is now under development!

Reply 23 of 26, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

somehow I didn'T read the part about the original driver CD. I'll have to pin a note that the drivers linked to in the guide works and that other drivers may not work.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 24 of 26, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried using the original cd drivers, and it didn't work at all. Now that i installed the drivers linked, it works perfect! Still I think that if Dosbox used sound irq 5 instead of 7, compatibility with old games would be better perhaps... or not at all... who knows 😁

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 25 of 26, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think it would make that much difference. In the old DOS days it was the same trouble that some games only supported IRQ 5 others only 7.

Under Dosbox it is at least as easy as just changing a small number in a configuration file. Back then you had to turn off your PC, open it and change the appropiate jumper on the sound card or - with newer cards - you had to somehow persuade the shitty Creative Plug'n'Play Manager to change the IRQ to the desired value, which sounds easier than it actually was. 😒

Reply 26 of 26, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

This won't be changed to 5 as people already have configured their
games according to the current setting irq=7 so this would cause
a lot more problems than it solves.
And if you think compatibility would be better with irq=5 (why???)
just change that in YOUR dosbox.conf