VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Pilotchick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was playing a game using dosbox on my boyfriends toshiba laptop with windows. I am a mac user and could not get dosbox to work on my computer. And the game crashed and now his screen is turned 90 CW same with the mouse. I was wondering how i can fix this. and if this is a virus from the game of a problem with dosbox?

Reply 4 of 11, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Edit : Woops never mind.

I had this ones too with an office computer, not using DOSBox but after installing MS Visual Studio 2005 Team System for Testers.

There could be an icon in the system tray (next to the clock) with a hint like 'ATI' or "NVidea" or "Display" or something similar.
Check here if there is a richtclickpopupmenu for this icon for setting rotation.
Also if the window shown after doubleclicking the icon has sutch an ability.
Also try rightclick on desktop>Properties>Settings>Advanced and check if there is something mentioning rotation.

Some others (Most people mention a key combo like CTRL+ALT+Arrow key or R) :
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1485823.php
http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/fo … ?threadID=15535
http://forums.pcpitstop.com/lofiversion/index … php/t68953.html
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=2 … 09071621AAYhTtD

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 5 of 11, by LoveWhenYouLove

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been experiencing this same problem. I see how to change the orientation back, but is there a way of preventing it from switching in the first place?

I have a wide screen monitor, and I believe that the problem occurs when DOSBox tries to open in full screen. Obviously I never switch to full screen on purpose, but some games do it automatically.

For example, in Crystal Caves the outside border isn't normally visible in the DOSBox window, but when all the crystals have been collected, the colour of the border is supposed to change to green and DOSBox automatically tries to open in full screen and switches orientation of my monitor. Any suggestions on how I can prevent it from ever opening in full screen?

(I don't know how I can go on without my Crystal Caves!! 😀 )

Reply 6 of 11, by Garrett

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One possible fix is changing the fullresolution= value in dosbox.conf to the exact pixel dimensions of your monitor. In Windows you can find this out by right-clicking the desktop and choosing Properties, then choosing Settings. On the left of the window you'll see a slider with your current resolution. You need to enter it exactly or the fullscreen mode won't draw correctly.

Changing this won't prevent it going fullscreen but this should make it draw to your screen size correctly (and therefore not mess anything up). The next step is to go down to the [render] section and change aspect= from false to true--this should make the fullscreen image adjust to your widescreen resolution without stretching out of shape. Save your changes and load DOSBox, and the new settings will now take effect.

I can't test this myself because all my monitors are 4:3, but this should theoretically solve your problem (at least in part). If you'd rather not deal with the configuration files directly you can use a frontend such as D-Fend Reloaded which will give you nice checkboxes and helpful tips for configuring the various settings.

Reply 9 of 11, by LoveWhenYouLove

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I opened it with Notepad and made the changes, but when I try to save the file it gives me an error that says, "Cannot create the C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.72\dosbox.conf file. Make sure that the path and file name are correct."

I have Windows Vista... I don't know if that makes a difference. 🙁

Reply 10 of 11, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well vista has some serious restrictions for file access. Maybe change the
access rights for the file, or copy it somewhere else where you can edit it
and instruct dosbox to use that file (see the readme).