VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Elf Wizard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! 😎

Does someone knows if it is possible to change in Linux (through dosbox.conf?), the sound engine from ALSA to open sound system or threaded open sound system?

I'm using Kubuntu Hardy (KDE 3.5) and ALSA has became unusable at my system. 😢

Speak "Friend" and enter, or...

Reply 2 of 10, by Elf Wizard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripa wrote:

Try setting the environment variable SDL_AUDIODRIVER to oss.

MANY THANKS ripa for your help!!! 😉

I gave
CONFIG -set "SDL_AUDIODRIVER=oss",
but what I received is:
" No such section or property ". 😳

Ehm!
Any further hints? 😀

Reply 4 of 10, by Elf Wizard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=oss
dosbox

Konsole utput:

"CONFIG: Using default settings. Create a configfile to change them
MIXER:Can't open audio: No available audio device , running in nosound mode.
ALSA:Can't subscribe to MIDI port (65:0) nor (17:0)
MIDI:Opened device:oss"

Trying these settings from a dosbox.conf file, returns the same output (except from the 1st line "CONFIG: Using default settings..." )
😕

THANKS Qbix for your help!!! 😉

Reply 5 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

How do you start DOSBox?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 10, by Elf Wizard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

How do you start DOSBox?

right click (on game directory, on second hdd with full read-write access),->actions->open terminal (konsole) here->dosbox.

(at Kubuntu Hardy, KDE 3.5.10, Konsole 1.6.6, DOSBox 0.72).

Reply 7 of 10, by Elf Wizard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally, after solving all my ALSA related problems here, I tried again to put dosbox to work.

Seems like opening konsole to the game directory and launching dosbox from there, is not the proper way to do it.
Launching dosbox, from the (debian installer made) kde menu shortcut (or from any other user made shortcut (eg. from a desktop one), is the only working solution for the sound engine.

This way, I can't have a CLI output and I have to manually type the entire path for mounting the game directory, but sound works like a dream!!! 😁

My system is Kubuntu Hardy, KDE 3.5.10, kernel 2.6.24-22-generic.

Reply 8 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Elf Wizard wrote:
Finally, after solving all my ALSA related problems here, I tried again to put dosbox to work. Seems like opening konsole to th […]
Show full quote

Finally, after solving all my ALSA related problems here, I tried again to put dosbox to work.

Seems like opening konsole to the game directory and launching dosbox from there, is not the proper way to do it.
Launching dosbox, from the (debian installer made) kde menu shortcut (or from any other user made shortcut (eg. from a desktop one), is the only working solution for the sound engine.

This way, I can't have a CLI output and I have to manually type the entire path for mounting the game directory, but sound works like a dream!!! 😁

My system is Kubuntu Hardy, KDE 3.5.10, kernel 2.6.24-22-generic.

Sounds like the shortcut is setting some variable. Try checking out what the shortcut does. If it is a variable then you can set it system wide and use DOSBox wherever you want.

If you don't want to bother with the above then you should be able to point the shortcut to a dosbox.conf as well.

Of course if you did figure out what the shortcut is doing to make sound to work then you'd be able to use a frontend as well.....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 10, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm, I'm also having problems getting sound in DOSBox after getting my PulseAudio setup squared away in Ubuntu Intrepid (8.10). Everything else on my system works fine, but I too get this when I launch DOSBox (regardless of start method):

MIXER:Can't open audio: No available audio device , running in nosound mode.

I tried setting the SDL env variable, to no effect. Even tried using the "shut off / suspend pulseaudio" utils pasuspender and padsp to get it running with ALSA and OSS respectively. No effect.

I searched on the Ubuntu forums and nothing suggested seems to work. Any ideas?

Reply 10 of 10, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This seems to have fixed itself when I restarted. My guess is the pulseaudio daemon got into a bad state and couldn't be restarted properly (after a manual kill). So anyone in the future who has this problem might just, as a control group, want to restart their machine and run DOSBox before running anything else.