VOGONS

Common searches

Can't install

Topic actions

First post, by Arramol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just downloaded DOSBox today, and I can't install the game that I want to use it for. I have Windows XP, which won't allow me to install the game at all, and after mounting a directory as drive D, the install (run within DOSBox) tells me that the drive doesn't exist. Sorry about the newbie question, but the forum was all I could think of after consulting the Readme (and yes, I did search for previous posts on this topic).

Reply 1 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try to install the game first using a normal Dos NTVDM screen. Then exit and run it under DosBox. I've noticed that installation programs and/or SETSOUND utilities are quite picky under DosBox.

Reply 2 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Arramol I just downloaded DOSBox today, and I can't install the game that I want to use it for.

"the game" "the game" "the game" "the game"

Yeesh. Why is it that people just can't cough up critically important info? Different games react differently to different situations. How about we start with what has to be the one piece of information that should never be missing from a post:

What game are you trying to install?

Reply 4 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Arramol The game is X-wing.

Ok, apparently there's a glitch where the installer for XWing glitches with DosBox 0.58.

You have two basic choices:

1) Install natively (that is, without DosBox). You'll get a warning about EMS memory, ignore it and continue. When you actually start to install files, it will generate a 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem error (complaining about direct hard disk access), choose ignore to continue. It should then provide you with a list of drives available for installation. After it installs the files where you choose, you can abort and quit at that point.
Startup DosBox, mount the drive you used and your CD-ROM, then run the INSTALL program from your hard drive to configure the game.

2) Try one of rjpa's CVS DosBox releases.

Note that CVS releases are unsupported and may not behave the same as the publicly released build.