VOGONS

Common searches

Comments on the screenshots of the cvs

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 63, by robotriot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i've got z working with the cvs, which is very cool infact. svga didn't work though, and there were some horribly sounds when it's loading. unfortunately, with the newest cvs it doesn't work anymore, and i didn't keep the old one D:

Reply 21 of 63, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Meh. Don't even talk about Z. Thats the only game I`ve ever regretted buying. C&C + Dark Reign were VASTLY better.

I`ll have to try increasing the cycles before I play Syndicate next time, as the sound stuttering has gotten alot worse with the new version of the cvs (as of the 27th of August) when I increase the cycles in-game.

Out of curiosity does Ultima 8 run with the current cvs? I haven`t tested it, but it would be great to play that game again sometime.

Reply 22 of 63, by robotriot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

heh, back then i prefered c&c as well. but nowadays, i just love the graphics of z, they are kinda way superior to those of c&c (by not being rendered). i'm into pixelgraphics myself, so it's very interesting for me 😀

Reply 23 of 63, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by firestorm225 Yay, Dark Forces works on the latest CVS build! It's really quite slow, but it seems that the sound and the graphics have no problems at all now.

Missed this one earlier... Why on Earth are you running "Dark Forces" in DosBox?

Reply 24 of 63, by Tharaxis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm happy to say that Ultima 7 appears to now be working with the latest DOSBox CVS build, everything seems to function fine, no graphical anomolies or anything, though it still runs a little slow (even at a cycles = 10000), and upping it any further in-game results in sound skipping (even at 10000 sound skips slightly) - I haven't tested it extensively though so I have no idea whether it does indeed function 100% or not.

I'm happy U7 is starting to work now... Ultima 8 still bombs out right on startup though, I checked the standard output log to see if anything funny was reported and I got this:

Exit to error: CALL: Descriptor type 4 unsupported

Anyway, good job guys, it can only get better 😀

Reply 26 of 63, by mr_zen256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If the sound is stuttering when you raise the cpu cycles, try increasing the frameskip. I have found it does the trick when playing Syndicate and it doesnt degrade the visual quality.

Currently I am running it at 8000 cycles with a frameskip of 2 on an AMD Athlon XP 1700+ at 1466MHz. All you need to do is mess around with the config and you should be able to get it working pretty sweet. Just a matter of adjusting it to the right levels for your CPU...

Reply 27 of 63, by firestorm225

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Missed this one earlier... Why on Earth are you running "Dark Forces" in DosBox?

Why not? 😀 No sound at all on Windows XP + very difficult steps that need to be followed in order to even get it installed (like running a .bat file each time in the DOS XP console) made me lose my interest in the game.

Reply 28 of 63, by mr_zen256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Since I have started to use my TV instead of a monitor I havent been able to play Dos based programs because my video card doesnt support it in fullscreen. Something to do with Directx but I'm not sure of the technical specifics. Even trusty old VDMSound wouldnt help... Then comes DosBox and now I can play all those good ol' nostalagic games in all their "320x200" glory... Cheers! I'm off to play Might and Magic 3

Reply 30 of 63, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by firestorm225 Why not?

*blink*

It's really quite slow,...

In other words, poor performance.

There's also the limit of 8-bit SoundBlaster Mono vs 16-Bit Stereo with VDMSound and you don't get to specify the GS Wavetable for MIDI.

No sound at all on Windows XP + very difficult steps that need to be followed in order to even get it installed (like running a .bat file each time in the DOS XP console)

Eh? What advise is this? The install program attempts to perform diagnostics that gives it the appearance of having "locked up"...it's not.

Database was moved since that post, so my entry is now here. Once you've got the basic setup configured the way you want (things like controller setup, changing the type of install, and the number of Digital audio channels using SETUP.EXE), you can use IMUSE.EXE (with VDMSound) to change individual sound settings.

...made me lose my interest in the game.

Well if you're ok with making your processor cry trying to run this title within an emulator with poor performance....c'est la vie.

Reply 31 of 63, by firestorm225

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

*blink*/In other words, poor performance.

Yes, but I meant, why wouldn't I try the game in the first place?

And I've never tried it with VDMSound so I wouldn't know that 😉

Last edited by firestorm225 on 2003-08-30, 18:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 36 of 63, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by ChaosFish Prince of Persia 2 works with the latest CVS!

Might want to do some in-depth testing before declaring success. We've had "false positives" before.

I still prefer the Mac version, heh.

Reply 38 of 63, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually there are some problems with Prince of Persia 2.
While the prince is walking up a door he can still move, and the game crashes sometimes (only the game, not dosbox).

Reply 39 of 63, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by ChaosFish While the prince is walking up a door he can still move, and the game crashes sometimes (only the game, not dosbox).

Well, if it's because of the game itself, there's nothing to be done.

Apparently, the "critical" place to test is around "quicksand".