Common searches

First post, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Hi all,
great work Dosbox-team!
A common error that I have noticed with many people in the past concerning running any old game, is that people tend to forget to change the file attribute to not be read-only.
So in the FAQ or Readme or anywhere else this should be listed as a top-source of common mistakes.
My two Euro-Cents

Reply 5 of 10, by firestorm225

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm a newb at this type of thing, so my question might have been stupid 😜

I was thinking any game save files, and files that stored settings would have to not be set at Read only.

I guess the best thing to do would be to select all the files and uncheck read only in Windows, correct?

Reply 7 of 10, by firestorm225

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright 😀 I just wanted to add this info to the FAQ without saying anything stupid or wrong 😜

What kind of problems can you experience if you have files set to Read Only? Like your settings don't save when you change them, stuff like that?

Reply 8 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Wish it were so simple. The most common problem is that the game would refuse to run at some point and either take the host system down (in this case Dosbox) or spit out an unrecognizable error. Most of the times right at the start. Mind that this is not with all games, probably just a few but it's still a problem people shoule be made aware of.