VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 47, by irvoke123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Winamp can save MIDI files of Type-1 from Type-0.

Oh... How? =P I've been using WinAmp for god knows how many years now and I've never even known of such a feature 🤣. Are you sure it's in the free edition of WinAmp aswell, and not just in WinAmp Pro?

Reply 23 of 47, by irvoke123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, now I'm officially starting to get super confused.

Here's a type-0 MIDI song that isn't made with DRO2MIDI and it opens up in FLStudio just fine:
http://domestos.smurffimaa.net/pub/megaman_type-0_GM.mid

But for some very strange reason this type-0 MIDI file, which is made with DRO2MIDI, doesn't:
http://domestos.smurffimaa.net/pub/stryker_type-0.mid

And quite frankly I have no idea why this is so. The only difference I could spot between those two is that the first one, which works fine, has a "GM" tag at the end when I looked the format up in WinAmp: It says "MIDI / format 0 (GM)" whereas the later one, which doesn't work, says only "MIDI / format 0". Now I know that GM stands for General MIDI but how does it affect the song in practice, and could this possibly be the cause for the problem I'm getting?

Now here's a type-1 MIDI file that I made from the stryker type-0 song with the MIDI FIle Converter:
http://domestos.smurffimaa.net/pub/stryker_type-1.mid

Now this type-1 song is messed up in FLStudio too, so I'm starting to think that it's not about the MIDI file type, but instead could there be something fishy going on in the MIDIs that DRO2MIDI shoots out that makes them ununderstandable for FLStudio? Some of the type-1 conversions that I made with the MIDI File Converter did actually work in FLStudio but not this one. The one's that worked were still a bit weird though: The actual song was in the beginning, but after that there's like an 80 min pause and then some gibberish. Oh yeah, and there always seems to be a weird pause at the beginning too, usually for about 5-15 seconds, before the song starts playing.

Here's what I got when I opened up the stryker type-1 MIDI file into FLStudio and exported it right back out the way it was without even touching a knob:
http://domestos.smurffimaa.net/pub/stryker_ty … e-1-afterFL.mid

Sigh, I just don't get it! =P

Reply 24 of 47, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the problem is that the MIDI writer in DRO2MIDI is a fairly simplistic one - I didn't actually write it myself so I don't know how well it sticks to the spec.

At any rate there seems to be quite a bit of misunderstanding about the purpose of DRO2MIDI - a lot of people seem to expect it to produce A-grade professional MIDIs that don't need any tweaking at all, but unfortunately the nature of OPL and MIDI means that's not possible.

So from this point of view the MIDI output engine may well cut some corners just to get the file out in some sort of MIDI format, and it relies on a sequencer to fix up any issues. Having said that I've never had a problem with it, and on that note FLStudio is the first MIDI program I've ever heard of that doesn't properly open Type-0 files.

If you're getting desperate you could even try a really old program like Voyetra Sequencer Plus which is actually the program Bobby Prince used to compose most of the Apogee game music - of course being DOS you'll need to run it from within DOSBox. You don't need to worry about learning a new program though - all you need to do with any of these other programs is work out how to open a file and then save it again, and you can then go back to your preferred sequencer. But of course if you're having so much trouble with FLStudio, it does raise the question as to whether it's worth continuing to use it!

Reply 25 of 47, by irvoke123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You have really good points there, Malvineous, but I think you missed a few things that I mentioned. :> FLStudio does, indeed, seem to support type-0 MIDI files, as it opened up all other type-0 MIDI files that I had except the ones that were made with DRO2MIDI. I just didn't know they were type-0 before posting this. I know FLStudio is nothing compared to pro sequencing software of these days like Cubase but the thing is that I'm actually using FLStudio's demo version, since it can do everything (including exporting to MP3, OGG, WAV and MIDI etc) except saving the project files. There's no time limit for the demo, so that's why I have been using it as I usually need it only for like 30-60 min at once, and I usually am able to save all the necessary information I need into MIDI files so I have no use for the project files themselves. I was actually saving up my pennies for FLStudio as I was going to buy it, but this issue has, for the first time actually, raised the question for me if I really should buy it, or just save up a little more and get Reason or Cubase SX or something alike. But that would be a little daft though, if the only problem I have encountered is something as small as this. I think no-one would be willing to pay twice as much for a software just to get a MIDI file made out of a one single song. :> And, call me lazy, but I just haven't been able to find a free sequencing software that was as easy to use and setup as FLStudio.

Reply 26 of 47, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's why I said it's the first program I've heard of that doesn't *properly* open Type-0 files 😉 As far as I can tell DRO2MIDI produces correct files, but perhaps there are some variations on Type-0 which FLStudio doesn't like.

At any rate, it's very rare to find a single program that does everything you want, so if you're happy with FLStudio I'd concentrate on finding a free program that will fix the DRO2MIDI files, and just use both programs when you need to - do the conversion, pass the files through your "type-1 converter", then load them in FLStudio.

Back when I was using Windows I used the demo of WinJammer to convert Type-0 into Type-1, so if you're having trouble finding anything you could give that a shot - I think it's win3.1, which just goes to show how long I've been running Linux 😎

I take it the Winamp option doesn't work?

Reply 27 of 47, by irvoke123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't think the problem was the MIDIs being of type-0 after all; Even after converting them into type-1, they were still partially / totally messed up if the original MIDI came from DRO/IMF2MIDI. I have been using FLStudio to edit type-0 all along (before this incident, that is), I just didn't know that they were type-0. Well, anyways, I think I have found a way around this problem, and that's called Anvil Studio. Funny of me finding out about that program here, on Robert Prince's home page. I was able to import those MIDI files into Anvil Studio and repair the errors in them and then export them into a form of MIDI that FLStudio understands too. Well, I guess they're not really "errors" but more like "deficiencies" of a sort. And all I had to do is answer a few yes or no questions and Anvil Studio did the rest. =P Pretty sweet that almost-automatic MIDI repairing function it has.

Reply 28 of 47, by Batteryman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
irvoke123 wrote:

I don't think the problem was the MIDIs being of type-0 after all; Even after converting them into type-1, they were still partially / totally messed up if the original MIDI came from DRO/IMF2MIDI. I have been using FLStudio to edit type-0 all along (before this incident, that is), I just didn't know that they were type-0. Well, anyways, I think I have found a way around this problem, and that's called Anvil Studio. Funny of me finding out about that program here, on Robert Prince's home page. I was able to import those MIDI files into Anvil Studio and repair the errors in them and then export them into a form of MIDI that FLStudio understands too. Well, I guess they're not really "errors" but more like "deficiencies" of a sort. And all I had to do is answer a few yes or no questions and Anvil Studio did the rest. =P Pretty sweet that almost-automatic MIDI repairing function it has.

it is the dro2midi problem, beacuse, as you mention FL studio can messing it up, i have seen, more pro sequencer like Nuendo3 does it the same, or even doesnt load up a midi.
Out off topic: I'm a owner of FL studio 8 XXL, and FL studio can do alots of things, its just different than Cubace, but the quality is the same, FL is still a superb program.

Reply 29 of 47, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are differences given in the steps I wrote on the prev page:

IIGS_User wrote:

4) Enter "make " w/o quotes, drag the file "dro2midi.cpp" and press enter.-> "make dro2midi.cpp"

Now this should read like

4.1) v1.2, Enter "make " w/o quotes, drag the file "dro2midi.cpp" and press enter.-> "make dro2midi.cpp"

4.2) v1.4, just drag make into Terminal and press return.

Both variants doesn't work with v1.5 source on my MacBook, anyone have an idea how to make it now?

Klimawandel.

Reply 30 of 47, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doesn't it work if you just type "./make" w/o the quotes? That's the name of a small included script that should compile it for you, assuming you have GCC installed. This should be what happens when you drag 'make' into the terminal window, but without any description of why it doesn't work I can't help any further. Perhaps you're not in the dro2midi directory in the terminal at the time, so it can't find the source files?

Reply 32 of 47, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh I thought you wanted to use the terminal! Well the file in there called 'make' is a shell script, presumably if you just double-click on it it will work...

Reply 33 of 47, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hehe, to make sure it receives the correct pathes, I'm using the Terminal. 😀

After cd'ing into the project folder, checking your ./make suggestion, it comes to
./make: line 20: g++: command not found

the other methods "make dro2midi.cpp" and "make" (while being in the project folder) are resulting in
-bash: make: command not found

(This is just a conclusion, not a reproach.)

Klimawandel.

Reply 34 of 47, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It sounds like you don't have the GCC compiler installed on your system. Perhaps you had it installed previously but it has now been removed?

Reply 35 of 47, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malvineous wrote:

It sounds like you don't have the GCC compiler installed on your system. Perhaps you had it installed previously but it has now been removed?

XCode, probably?

Yes, I remember I had installed XCode on the previous computer system (where the compiling of this project worked in the past [the older versions of dro2midi]), but i'm not sure about the current computer.
Thanks, I have to check that. 😀

Klimawandel.

Reply 36 of 47, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malvineous wrote:

True, after installing the XCode tools on the new computer, re-compiling of v1.5 is working again, with the same step as given for v1.4:

IIGS_User wrote:

4.2) v1.4, just drag make into Terminal and press return.

Thanks again to remind me to install a proper compiler. 😀

Klimawandel.