VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by transitionality

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After finding out that certain DoxBox builds now have zip mounting support, I got ahold of ykhwong's and gulikoza's builds, and then started looking for a frontend that supports zip mounting as well. So far, I've downloaded DBGL. However, I'm stuck. I can't get DBGL to mount zips. I click Add Profile, define the game's name, then go to mounting options, choose the zip mount, add the game zip, and create and add a blank zip file for savegames, then click OK. The config line at the top indicates that the game zip gets mounted as C using PhysFS. So far so good. But I have no idea how to fill in the Execute -> DOS -> Main and Execute -> DOS -> Setup sections. Whatever I put in there causes some sort of error and the game refuses to work. Please help, or recommend another frontend that supports zip mounting in DosBox. Thanks.

Reply 1 of 13, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You should use the grab button (next to the 'main' and 'setup' fields) to obtain the mounted zip, and then press 'browse..' to select an executable inside the zipfile.

Please let me know if you need more info, regards,
Ronald

Reply 2 of 13, by transitionality

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That did it, thanks. But it's not very intuitive, is it? The first button is Browse, and the second one Grab, so one's intuition is to browse to the zip and then browse inside the zip once it is located (which one can do in Windows XP, but apparently not in this particular program). Perhaps the buttons need to be reordered.

Any other recommendations for frontends that support zip mounting? Thanks.

Reply 5 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

please read the readme for dosbox, it helps. Thanks

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 13, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
transitionality wrote:

Any other recommendations for frontends that support zip mounting? Thanks.

Yep, D.O.G. may be of help.

transitionality wrote:

And how do I add screenshots to this thing? It's not being very helpful.

Ctrl-F5

transitionality wrote:

And how do I set default options for an added profile, such as Audio frequencies and so on? It's a pain to have to set them every time.

Try creating a template and maybe set it as default. Another approach is to redefine all global options inside the dosbox.conf that is associated with your profiles, manually (by editing that file).

Reply 7 of 13, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The differance between D.O.G. and DBGL on the part of mounting zips is that D.O.G. does this on its own and doesn't require DOSBox to support zip mounting.
As far as I know DBGL requires DOSBox to support Zip mounting.

D.O.G. also supports 7-zip for compression.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 8 of 13, by transitionality

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Zip support doesn't work with the few games I tried. It seems that there is trouble saving configuration info into the write-mounted blank zip files that I specify (they remain zero-byte even after setup) and games that are unable to find setup configuration often fail to work. Is this a known issue, and what can be done about it?

Reply 10 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
transitionality wrote:

Zip support doesn't work with the few games I tried. It seems that there is trouble saving configuration info into the write-mounted blank zip files that I specify (they remain zero-byte even after setup) and games that are unable to find setup configuration often fail to work. Is this a known issue, and what can be done about it?

Configure the game and then zip it back up?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 13, by transitionality

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That defeats the point of the entire exercise. The point of zip mount support is that the zip files are either on read-only media, or for some other reason are preferable to maintain in original condition. My understanding of PhysFS is that it should work as described above, and yet it does not. What gives?

Reply 12 of 13, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
transitionality wrote:

Oh, I'm sorry but I believe it's my fault. I introduced a regression in DBGL since 0.60. The zip 'write' location should not be an archive but a directory. Please check to see if that works. I'll fix this problem in an upcoming DBGL release. Thanks for reporting the issue, transitionality!

Reply 13 of 13, by transitionality

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The file selection dialog insists on selecting a (7)zip file and will not take a directory. However, if you type a path to a directory into the path box, it will accept it. It seems to work fine this way, and game config etc. is saved and used successfully, so thanks.

On another note, is there a way to associate a screenshot acquired from another source (not captured during gameplay) with a game entry on DBGL? CTRL-F5 doesn't work for this. Thanks.