VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi!

Mouse sensitivity in Dosbox seems to differ between fullscreen and windowed modes. In fullscreen mode the sensitivity drops considerably. This happens on both ddraw and surface video output drivers, and different resolutions in fullscreen and windowed modes don't have any effect either. It happens in different games (I tried Duke Nukem 3d, Tie Fighter and Dark Forces), and with the default configuration file that comes with Dosbox 0.72 (I'm on WinXP - if it matters, I have the pointer speed slider in WinXP control panel set at the middle and enhance pointer precision is checked).

The effect is especially noticeable in Dark Forces. In windowed mode it's playable with a mouse, but in fullscreen it's very sluggish. You can try it with the demo:
ftp://ftp.lucasarts.com/demos/pc/Dforces1.zip

Reply 2 of 4, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Changing the priority had no effect. In fullscreen sensitivity just drops to ~50% of what it is in windowed. Not skippy or stuttery at all, just a lot slower. For example in Dark Forces I can spin 360 degrees without lifting the mouse from the pad in windowed, but in fullscreen the sensitivity is too low to do even 180. Same thing in Duke Nukem.

Reply 3 of 4, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is your Mouse a high-resolution one, by any chance? In full-screen mode, DOSBox uses relative mouse coordinates, and SDL might pass through raw mouse data in that case. This is an effect with some SDL output drivers.

There's not much you can do about except choosing either fullscreen or windowed as your preferred environment and tuning the "sensitivity" parameter in dosbox.conf accordingly.

(BTW, that is the reason why some people use two mice on one PC: a high-res one, and a normal-res one)