VOGONS

Common searches

Dosbox messed up my computer HELP

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by DigitalX5115

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay so I installed dosbox and it worked fine, then i noticed that dosbox logo was taking over most of the icons on the desktop and now when i try to run anything it opens dosbox. So i tried uninstalling it bit it was trying to uninstall in dosbox and said it couldn't open the file. So i tried deleting the dosbox files to kill the program, that worked but now the programs that were trying to open in dosbox are just blank and don't know what to open with... How do i get rid of dosbox all together?

i also tried system restore and it didnt know what to open with, so thats out.

someone plz help!

Reply 1 of 19, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm either having a deja vu, or a post with the exact same wording and/or topic was already made some time ago. Couldn't find it now though, I don't know how to use the search function properly (Ahem...).

Anyway, DOSBox definitely didn't mess up anything. That's utter nonsense. Tens or even hundreds of thousands of people have installed DOSBox, and it certainly didn't mess up their computers.

The possibilites are:
a) you messed up your computer yourself
b) some other program messed up your computer
c) you computer and/or OS was messed up to begin with

Experience suggests that a) is most likely the case. You've failed to supply any useful information (like for example which OS you're using, which DOSBox version, etc.), but my amazing powers of deduction tell me that you're probably on some incarnation of Windows. It looks like you've told Windows to open all either .exe (unlikely) or .lnk (more likely) files with DOSBox. That was a mistake, obviously. Can't remember how to fix that now, though. If you fiddle with the forum search you'll probably be able to find the solution.

Reply 3 of 19, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I think you right clicked on an exe and selected run with dosbox.
This comes up on our email every month or so.
This is NOT how you should use dosbox, nor do we say so in our documentation.

Search for (in google) exe association fix
or something similar. Good luck

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 19, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

As QBix said this is NOT caused by installing DOSBox but by the user force-associating
executables with some program (in this case DOSBox).
So search the web for "what do i do if i've told windows to open executables
with a different program" if the posted links above don't help.

Reply 8 of 19, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks HunterZ, those were the threads I was looking for! One day I will understand how to use the search function properly.

Hmmm... Would it make sense to add a "Don't do this!"-line about associating DOSBox with .exe files in the DOSBox manual? The issue obviously doesn't crop up very often compared to others, but we could maybe save other users from making the same mistake (and wrongly accusing DOSBox of being the source of the problem).

Reply 10 of 19, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Qbix wrote:

if they read the manual, they would never have done that in the first place...

Not without an explicit warning... Saying that you can/should do something one way is not necessarily the same thing as saying that you can't/shouldn't to do it another.

Reply 14 of 19, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

- Noone would ever be inclined to do that because PS doesn't process executables. I'll bet that people *do* bug them all the time about how to undo association of image files with PS, though!

- Should people start doing that en-masse for some reason, Adobe *would* likely address it on a wide level because they have to care about making money from the reputation of their product.

Case in point: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/315/315812.html

Reply 19 of 19, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RobertCaseyDavis wrote:

None of you even tried to answer the question, you only mocked the person who asked. I registered an account on this forum just to tell you all you're worthless and can go to Hell.

Nice thread necro for a thread whose last post was 9 years ago.

And the answers did tell the poster what they needed to do to get the information to fix it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK